2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:04
Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:48
So i compared Leclerc first stint this year to his first stint last year (both in free air and with soft tyres).

On average, if my math is correct, he has been 0.142s slower per lap in 2023 compared to 2022.
Unfair comparison. Last year Leclerc was leading, being chased by Max.

This year he probably was just trying to keep the tires given they said before the race that they have to manage it in order to stay ahead of AM.

Ferrari was undone by the rear wing first and foremost. Whatever PU issue Leclerc had, I hope does not recur.
Please be fair. Ferrari had no pace to push Red Bull at any time, SF-23 is just bad and slow car, disaster car. Sorry but lets face it, all of us. SF-23 is disaster and PU is not better.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
So i compared Leclerc first stint this year to his first stint last year (both in free air and with soft tyres).

On average, if my math is correct, he has been 0.142s slower per lap in 2023 compared to 2022.

This year he probably was just trying to keep the tires given they said before the race that they have to manage it in order to stay ahead of AM.

Ferrari was undone by the rear wing first and foremost. Whatever PU issue Leclerc had, I hope does not recur.
Here you can see the lap times

In 2022 Lec pit stop was 2 laps after.
My math was slightly wrong as the source for 2023 lap times doesn't include the first lap (which makes sense due to the standing start). Average gap should 0.125 in favour of 2022.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

The team needs to get the balance sorted ASAP. And make sure that CE issue isn't a chronic one. My only big concern is that until the balance is sorted, the pressure from AM/Merc might prove to be pivotal given their current proximity (especially to Sainz :?). Just would've loved to see them hit the ground running like with the F1-75 second year in a row. Not an ideal start but its a long season.

mizarbarym
mizarbarym

Vasseur: "They are two different topics. The updates that we can bring to the car, which are aimed at pure performance and flying lap, and in this sense we are not too far away."

Vasseur: "Then there is the degradation issue, which is more a question of setup and different aspects, but it doesn't depend on the updates. But, today, our first problem is reliability"

Lets see.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:13
AR3-GP wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

https://abload.de/img/immagine2023-03-05190aqibv.png

My math was slightly wrong as the source for 2023 lap times doesn't include the first lap (which makes sense due to the standing start). Average gap should 0.125 in favour of 2022.
Point taken. Considering that the Pirelli tire is better this year, the laptimes of the SF23 are concerning.

I hope it's just down to using the wrong rear wing. They clearly tried to test the higher load wing, but it was flexing too much.

In spite of your reservations, he would likely have put it on the front row. The car has pace.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Terribly disappointing from the Scuderia. Lots of work must be done in the next couple of weeks to ensure that some competitiveness is to be had, however it is hard to be optimistic. The SF-23 is still bad on the tyres as a result of not having the pace to ease in the tyres. I hope they can bring the solution for the front DF to Jeddah and be more competitive. Still, that gap is so large... and Ferrari were just as fast in the race as last season, which is a bad sign considering Red Bull has improved practically everywhere.

@hotlapmode on twitter says that RB is 0.415% faster per lap than last season while Ferrari are only 0.007% faster. Huge gap(around 7-8 tenths per lap). Making up that much time is practically impossible to be honest. Even if you take the reports of Ferrari missing 4 tenths due to the front wing and rear wing, that's still a huge gap.
Last edited by SoulPancake13 on 05 Mar 2023, 20:36, edited 1 time in total.

Xyz22
Xyz22

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:30
Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:13
AR3-GP wrote:

https://abload.de/img/immagine2023-03-05190aqibv.png

Point taken. Considering that the Pirelli tire is better this year, the laptimes of the SF23 are concerning.

I hope it's just down to using the wrong rear wing. They clearly tried to test the higher load wing, but it was flexing too much.

In spite of your reservations, he would likely have put it on the front row. The car has pace.
Playing a bit with https://www.f1-tempo.com/ you can compare the telemetry of the F1 75 and SF 23 in Bahrain during the first stint.

The SF 23 is way quicker in the straights due to more PU power and better efficiency, but you can really see where the struggles are.

organic

They had 24h of running In testing and 3h in free practice. Even if we consider only evening sessions it is still 13h of running. How is that not enough time to develop at least a decent setup?

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:36
They had 24h of running In testing and 3h in free practice. Even if we consider only evening sessions it is still 13h of running. How is that not enough time to develop at least a decent setup?
In my opinion, there is clearly something that isn't working as expected.
This is why Leclerc was "disappointed" during testing.

The issues of the car are probably a bit "masked" by the grip provided by the soft tyres in quali trim, but in race trim you can really see that, in some parts of the tracks, the car is slower than the F1 75 at the moment. This is probably what they didn't expect using logic.

Check out a random lap on https://www.f1-tempo.com/ and you'll see.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 05 Mar 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
At the first test, the rear wing they wanted to use, snapped in half.

When they finally installed it during race week, it was flexing like a mechanical bull.

It may seem like a small detail but that rear wing was a setup tool they couldn't use.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 05 Mar 2023, 20:43, edited 1 time in total.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

organic wrote:
My guess is that many of the setups were made with the idea that the single pylon wing would be available. Additionally, having the front downforce missing for whatever reason doesn't help either. Still, I see many of the same similarities of the car in the second half of the season unfortunately. --- handling, bad tyre management, but improved straight line speed(yay...)

organic

Well this idea follows what Italian media say about correlation issues. But the attitude of the team members and what Andi said convinced me the car is fine

So I guess after the race I believe the Italian media more than the team again, just like it was under Binotto

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:42
organic wrote:
At the first test, the rear wing they wanted to use, snapped in half.

When they finally installed it during race week, it was flexing like a mechanical bull.

Small things can have a big impact on performance.
Usually you can change wing level substantially and be fine. If not then your car is just a diva and you can't expect to ever nail the setup except a couple of races. You can keep saying "ahh the setup wasn't right" but at some point that's the car having a flaw.

Ferrari upped the beamwing too when they had to use the double pylon and this didn't help. Merc swapped from high to med-low downforce wing and found a setup window for instance, and the w14 isn't the most compliant car

My opinion is the problem is not the wing but the way this car reacts to changes. Porpoising/bouncing even reappeared at the end of the race for 10 laps for sainz as the fuel burned off, which is not happening for any other team this year.
Last edited by organic on 05 Mar 2023, 20:46, edited 1 time in total.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

I am really just shocked by the lack of downforce. First half of last season, the car was incredible in the corner, sure some straight line speed deficiencies but it was managed somewhat well. Now the car is the best(by a small margin) in the straight but reliability not fixed, less grip in the corner, and the same tyre deg. If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.

Alex_Z
Alex_Z

It's a race for 2nd between Ferrari and AMR this season, there is no chance 1 second in race pace can be recovered and that's without RBR bringing any upgrades. Max will be a 5xWDC winner when the new regulations come in. Leclerc should be aiming for Perez' seat in 2024 if he wants to compete for the championship.