2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Emag
Emag

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Tqm3W.html

I think people putting McLaren at 10th as the slowest team are very wrong.

The comments made by Stella during launch, in addition to the not so good testing form has made people jump to very negative conclusions.

I would honestly be very surprised if they are anywhere lower than the 6th fastest team in Bahrain.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mclaren is not 10th.....

Mclaren will be behind Alpine and Aston Martin at worst so basically they'll be no worse than 6th in the WCC.
A lion must kill its prey.

SmallSoldier
SmallSoldier

Emag wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:09
https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... Tqm3W.html

I think people putting McLaren at 10th as the slowest team are very wrong.

The comments made by Stella during launch, in addition to the not so good testing form has made people jump to very negative conclusions.

I would honestly be very surprised if they are anywhere lower than the 6th fastest team in Bahrain.
Yep… A lot of the rankings based on “feelings” and biased based on the comments made… Even before a single lap in testing was done, there was already doom and gloom simply because they preferred to do their shakedown in Bahrain instead of Silverstone… And the issues with the wheel brow exacerbated it.

Macklaren
Macklaren

FittingMechanics wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 16:11

Btw I am not sure why are people here so against any kind of criticism? Is this supposed to be just positive comments about the team?
Criticism is totally fine and even welcome...but 75% of the negative comments in this group over the last month have been pure trolling/baiting

EddyBaggio

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:12
Mclaren is not 10th.....

Mclaren will be behind Alpine and Aston Martin at worst so basically they'll be no worse than 6th in the WCC.
Alfa Romeo locks to be at a much better place than McL for the start of the season at least. We will see after Baku if we can make up lost ground.

Chicane
Chicane

Norris echoing my thoughts.

"We're behind where we should be and where we want to be. What we want to be having in Baku should be what we're starting the season with – if we want to be a top team".

https://www.pitdebrief.com/post/norris- ... -last-year
Quickshifter

101FlyingDutchman
101FlyingDutchman

Chicane wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 18:51

"We're behind where we should be and where we want to be. What we want to be having in Baku should be what we're starting the season with – if we want to be a top team"
Sweet. It’s good to see the targets set for this season were ambitious. But talk is cheap, the tech team now has to deliver the goods and start that real curve to ‘24 with all the new tools in place.
Trust the process for now.

Macklaren
Macklaren

Chicane wrote:

"We're behind where we should be and where we want to be. What we want to be having in Baku should be what we're starting the season with – if we want to be a top team".

another important quote...
"I don't think we're in a bad position which I guess is the main thing. We're just not in a good of a position as what everyone would be expecting and we were probably expecting from ourselves.

MO.
MO.

Perhaps too early to write 2023 off already as some have already done, but lets not be naive.

McLaren and Brown have publically stated that their objectives are to win races and championships again ... Simulator and Wind Tunnel aside, it is not unreasonable to expect tangible progress prior to these tools and technologies coming online.
So far what we have seen from last year going into this year, is that 'balls have been dropped' - 'targets set too low' - 'targets not met' etc.

Excuses to me at least are wearing thin, on the Cologne wind tunnel - As some have asked, why are we not using Mercedes's one or any other, until ours is complete ?
Brake issue last year, was in Keys words ' Something is not correlating '

If AM can make the rapid progress that we saw from last year to what they are being hyped to already, then surely questions need to be asked on our technical personell, and whether they are fit for purpose ( to win again )
If this is what they ( AM ) can do, without the use of their new state of the art facilities, surely that looks ominous, for the future.

Budget is moot, as both us and AM are at the budget cap, so no advantage there.

From what we know today - McLaren appear to have regressed, and fans are rightly concerned / worried

haza
haza

Chicane wrote:

This kind of confirms my suspicion that we’re not going to see the real mcl60 till Baku an what we’re seeing now is the car McLaren wanted at the end of last year seems to be similar story with Mercedes

Capharol
Capharol

AR3-GP wrote:
Mclaren is not 10th.....

which means following ranking

RB, Ferrari, Mercedes (Aston Martin), Aston Martin (Mercedes), Alpine, Mc Laren .....
which means, another place lost in Team-Ranking (as they ended 5th last season), which means, no progression...

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Like I mentioned earlier, my strong suspicions are we'll effectively see a B car in Baku, of course, that's open to interpretation, but I do feel that's what's in the pipeline. As forthcoming as McLaren has been, it would be a very bad look to say you'll have a B car before the season starts, most teams take that route when the season starts and realise early they got it wrong. But for McLaren to talk about B car before the season starts, imagine what these journos would say, they'd have a field day. I'm not saying the got it wrong, but it seems they found a much better way, which may be in a very different development direction.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Chicane wrote:

That's definitely a shot fired by Norris to Zak and Stella, via the media.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

Capharol wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 20:17
AR3-GP wrote:
Mclaren is not 10th.....

which means following ranking

RB, Ferrari, Mercedes (Aston Martin), Aston Martin (Mercedes), Alpine, Mc Laren .....
which means, another place lost in Team-Ranking (as they ended 5th last season), which means, no progression...
Only at the very start of the season. What is important is the car we have at the end of the season. We may have to wait until Race 4 to have the car we want, but that doesn't mean it won't be a great car and be pushing us back to 4th fastest with a clear development path to get us closer to 3rd.

And bear in mind that these predictions are based on a car that last year did not like this track, and not just because of the brakes. We got to Australia and had a blinder and the car was much better than everyone predicted after the Bahrain test and race.

Patience young padawan.
Last edited by mwillems on 02 Mar 2023, 21:26, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

McL-H
McL-H

Ground Effect wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 20:42
Like I mentioned earlier, my strong suspicions are we'll effectively see a B car in Baku, of course, that's open to interpretation, but I do feel that's what's in the pipeline. As forthcoming as McLaren has been, it would be a very bad look to say you'll have a B car before the season starts, most teams take that route when the season starts and realise early they got it wrong. But for McLaren to talk about B car before the season starts, imagine what these journos would say, they'd have a field day. I'm not saying the got it wrong, but it seems they found a much better way, which may be in a very different development direction.
Stella said the Baku update is not a B-car. However, it was said during testing that Mercedes might be preparing to introduce a B-car mid-season if the current concept does not proof to be competitive. So at least we’re not the only ones that seem to be fooling around.

Realistically, if the Baku update gives us the fire power to come at Alpine and Stroll, nobody would care how you’d call it. It would proof to be the best possible move, IF the team manages to quickly extract the performance out of it. That could take until some time after Baku. Let’s just wait and see how it turns out.