2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sofa King
Sofa King

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Now that AM is a genuine threat to the big three, I wouldn’t be surprised if questions around IP transfer and Green Edition Red Bull resurface. The reality is that such quick disruption in pecking order never happens quietly in F1

GoranF1
GoranF1

Considering track/car caracteristics,which circuits will suite this car more and which less do you think?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Chanman141
Chanman141

I think Aston with the current setup did best in low speed so I guess Monaco could be a great track for this car

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I have a hunch that the team will go very well at the high altitude circuits. The telemetry shows that while the car has good downforce, it's probably carrying a bit too much drag right now. As we saw with Mercedes last season, the drag issue goes away at high altitude.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

I just watched Alonso's lap, and he basically threw away 2 tenths getting all out of shape and running wide onto the exit curb out of the final corner. I checked his lap from Q2 where he did the final corner more cleanly, and it was about 1.5 tenths quicker through there in Q2 than he managed in Q3.

Anyway, as I said previously, qualifying won't be the strong point of this car (and perhaps not the strong point of Alonso anymore...). The car was handling beautifully.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:15
I just watched Alonso's lap, and he basically threw away 2 tenths getting all out of shape and running wide onto the exit curb out of the final corner. I checked his lap from Q2 where he did the final corner more cleanly, and it was about 1.5 tenths quicker through there in Q2 than he managed in Q3.

Anyway, as I said previously, qualifying won't be the strong point of this car (and perhaps not the strong point of Alonso anymore...). The car was handling beautifully.
He himself has said he will need some races to completely adapt and get on with the car (the steering isn't 100% to his liking yet and de la Rosa said it would need time to fix it still) so I wouldn't be so harsh on him yet. He did the amazing Australia and Canada laps last year.

Regardless as I have said before it is true that he has lost a little bit in qualy, but he's 41 years old for god's sake. There are people in the grid at their peak with 15 years less who are still lesser drivers, it doesn't speak well for them really.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
04 Mar 2023, 23:21
AR3-GP wrote:

He himself has said he will need some races to completely adapt and get on with the car (the steering isn't 100% to his liking yet and de la Rosa said it would need time to fix it still) so I wouldn't be so harsh on him yet. He did the amazing Australia and Canada laps last year.

Regardless as I have said before it is true that he has lost a little bit in qualy, but he's 41 years old for god's sake. There are people in the grid at their peak with 15 years less who are still lesser drivers, it doesn't speak well for them really.
Oh I absolutely was not intending to be harsh. Moreso optimism/copium/hopium that he had another 2 tenths in that lap without the mistake and that they are even closer than it looks on 1 lap :lol: . I know it's all coulda shoulda woulda nonsense but I like to hope :)

Mansell89
Mansell89

AR3-GP wrote:

Yeah the car just got away from him on the final corner so definitely a little bit of lap time on the table there.

Car was lovely in the middle sector and I’m hoping that is where it really takes care of it’s tyres as the handling looks tidy and therefore I think race pace should come a little more naturally for this car than Ferrari for example.

Could be a lot of action down to Turn one as Perez is not going to toe the line which could open up opportunities and also put Max into desperately defending so I hope Fred can get away well but more importantly get cleanly through the opening sequence.

Tough ask against Red Bull but a good start may open up the options.

organic

Staying out of any problems is the most important thing at the start as if Ferrari haven't improved a lot since fp2 then Fernando will have the race pace to beat them just on merit I think. The high deg and two stops will mean there are opportunities to pass not only on track but also with pitstops & strategy

KimiRai
KimiRai

Even if Aston do bad pitstops due to the pressure, and Fernando doesn't get a good start due to new procedures and all, it's still just the start. Due to having such a great car people have got a little too eager for immediate results. It's all up from here, so be patient.

zeph
zeph

I'm not an Aston Martin guy, but as a longtime Alonso fan you will be seeing a lot more of me this season :-)

Juzh

AR3-GP wrote:
As per f1-tempo net time loss was at most only 0.05s with that mistake in final corner. He took more speed in, but was slow on exit. End result is 0.05s overall loss compared to his Q2 run.

Same with first corner in Q3, he didn't hit the apex but still gained time overall with better exit. Here I'd say he probably did leave some time on the table but not as much as it seems initially.

organic

0.05s vs Q2 probably becomes 1 tenth with track evolution

To me it looked more like a 2 tenths mistake. Jolyon on f1tv was saying that running wide there is a significant loss as the traction once you are too far onto the kerb/onto the sand takes away any laptimes you gain from running wide and far more. I realize you're not saying that it was faster to do it, I just reckon there could be 1-2 tenths in that mistake alone

xReVo
xReVo

Boys is the first race of the season, Alonso's debut in Aston Martin as first qualifying. In 2010, when he made his Ferrari debut, he often made mistakes and age wasn't to blame. That he has 41 is just an advantage as he stated. Nigel Mansell won a world championship at 39 and at 41 he won a race. Then he also said that he needs time to adapt as happened at the beginning with Alpine. Moreover, he hasn't fought for pole since 2013 if not 2012, so he has lost that coldness of a winner. But I'm convinced he bought it back quickly. Finally, tomorrow could make a mistake, but no one should dare to criticize him.

Redragon

I think AM was running too much wing, if they had a bit more speed on the straights, they would have been closer to RB as they were the faster on medium turns today or at least what Sky show on the graphics during qualy. But also they deployment is a bit better than the honda engine

Maybe they have more wing for the tyre management and they are planning on the race more than quali