2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:04
wowgr8 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:03
SoulPancake13 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 20:46
If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.
He would be absolutely mad to extend his contract, his agent should be pleading with Mercedes not to re-sign Hamilton. Luckily for Ferrari Norris is there for the picking, that's if he'd accept the offer anyway.
Norris would last 1 month at Ferrari with all due respect.
Why ?

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

SoulPancake13 wrote:
I am really just shocked by the lack of downforce. First half of last season, the car was incredible in the corner, sure some straight line speed deficiencies but it was managed somewhat well. Now the car is the best(by a small margin) in the straight but reliability not fixed, less grip in the corner, and the same tyre deg. If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.
Ferrari could bring Hamilton in and pair him with someone like Hulkenberg
But Ferrari should try everything to keep Charles. Sainz imo doesn't deserve another year if he continues like this. I was thinking (I know its very stupid) it wouldn't be worse with Kimi in that n°2 car

F1NAC

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:38
Xyz22 wrote:
wowgr8 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:03

He would be absolutely mad to extend his contract, his agent should be pleading with Mercedes not to re-sign Hamilton. Luckily for Ferrari Norris is there for the picking, that's if he'd accept the offer anyway.
Why ?
Norris was outclassed by Sainz in both seasons. I really hope Ferrari somehow improves and keeps Charles onboard otherwise they are in problem.

Xyz22
Xyz22

F1NAC wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:41
Spoutnik wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

Why ?
Norris was outclassed by Sainz in both seasons. I really hope Ferrari somehow improves and keeps Charles onboard otherwise they are in problem.
Indeed. I'd change Charles only for Max. Anything else would be a downgrade at the moment and Max would be crazy to join Ferrari now.

scuderiabrandon

SoulPancake13 wrote:
I am really just shocked by the lack of downforce. First half of last season, the car was incredible in the corner, sure some straight line speed deficiencies but it was managed somewhat well. Now the car is the best(by a small margin) in the straight but reliability not fixed, less grip in the corner, and the same tyre deg. If I was Leclerc, I'd start looking at options elsewhere, which pains me to say because Charles bleeds Ferrari and has always been with the team since his junior days.
Let's not kid ourselves here. We came into this weekend knowing we were compromised. We left the first day of testing already knowing there was an issue with the front of the car. The more loaded RrWg could've helped with rear tyre degradation had it been available, unfortunately they didn't even have the option. 3 weeks of testing and setup fine tuning wouldn't of put us on terms with Red Bull, with the issues we were facing. Tyre degradation is a product of the balance issues we faced.

I believe the issues mentioned above will be resolved in the short term.

The reliability issues should be the biggest concern as this was probably the main focus point at Maranello over the winter. But I won't jump to any conclusions since the severity of the situation is not yet known.

Recovering will not be a problem in my eyes. Challenging a very clinical Red Bull with a points deficit will be. Every race will require 100% execution and a very aggressive development plan.

I will not comment on the Leclerc situation to avoid side tracking.
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 05 Mar 2023, 21:57, edited 3 times in total.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xyz22 wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:45
F1NAC wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:

Why ?
Indeed. I'd change Charles only for Max. Anything else would be a downgrade at the moment and Max would be crazy to join Ferrari now.
I think Norris was really young, and without DNF/reliability he was a bit ahead second year. Carlos is good in midfield (goodstarter, reliable when no pressure) so imo its like 2021 against Charles + Norris was young. For me Norris is the real deal behind the usual superstar.

If Max can't come and Charles leaves. I would take Lewis for two years, I always felt he could do something at Maranello

Peter Ian Staker
Peter Ian Staker

Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:47
Xyz22 wrote:
F1NAC wrote:

I think Norris was really young, and without DNF/reliability he was a bit ahead second year. Carlos is good in midfield (goodstarter, reliable when no pressure) so imo its like 2021 against Charles + Norris was young. For me Norris is the real deal behind the usual superstar.

If Max can't come and Charles leaves. I would take Lewis for two years, I always felt he could do something at Maranello
Lewis would last a year maximum at Ferrari before he decided to retire.

mizarbarym
mizarbarym

Re: Ferrari SF23

S D wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:33
On the positive side. It looks as if they improved on the starts. This was a big issue last year that they said couldn't be fixed until the next year.
1 race of calendar - bahrain.

:D
1 - good starts
2 - good pit stops
3 - better strategy

:(
1 - reability
2 - tyre deg
3 - poor performance ( race pace, setup issue )

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Peter Ian Staker wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:58
Spoutnik wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 21:47
Xyz22 wrote:

Lewis would last a year maximum at Ferrari before he decided to retire.
This team is too much for everyone bar Verstappen then

LM10
LM10

This sums it up perfectly. The outcry on here is unbearable.

Everyone knew (or should have known, if they had paid attention) that the car is not ready yet and that they went for a compromized setup. The team has told that numerous times - it was readable between the lines. On top of the fact that they have not found an optimal setup, they were not able to use the rear wing they were planning to use.
Such big is the overall modification the car went through. Testing was not enough obviously.

The SF-23 with the skinniest rear wing and beam wing combination and an issue on the front end (which they will solve in the next few races) was the fastest car in certain corners. Leclerc was only a tenth slower than the fastest driver in S2 who was Max in the RB19 which is sorted out completely and working in it's optimal window.

It was the first race of the longest season in F1 ever and people are writing off everything already. Just ridiculous.

organic

The beam wing was not the skinniest possible..it was much higher than what they tested with. They tested with their Spa 2022 BW and used a BW very similar to their 2022 med-high downforce BW

They were going to A/B the single pylon wing and smaller BW with double pylon and larger BW; the latter is what they raced with when the single pylon didn't work. So I don't see how the downforce level would've been massively different or much better with the single pylon& small BW

mzso
mzso

F1NAC wrote:
Spoutnik wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:

Why ?
Not really. Norris had some misfortune, like the engine dying in the last lap in SPA. And in the mid-field a good result can make the whole year.

LM10
LM10

organic wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 22:19
The beam wing was not the skinniest possible..it was much higher than what they tested with. They tested with their Spa 2022 BW and used a BW very similar to their 2022 med-high downforce BW

They were going to A/B the single pylon wing and smaller BW with double pylon and larger BW; the latter is what they raced with when the single pylon didn't work. So I don't see how the downforce level would've been massively different or much better with the single pylon
I didn't write that it was the skinniest possible for them. I meant that their rear wing and beam wing combined were the skinniest configuration on the grid.

organic

My misunderstanding then - sorry

I still reckon the general picture would be the same with the larger RW and smaller BW, no?

Juzh

mendis wrote:
05 Mar 2023, 19:09
What kind of f****g testing they do in winter testing where they pile on laps after laps and then they come to a race, within 30 laps the engine breaks down. Why do they even need testing?
Maybe they sandbagged too much, tried to hide their performance and as a result some problems didn't materialise until really being to the limits. Seems like a stretch, but perhaps..