2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:45
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:42
organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:36
They had 24h of running In testing and 3h in free practice. Even if we consider only evening sessions it is still 13h of running. How is that not enough time to develop at least a decent setup?
At the first test, the rear wing they wanted to use, snapped in half.

When they finally installed it during race week, it was flexing like a mechanical bull.

Small things can have a big impact on performance.
Usually you can change wing level substantially and be fine. If not then your car is just a diva and you can't expect to ever nail the setup except a couple of races.

Ferrari upped the beamwing too when they had to use the double pylon and this didn't help. Merc swapped from high to med-low downforce wing and found a setup window for instance, and the w14 isn't the most compliant car

My opinion is the problem is not the wing but the way this car reacts to changes. Porpoising/bouncing even reappeared at the end of the race for 10 laps for sainz as the fuel burned off, which is not happening for any other team this year.
Merc swapped to the low/med downforce wing, but they clearly paid the price. They had big tire degradation issues.

A rear wing can be a significant source of grief.

tpe
tpe

Re: Ferrari SF23

tpe wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 18:38
I stopped watching, so I continue if Hamilton passed Sainz for the 4th.
But what was evident in the 1st GO of the season is than for once analyst were correct.

Ferrari is 0.5 behind RB, 0.3 ahead of AM, if the car doesn't break.

And only one of them. The second driver is nowhere near that.
Also, Ferrari is not able to use the tires the way RB does. To be fair no one else can.

So, the way I see it, they have a mountain to climb.
It's a long season. We see if they come up with something that explains the hype during the presentation.
For the guy that downvoted this as out of topic: What exactly is out of topic? Or should we discuss the handle of tires in the teams thread? Get a life.

To mods: I DO know that is THIS is out of topic. So, just delete it.

Fer.Fan
Fer.Fan

Please lets be serious. The problem is not just new rear wing ans single pylon. Problem is car as hole, concept is wrong and too slow. How can Ferrari start seasong with wrong RW? Balance of the car is terrible. I am sorry but the car it self is just too bad, fail car.

wowgr8
wowgr8

SoulPancake13 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:46
If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.
He would be absolutely mad to extend his contract, his agent should be pleading with Mercedes not to re-sign Hamilton. Luckily for Ferrari Norris is there for the picking, that's if he'd accept the offer anyway.

Xyz22
Xyz22

wowgr8 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:03
SoulPancake13 wrote:
If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.
He would be absolutely mad to extend his contract, his agent should be pleading with Mercedes not to re-sign Hamilton. Luckily for Ferrari Norris is there for the picking, that's if he'd accept the offer anyway.
Norris would last 1 month at Ferrari with all due respect.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

wowgr8 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Honestly, not convinced Merc is that much of a better choice... Maybe he begs RB to get rid of Checo and try the best driver lineup in F1 for a long time haha. Either way, that doesn't mean much for Ferrari. A big development is needed in the middle of the season, let's see how it goes. I still have a small amount of hope. To be able to build the monster that was the F1-75 in the first half of the season, means they can replicate their efforts, right?

wowgr8
wowgr8

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:04
wowgr8 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
Norris would last 1 month at Ferrari with all due respect.
He's the best Ferrari are getting if Charles left.

Vanja #66

tpe wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:53
For the guy that downvoted this as out of topic: What exactly is out of topic? Or should we discuss the handle of tires in the teams thread? Get a life.

Why are you asking what's off topic if you know it's off topic? Why are you posting in the car thread stuff unrelated to the car itself? Someone who's been here for 17 years should have learned by now.

Do not continue spamming the car thread, please.

christian.falavena wrote:
The "Box for refill" warning on Lec's steering wheel maybe indicates a pneumatic system's leak? Also Norris stopped a few times for that
It wasn't ICE itself by the looks of it, it was either an electrical issues, one of the pumps or something with pneumatics/hydraulics...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Ok, to be fair I shouldn't have really started this discussion about Charles leaving because it is pure speculation and not relevant to the team right now. I am just really shocked at how Ferrari dropped the ball at Bahrain. Yes, I understand Red Bull had the advantage due to a pure evolution and the pre-existing gap, but for it to worsen instead of somewhat rectify itself is just really bad.

Looking at the data, the soft pace was extremely strong from the Red Bull, while Ferrari was actually the second fastest on the soft with a similar deg rate to both Aston and Merc. On the hards, Ferrari struggled a lot though. Highest deg out of the top 4. Hopefully, the mechanics can get the understeer out of the car and figure out a setup window that works for the car.

86legacy
86legacy

Also, towards the topic at hand, It’s too early to say anything of the Sf-23. The team clearly feel the car has pace in there, but they are obviously missing something important that’s preventing them from setting up the car properly. I don’t even think the issue with Charles’ car is definitively a sign of inherent unreliability, only time will tell though.

Overall, I think Charles’ drive was promising, Carlos left a lot to be desired, but for certain this will be a season that Ferrari has to have be about strong development from race to race. Beneath the surface, I think there is a good car in there.

hape
hape

Still, for what it seems the 2nd fastest car with the same margin to Mercedes as last few races of 2022. So to be fair, in that respect Mercedes didn’t do any better over the winter. RB and AM did a monster job that’s for sure.
Like I said in my previous post, the tyre deg on the SF23 is so high, because of balance problems and lack of speed their drivers have to (over)compensate. The true difference in speed might even be bigger than we saw today. If you look at the onboards of Verstappen… really no sweat like he isn’t pushing at all.
Let’s hope Ferrari can rectify the shortcomings. With only 3 days of testing a week before the first race weekend it was to be expected some teams would have to catch up.

mzso
mzso

wowgr8 wrote:
SoulPancake13 wrote:
It doesn't seem like Ferrari will ever win a championship again. Even when the car is good, they fail. Unless Leclerc has a good exit cause he's f-d.
As for Norris I sooner see him jumping ship from McLaren, if he has any exit clauses. McLaren is the last and the least.
If any of them's lucky RB takes interest and decides to risk two 1st class drivers.

Venturiation
Venturiation

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:11
tpe wrote:

Why are you asking what's off topic if you know it's off topic? Why are you posting in the car thread stuff unrelated to the car itself? Someone who's been here for 17 years should have learned by now.

The "Box for refill" warning on Lec's steering wheel maybe indicates a pneumatic system's leak? Also Norris stopped a few times for that
It wasn't ICE itself by the looks of it, it was either an electrical issues, one of the pumps or something with pneumatics/hydraulics...
it seems that it was the control unit that failed and the engine is fine
https://f1ingenerale.com/f1-gp-bahrain- ... alita/?tlm

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:11
tpe wrote:

I've seen it reported in another forum that it was a control electronics issue which is the part they replaced just before the race.

Duchessa, Albano will confirm it shortly of course.

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

2020? It's been like this since at least 2011.
It's not like we've had much to cheer for post 2012.
4 title challenges that disintegrated at the half way point and a whole lot of "next year will be our year".