Mercedes W14

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.

Re: Mercedes W14

organic wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:30
They must be confident with the new wing, it doesn’t look like they’re doing a back-to-back vs. the old if RUS has this wing. Or is it HAM with the old?
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

Andi76
Andi76

I'll now quote what Toto Wolff just said on Sky Germany with regard to the sidepods: "We'll soon bring ourselves up to a level that will look more similar to that of the competition." So it should be clear that Mercedes is abandoning the Zeropods with the announced changes to the sidepods and is making a creeping, gradual change.

Vanja #66

Andi76 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 12:46
I'll now quote what Toto Wolff just said on Sky Germany with regard to the sidepods: "We'll soon bring ourselves up to a level that will look more similar to that of the competition." So it should be clear that Mercedes is abandoning the Zeropods with the announced changes to the sidepods and is making a creeping, gradual change.
I think the level is a reference to lap time, not the overall looks.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mantikos
mantikos

Andi76 wrote:
Shov disagrees :

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mantikos wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:09
Andi76 wrote:
Shov disagrees :
Could you point to a specific timestamp?

Femi
Femi

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:17
mantikos wrote:
Andi76 wrote:
Shov disagrees :
From about 2:15. They are focusing on adding performance and will look at where they are in the first few races. Nowhere was an affirmation of a decision to change concept.

stonehenge
stonehenge

Femi wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:24
AR3-GP wrote:
mantikos wrote:

Shov disagrees :
From about 2:15. They are focusing on adding performance and will look at where they are in the first few races. Nowhere was an affirmation of a decision to change concept.
Yeah Shov said that there's no point in copying someone else's concept because you take a step back first before going forward and he said that they're gonna bring evolutions of their own concept. So basically the same thing as other Merc people have been saying.

Do you have a link to the Sky Germany interview with Toto? Would love to listen to it but "level" does seem like he's talking more about matching the performance of the other teams and not their side pod concepts.

ringo

Hamilton also confirms this. Rubished a plan B car and that the car would have to be made from scratch. They don't have the budget to do that. So it looks like they are locked into zero pods for better or worse.
For Sure!!

Henk_v
Henk_v

I expect somewhatmorepods.

morefirejules08
morefirejules08

Henk_v wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:38
I expect somewhatmorepods.
Based on?

Andi76
Andi76

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:01
Andi76 wrote:
I think the level is a reference to lap time, not the overall looks.
No, i think i did not translate it well. It was purely about the sidepods and the reporter said that it surprised many that Mercedes has remained with the concept. Wolff then said (all in German and I'm German) that Mercedes will soon change them and the sidepods will then look very similar to those of the competition.

ferkan
ferkan

Bringing sidepods more in line to competition =/= copying RBs/Ferrari's concept 1:1

I expect them to bring buliker sidepods then they currently run, but it will be mix of solutions that fit more to what they currently have then spec B car that looks like RB.

Andi76
Andi76

stonehenge wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 15:34
Femi wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Yeah Shov said that there's no point in copying someone else's concept because you take a step back first before going forward and he said that they're gonna bring evolutions of their own concept. So basically the same thing as other Merc people have been saying.

Do you have a link to the Sky Germany interview with Toto? Would love to listen to it but "level" does seem like he's talking more about matching the performance of the other teams and not their side pod concepts.

Well - either he's right or Toto is. Why should Wolff suddenly lie to the German media? Especially him, who has practically always said the same thing that Shovlin is still shouting down and has always (until just now) stubbornly defended the sidepods? Maybe Shovlin doesn't even know that Toto has decided to bury this concept? We will see. The fact is that Wolff has clearly stated that the sidepods will soon look very similar to those of the competition. Unfortunately there is no link. It was on Sky Germanys live broadcast before FP1 45 min. before the start of FP1.

Femi
Femi

Andi76 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 16:31
stonehenge wrote:
Femi wrote:

Well - either he's right or Toto is. Why should Wolff suddenly lie to the German media? Especially him, who has practically always said the same thing that Shovlin is still shouting down and has always (until just now) stubbornly defended the sidepods? Maybe Shovlin doesn't even know that Toto has decided to bury this concept? We will see. The fact is that Wolff has clearly stated that the sidepods will soon look very similar to those of the competition. Unfortunately there is no link. It was on Sky Germanys live broadcast before FP1 45 min. before the start of FP1.
I found this:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... chUOU.html

Big Tea

Femi wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 17:00
Andi76 wrote:
03 Mar 2023, 16:31
stonehenge wrote:

I found this:

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... chUOU.html
it won't be the same as other people’s and it won’t be the same as we’ve got, it’ll be different, only leaves 'smaller' then? Minus pods
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.