2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
F1NAC

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

One thing is for sure. This year cannot be as bad as last year. So I’m optimistic

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

NOT advice, but with all the negative sentiment out there after testing it’d be a good time to put a big gamble on Ferrari taking out the championship this year. That’s what I did lol.

LM10
LM10

Ferrari will be fine. They’ll be fighting for the title if they do (much) better strategically than last year. I hope they’ll not hesitate to nominate a number one driver - likely Charles - as soon as it’s clear he has a chance winning it.

I have absolute zero doubts about them having built another beast of a car. They’ve proven multiple times recently that their weakness lies somewhere else.

nico5

To back up the "same downforce, 10kph less drag" claim, this is a comparison of lap 3 of Leclerc's 2022 race and Sainz's very last run with (supposedly) a new floor and most likely on lap 1 fuel. Pretty similar cornering time and speeds (except where Carlos was lifting in T6 and 12 (Leclerc and Max had a lot of deg last year pushing it) and T10, where they struggled all testing). But way more straightline speed, despite not being on full power.

37.7 is great compared to Hamilton's 38.9, as Hamilton's speed is similar to 2022 w the same RW once he was in free air, so you would expect the gap to be similar once they both turn up their engines. Also Hamilton pushing the tires more through T12 on this specific run-best laps.

Their problem is RB showed they can do a 37.1 on full power during the day on lap 1 of a full race sim, which Ferrari can most certainly match once they turn everything up, but Max did a 37.5 average stint in the night with the engine turned down which is quite scary if, as I suspect comparing it to Perez in the day, he was on a full tank. That's a 0.4 gap if that's right barring engine and ERS maps.

EDIT: to be fair to Mercedes, their run was early in the afternoon, track conditions would have been worse, but Perez did that 37.1 at something like 12:30PM still...

JPower
JPower

jambuka
jambuka

Ferrari themselves don’t know where they are 😜

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

jambuka wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 20:06
Ferrari themselves don’t know where they are 😜
That's somewhat true to be fair. Ferrari have not yet reached an optimal setup and if they do, they'll gain some speed.

f1316
f1316

I think this confirms (presuming it’s true) that the other teams also know that Ferrari did not approach the test in the same way - ie it was not a preparation for optimising race 1, it was a data gathering exercise. Red Bull would have seen this and make many of the same inferences we are.

This is neither definitively good nor bad but just is - it is true that Ferrari themselves won’t have the on track data to know for sure what their pace is but they will have the data to ensure correlation with the simulator so they can now prepare. The confidence (and the words) implies correlation is good.

Vanja #66

nico5 wrote:
28 Feb 2023, 13:41
To back up the "same downforce, 10kph less drag" claim, this is a comparison of lap 3 of Leclerc's 2022 race and Sainz's very last run with (supposedly) a new floor and most likely on lap 1 fuel. Pretty similar cornering time and speeds (except where Carlos was lifting in T6 and 12 (Leclerc and Max had a lot of deg last year pushing it) and T10, where they struggled all testing). But way more straightline speed, despite not being on full power.

Great stuff, thanks for sharing!
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

FDD
FDD

Actually we need this:

“Brown: Michael, You have 19 laps to pull out 25 SECONDS.
We need 19 QUALIFYING LAPS from You.
Schumacher: OK. Thank You.”

Henk_v
Henk_v

I think the difference between Sainz and Leclerc was magnified in '22. Sainz was dealt some bad cards and by that time lost his equal footing with Leclerc. I'd consider a slim chance Sainz will be the top dog this season. Leclerc does not seem to grow. Keeps making mistakes and it just seems too easy for other drivers to get into his head. And that includes Sainz.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

I assume this should be here and not the car thread, but the line has gotten grey for me.

Anyway, comparison between F1-75 and SF23. Impressive that in all but 2 corners, the SF-23 is stronger everywhere. If you click the link and open the thread it also compared the RB18-19 and the W13-14 too.

Particularly impressive for me is that the SF-23 is stronger everywhere but those two corners, WITH this skinny rear wing. I think this really serves to prove the ‘same load/more efficiency’ comment. I think it’s also impressive the margin by which the SF-23 is stronger than the F1-75, even in the corners despite the narrative that has emerged from testing. The same is not the case for the RB19 or the W14 over their predecessors.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPBD1990 wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:03
I assume this should be here and not the car thread, but the line has gotten grey for me.

Anyway, comparison between F1-75 and SF23. Impressive that in all but 2 corners, the SF-23 is stronger everywhere. If you click the link and open the thread it also compared the RB18-19 and the W13-14 too.

Particularly impressive for me is that the SF-23 is stronger everywhere but that one corner, with this skinny rear wing. I think this really serves to prove the ‘same load/more efficiency’ comment. I think it’s also impressive the margin by which the SF-23 is stronger than the F1-75. The same is not the case for the RB19 or the W14 over their predecessors.

This guy doesn't acknowledge that we don't know fuel loads, engine modes, the "newness" of the regulations, or the effect of the new tires when comparing the best lap from pre-season last year to a best lap of pre-season this year.

We need to be more selective of the content that gets brought to this forum and passed off as "analysis". There's an increasing amount of "twitter analyst" who have been unleashed thanks to the f1python api. They seem to specialize in generating colorful plots that lack critical analysis of the information contained within.

JPower
JPower

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:07

This guy doesn't acknowledge that we don't know fuel loads, engine modes, the "newness" of the regulations, or the effect of the new tires when comparing the best lap from pre-season last year to a best lap of pre-season this year.

We need to be more selective of the content that gets brought to this forum and passed off as "analysis". There's an increasing amount of "twitter analyst" who have been unleashed thanks to the f1python api. They seem to specialize in generating colorful plots that lack critical analysis of the information contained within.
His analysis is usually pretty good. Have been following since 2020. Would definitely not classify his work as junk by any stretch regardless of his lack of context in that post. It was just a surface level comparison.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

JPower wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:27
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Mar 2023, 01:07

His analysis is usually pretty good. Have been following since 2020. Would definitely not classify his work as junk by any stretch regardless of his lack of context in that post. It was just a surface level comparison.
Okay. I'll take your word for it. I didn't look at his other content, but this post in particular is dangerously misleading. Like comparing apples to oranges with no context and calling it good. The post offers absolutely zero insight into how much better the SF23 is than the SF-75 because there is no basis to assume the laps are like for like or anything close to.