2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Mercedes-AMG | Petronas F1 Team

They will put the large rear wing on I think. Russell showed he can get a tenth off Hamilton with it and it will look after the tyres much better. The degradation in the long run with the medium wing yesterday was quite bad

Additionally in the cooler temperatures in the evening, the problem of getting the tyres into the working window will most likely return. What Merc need is a hot track temp for quali, but it is a night race.

stonehenge
stonehenge

organic wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:35
They will put the large rear wing on I think. Russell showed he can get a tenth off Hamilton with it and it will look after the tyres much better. The degradation in the long run with the medium wing yesterday was quite bad
Did Lewis run the larger rear wing at any point during the weekend? I'm not saying you're wrong, just seems kinda risky. Nico Rosberg said during the Sky coverage that it's unusual to still be considering two different wings at this point because, usually, the computer dictates which wing to run for which track. Seems like Mercedes are still scratching the surface in terms of understanding their car. Which, if they end up 2 tenths off is probably good. If they end up a second off the pace...not so much. Let's wait and see.

DGP123
DGP123

They won’t be 0.2 tenths off in Q, nearer the 0.5+ mark. There is two seconds to come off these times, and that’s when RB will unleash what they’ve got.

Mercedes should be third/fourth row.

kenshi_blind

organic wrote:

Additionally in the cooler temperatures in the evening, the problem of getting the tyres into the working window will most likely return. What Merc need is a hot track temp for quali, but it is a night race.
Russel is not a tenth off Lewis, looking only at the time sheet will give that impression but Lewis had a bad 3rd sector due to Albon messing with him .. the real split should be around 4.5 tenth

kenshi_blind wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 14:46
organic wrote:

Russel is not a tenth off Lewis, looking only at the time sheet will give that impression but Lewis had a bad 3rd sector due to Albon messing with him .. the real split should be around 4.5 tenth
It had more to do with tyre temps into the last sector I think. HAM radio’d in something about starting the lap too high.
Team ANTI-HYPE. Prove it, then I’ll anoint you.

kenshi_blind

Perhaps but the radio message was about the rear temp when he started the Qualy run. In any case he got impede by Albon..that was clearly visible on his onboad

De Jokke

https://www.gpblog.com/en/news/185000/m ... visor.html

so they need technical people and are hiring hr people #-o
Mercedes AMG + Hamilton => dreamteam!
If you can't beat'em, call Masi!

Juzh

kenshi_blind wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:08
Perhaps but the radio message was about the rear temp when he started the Qualy run. In any case he got impede by Albon..that was clearly visible on his onboad
Does this look like impeding to you?
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 06 Mar 2023, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: politness

PlatinumZealot

Hamilton clearly didn't give 100% in the 3rd sector which is not even a downforce sector. It's really about 4 tenths IMO. The low DF wing is what you need in the bahrain race. Guys we a looking good. A podium will feel like a win.

🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

De Jokke

PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:49
Hamilton clearly didn't give 100% in the 3rd sector which is not even a downforce sector. It's really about 4 tenths IMO. The low DF wing is what you need in the bahrain race. Guys we a looking good. A podium will feel like a win.

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png
I hope so but I'm expecting --- within an hour. They drove a second slower than in fp2, so merc will be way behind in Quali

PlatinumZealot

Correction. the last sector starts at the exit of a high speed turn... but overall the low DF wing shouldn't be a detriment in that sector.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

De Jokke wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:54
PlatinumZealot wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:49

https://www.formula1.com/content/dam/fo ... /image.png
I hope so but I'm expecting --- within an hour. They drove a second slower than in fp2, so merc will be way behind in Quali
FYI, track temps is hotter in FP3, so the track is literally second(s) slower. Fuel and engine are the unknowns.

atanatizante

organic wrote:

It seems that they tried both wings on different soft tyres in the two times when they were running for qualy hot laps

I know that we don't know the fuel loads and engine mappings but in the middle of the session HAM did a 319kph with the new wing and new soft tyres with RUS running the old one reaching 313kph on scrubbed soft tyres. They both did just 3 laps.

After that both drivers went out again doing a 6 laps stint on the same soft tyres they were uses before both of them running in low to mid 1.36, compared to Ferrari drivers that were on a 10 laps stins on the same scrubbed soft tyres they used in qualy sims and doing high 1.38 and low 1.39... in their qualy LEC did 321 and SAI a 316kph, compared to ALO 318kph, STR 316kph and both RB drivers on 320kph ...

Then in their last qualy sims HAM did a 316kph on scrubbed soft tyres with RUS just 311kph on new soft ones but they were some 6-7 tenths off the first qualy attempt...
"I don`t have all the answers. Try Google!"
Jesus

kenshi_blind

Juzh wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:43
kenshi_blind wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 15:08
Does this look like impeding to you?
I stand corrected...looking at it live i felt Albon impeded him
Last edited by CMSMJ1 on 06 Mar 2023, 11:55, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: ;politness

De Jokke

Still refusing to believe this 'good news' due to the downbeat messages of the drivers yesterday. I hope they come good as this track (rearlimited) exposes the shortcomings of w14 (end won't stick), according to kravitz.

What are you guys hoping for? 4th 5th spot?
I'm expecting around 5-8th