Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
CMC
CMC

Re: Mercedes W14

KeiKo403 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:56
Is there 2 stays there? One in front of the suspension (normal floor stay) and another at the back by diffuser roof/beam wing?
This was also seen on their physical launch car (though not the render version). See the first post on page 10 of this thread.

organic

It's normal for every car don't worry guys :D

carisi2k

Forget about the rear wing as that is just the effect of the issues they have which start at the front wheel. Regardless of what rear wing they bring, the only thing that might help them is something to sort out the issues they have with aero instability.

ringo

KeiKo403 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 17:56
organic wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 16:57
Porpoising is aggravated by higher downforce levels. To test whether they have resolved porpoising they therefore tried everything they could to make it happen, hence the larger rear wing
I get that starting a response with ‘with all due respect’ can sound very passive aggressive but I really don’t intend it to. :oops:

With all due respect and apologies if it’s just a turn of phrase but did they try everything they could? Wouldn’t a better test be to slam, for want of a better phrase, the floor to the track surface and run with a lower downforce wing? It was the intended low ground clearance of the W13 which caused the porpoising wasn’t it, raising the car up and replacing the lost downforce with the big rear wing was a way to limit the bouncing whilst still retaining some level of good downforce at the expense of drag.

Don’t get me wrong they know what they’re doing better than me but it strikes me that they either know their car has inherent problems once again :evil: or they’re hiding a beast of a car [-o< .
(Or, for completeness, they have an alright car which they can build on through the season :lol: )
No, it's best to use the higher load wing and not slam the car. This way the suspension can go through a wider range of motion and the relationship between suspension and aero can be better analyzed.
Remember the reason the W13 was a failure was mainly to do with the suspension and its poor "symbiosis" with the floor aero for lack of better terms.

This is why I am optimistic about the W14. It may not start off as fastest, but it can be tuned and improved. I am sure they resolved the suspension issues and have a more unfettered scope for changes with aero and setup if they need to play catch up.
Last edited by ringo on 02 Mar 2023, 22:33, edited 1 time in total.
For Sure!!

scuderiabrandon

KeiKo403 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 19:56
Is there 2 stays there? One in front of the suspension (normal floor stay) and another at the back by diffuser roof/beam wing?
This is fairly common practice for most teams

chrisc90

Is there any evidence of other teams running more than 1 stay?

Im sure that running 2 stays wasnt allowed last year, so unless rules have changed? I mean look back to Canada? when Merc rocked up with a second stay, and they werent allowed to run it.

Ive never noticed any diffuser stays on other cars off the top of my head.

Stu

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:30

Im sure that running 2 stays wasnt allowed last year, so unless rules have changed? I mean look back to Canada? when Merc rocked up with a second stay, and they werent allowed to run it.

The other stay is for the diffuser, all cars use it.
Perspective - Understanding that sometimes the truths we cling to depend greatly on our own point of view.

organic

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Mar 2023, 22:30

Here's the rb18's

PlatinumZealot

I am honestly really impressed that Mercedes can now use the Ferrari styled wing!

I'm not sure what has changed but this wing should be more efficient than the old one.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AA_2019
AA_2019

PlatinumZealot wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 04:34
I am honestly really impressed that Mercedes can now use the Ferrari styled wing!

I'm not sure what has changed but this wing should be more efficient than the old one.
Can you elaborate on why this medium DF rear wing should be more efficient than the old W13 medium DF rear wing
One day AI might be able to fix the W13 zero pod concept !

Venturiation
Venturiation

changes from 22

Last edited by Venturiation on 03 Mar 2023, 12:10, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Changes compared to 2022 car, not upgrades

Normally the documents are just listing upgrades but for first race they seem to be listing everything they've changed since last year's car.

Venturiation
Venturiation

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:09

Normally the documents are just listing upgrades but for first race they seem to be listing everything they've changed since last year's car.

but they have to list even race 1 upgrades i think

organic

Venturiation wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:12
organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:09

but they have to list even race 1 upgrades i think
Yes the document this week is changes from 2022 + any race 1 upgrades, but doesn't seem like any of the top teams are declaring any of those

organic