2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

dialtone wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:20
It does seem real though that Ferrari is losing a bit in T1, T8 and T10, they'll need to work on that stuff I suppose during the 3 weeks break. This is a good video to understand the telemetry:

Ferrari is great under braking, they gain a lot there.
The other part is that Ferrari is losing time in the straights even with DRS on, which IMHO means the engine is turned down, like I said in my analysis already, of course the assumption is that they are efficient with their wing and aero that they should be hitting great top speed and have great acceleration.

What remains to hope for is that the car was running with understeer in T1-T8-T10 because of more fuel onboard, even just 10kg more are enough to justify the gap, 20kg more and they would be ahead by as much as they are behind now.

The team seems confident though, Leclerc hasn't said that they sucked, Fred seemed happy, however it goes there's not much we can do to change it anyway. It's obvious that the technical solutions at RedBull work very well if applied the same at Aston Martin they brought that car up to fight for wins.

On the other hand it really shows that Merc challenges aren't due to a less powerful engine but their concept is just bad.
I'm curious why no one bothered to put Alonso's trace in this video, seeing as he set the fastest time. It would be more enlightening.

dialtone
dialtone

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:23
I'm curious why no one bothered to put Alonso's trace in this video, seeing as he set the fastest time. It would be more enlightening.
There's this:

Most of Alonso's gains came in S3 really. Decent at braking but the RBR is better in the corner. I've read the AM is great at traction but is that because the car is lighter and/or is using higher engine mode or because it genuinely is superior?

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:35
AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:23
There's this:

Most of Alonso's gains came in S3 really. Decent at braking but the RBR is better in the corner. I've read the AM is great at traction but is that because the car is lighter and/or is using higher engine mode or because it genuinely is superior?
Hmm...perhaps the video we need to see is Alonso-Hamilton (to see if AM was using a higher PU mode relative to Mercedes/Ferrari).

I checked Alonso-Hamilton on f1-tempo but it's difficult to see if the engine modes are the same or not because the AM is clearly carrying more drag (but also more df), than the Mercedes. The AM top speeds are slow.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Very interesting video. Shows ferrari are fantastic under braking, which must be said is new over last year. I remember an analysis here I think at imola lambasting Ferrari for how much better under braking redbull was.

I think it also shows that Ferrari has nothing on corner exit/straight. It could be poor traction on exit, but from onboards of FP2 I haven’t seen evidence of that - so one presumes it’s just a sheer lack of engine mode.

Combine that with higher fuel which, based on Ferrari’s FP2 strategy from the second half of last season I have to say is quite likely, and I’m still confident Ferrari has the pace for pole and possibly for the win.

I will concede that redbulls race pace seems supreme, but as others have said - either they are so much faster than the rest of the field they’ll lap them all, or they’re simulating later stints in the race (ie lower fuel) than the Ferrari’s.

Time will tell

organic

Ferrari was the best car on the brakes in 2022

LM10
LM10

JPBD1990 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 02:46
Very interesting video. Shows ferrari are fantastic under braking, which must be said is new over last year.
The F1-75 was the best car under braking by a mile last season. Same goes for traction. Up until TD39.

I can’t remember any particular weakness regarding braking or traction from Ferrari in the last seasons. They’ve always been good at that.

f1316
f1316

JPBD1990 wrote:
Very interesting video. Shows ferrari are fantastic under braking, which must be said is new over last year. I remember an analysis here I think at imola lambasting Ferrari for how much better under braking redbull was.

I think it also shows that Ferrari has nothing on corner exit/straight. It could be poor traction on exit, but from onboards of FP2 I haven’t seen evidence of that - so one presumes it’s just a sheer lack of engine mode.

Combine that with higher fuel which, based on Ferrari’s FP2 strategy from the second half of last season I have to say is quite likely, and I’m still confident Ferrari has the pace for pole and possibly for the win.

I will concede that redbulls race pace seems supreme, but as others have said - either they are so much faster than the rest of the field they’ll lap them all, or they’re simulating later stints in the race (ie lower fuel) than the Ferrari’s.

Time will tell
Yeah this is my read - corner exit is their issue. If that’s all poor traction then Leclerc is telling the truth - and it could be that he/they suspect Red Bull are just as turned down/overweight as Ferrari - but it seems particularly surprising that Ferrari would be poor on exit and nothing special on the straights, given their setup and everything we’ve heard about the PU.

I suspect not drawing attention to themselves and their engine (reliability) gains has been a conscious effort over the winter.

nico5

f1316 wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 12:18
JPBD1990 wrote:

Time will tell
Yeah this is my read - corner exit is their issue. If that’s all poor traction then Leclerc is telling the truth - and it could be that he/they suspect Red Bull are just as turned down/overweight as Ferrari - but it seems particularly surprising that Ferrari would be poor on exit and nothing special on the straights, given their setup and everything we’ve heard about the PU.

I suspect not drawing attention to themselves and their engine (reliability) gains has been a conscious effort over the winter.
This telemetry is not telling the whole story. Ferrari just had massive understeer into all the slow speed corners (8 and 10), of course you're going to be on throttle later if you go hard on entry like Leclerc does, but that's not the point, is it? Whether the understeer is down to fuel loads or inherent in the car today will tell. What I will say is the car looked pretty easy in the long run, entry, mid-corner and exit, and that tells me the balance is not bad.
Turn 1 is a bit of a different thing, they just take a narrower line, they did the same last year, maybe to save the rears into 2. The rear left closes the lap 25°C over the performance target so it might not be such a bad idea even in quali. Last year turn 1-2 was the only low speed corner they were losing in every lap, except the quali lap.
The RB-Alpha Tauri (1.4s) and Ferrari-Haas (0.0s) gaps might as well give something away regarding fuel loads

Juzh

Just by listening to leclerc's onboard on fast lap you can hear engine doesnt rev as fast as it should. Last year it was the same, "lazy" car and "unwilling" to do anything remarkable, that is right up until it had to for qualifying.

JPower
JPower

I think they’re still holding relative to the other teams. The S3 times just seem oddly slow relative to the comp.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

FP3 time:

DISASTER. O my God, o my dear Lord, clear behind RB, Aston Martin. Even Mercedes appears to be faster.

Lets hope qualifying is better. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<

wowgr8
wowgr8

So the values look like they did at the end of last season which shouldn't be surprising, except AM made a massive leap.

JPower
JPower

Fer.Fan wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:46
FP3 time:

DISASTER. O my God, o my dear Lord, clear behind RB, Aston Martin. Even Mercedes appears to be faster.

Lets hope qualifying is better. [-o< [-o< [-o< [-o<
:roll:

jumpingfish

Hope they will save tyres for the race (running on used in Q3-Q2) and turn off engines during free practices to save their lifetime.

organic

Leclerc got damage on first lap of quali at beginning of lap I think

Then locked up into T1