2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Steven
Owner

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

People, please.... most of you here are total dramaqueens!
I know this is the team thread and we give a bit more leeway but try to think twice before you post something emotional.

This is only the first race. They positively surprised themselves in qualifying. Bahrain is a very specific circuit and the picture may be different in Jeddah and Melbourne.
Also, let's not make conclusions about "lack of downforce", "bad rear wing", etc, etc. A few tenths off pole isn't a drama, and they aren't the only ones who want to get closer to RBR.

So, let's calm a bit please. Breathe and don't post unless you have a balanced opinion or a fact to share. Thanks!

PS: I removed some personal posts but I'll follow that up with warnings on repeat.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Steven wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 01:12
I know this is the team thread and we give a bit more leeway but try to think twice before you post something emotional.

This is only the first race. They positively surprised themselves in qualifying. Bahrain is a very specific circuit and the picture may be different in Jeddah and Melbourne.
Also, let's not make conclusions about "lack of downforce", "bad rear wing", etc, etc. A few tenths off pole isn't a drama, and they aren't the only ones who want to get closer to RBR.

So, let's calm a bit please. Breathe and don't post unless you have a balanced opinion or a fact to share. Thanks!

PS: I removed some personal posts but I'll follow that up with warnings on repeat.
Very fair counterpoints.

The reality is seasons ebb and flow with regards to which tracks suit which cars. Ferrari will have tracks that are good for them.

It's lazy thinking to apply the same gap to completely different circuits.

Last season, RB was slowerin Bahrain, best in Jeddah, massacred in Australia.

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Now that everything has calmed down, I feel slightly less gloom and doom. Yes, the SF 23 is currently behind the RB19. Leclerc has said as much throughout testing and FP. The gap was certainly increased in such a unique circuit such as Bahrain with its highly abrasive surface and combination of corners. The SF23 struggled with balance due to a reported lack of front DF which caused a heavily compromised setup. Thinking about it now, it would make sense if Ferrari unloaded the rear a bit in order to get ease the understeer present. Jeddah should fit the characteristics of the SF 23 much better. In the high speed, Ferrari was the class of the field. Development will come on the car.

dialtone
dialtone

A bad car isn't going to qualify 0.1s off RBR. Race balance is managed in a different way. It's just the first race, frustrating as it may be.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 02:17
A bad car isn't going to qualify 0.1s off RBR. Race balance is managed in a different way. It's just the first race, frustrating as it may be.
I just don't understand why they are eating the tires so much? Is it a bad balance which is being masked by new tires on 1 lap?

The 1 lap performance suggest the downforce is there. The race suggest they don't have a good balance.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 02:18
dialtone wrote:
I just don't understand why they are eating the tires so much? Is it a bad balance which is being masked by new tires on 1 lap?

The 1 lap performance suggest the downforce is there. The race suggest they don't have a good balance.
a not stable rear of the car.
so the car is always degradating the rear tyres due to the lack of stability

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 02:18
dialtone wrote:

Especially at Bahrain, you need a strong rear. My educated guess is that in order to get rid of some of the understeer in the car due to the front wing not working as expected, they unloaded the rear somewhat which caused them to degrade more. All in all, it is a new car with different characteristics. Last season in Australia, Red Bull did a similar mistake, not understanding the car and graining the tyres too much. These things can happen but the car is there, just the potential remains to be unleashed.

Xyz22
Xyz22

dialtone wrote:
There are many "bad" cars that were excellent in qualifying, the W04 and the SF 90 for instance.

Example that i like a lot :D

Another example would be the 2002 Williams that was extremely competitive in quali, but nowhere near the F 2002 in race trim.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Steven wrote:

The PPL (fans) are reacting this way is because they are frustrated. Because the mistakes are recurring. Everyone on the grid is talking about ferrari's tyre deg , imo Lewis, Russell, Alonso all mentioned it. It's so obvious but this team who are portrayed as the old lady of F1 with all the resources and history and all the sh*t can't come up with any solution. This perticular issue is there from 2021. Even though they were not fighting for anything I can recall meclaren giving them a run. Ferrari's Technical team seems incapable of finding any solution.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Shal_Leg16 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 03:40
Steven wrote:

The PPL (fans) are reacting this way is because they are frustrated. Because the mistakes are recurring. Everyone on the grid is talking about ferrari's tyre deg , imo Lewis, Russell, Alonso all mentioned it. It's so obvious but this team who are portrayed as the old lady of F1 with all the resources and history and all the sh*t can't come up with any solution. This perticular issue is there from 2021. Even though they were not fighting for anything I can recall meclaren giving them a run. Ferrari's Technical team seems incapable of finding any solution.
The launch spec F1-75 had minimal tire deg issues. I recall graining in Imola and Miami, but not much more wrong before France.

Sevach
Sevach

Ferrari should stop thinking about "matching Red Bull in straight line speed", "raceability vs RB19" and just improve the car, this type of tuning is what you do when you have a car firing on all cylinders already.
Try some dirty downforce and see if it improves wear issues.
Ferrari kept trying different levels of understeer during pre-season and turns out that's not the fix, i say unleash the car, make it bitey and late braker like the F1-75(i believe it's within their range to do it) and let Charles pace himself, he was doing ok enough administrating the tires this weekend.
And until you are sure you can compete don't concern yourself so much with trying to cover the Red Bulls, piting early to protect against an undercut will just leave you exposed later in the race and they'll get in front anyhow.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 03:42
Shal_Leg16 wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 03:40
Steven wrote:

The launch spec F1-75 had minimal tire deg issues. I recall graining in Imola and Miami, but not much more wrong before France.
this tyre deg problem has always been one of the characteristic flaws of this car.
In first few races where F1-75 had considerable speed advantage this problem was not so evident. But once RB got their act togather I can recall numerous occasion where Ferrari would score the pole but still in race RB would just go flying past them without much effort.

The problem has become even worst now as teams like Mercedes and AM have gain some ground and have started troubling them.

too early to conclude anything but still I don't trust them to actually find any solid solution and overturn that 1 sec deficit on RB.

Alakshendra

Yesterday race for sure was frustrating but my major fear is the car is slow, its not about Behrain to be specific , car seems simply slow.

During testing Helmet marko mentioned that he is suprised that ferrari is still bouncing this much, Sainz yesterday did confirmed the same when he complained of bouncing.
Relibility was a major issue last year and this year in the very first race not only charles took new Energy Store and Control Electronics power in the very first race but later engine also stopped so now he can get penalty if he opt to go for next unit
Third point, everyone said tire deg is reduced and there was some post where it was par with redbull , but yesterday redbull did 35 odd laps on 2 sets of softs i.e. around 18 laps on 1 set, sainz did 18 on hard

All of this does make me confused, still feel that changing the top people of team does not make impact, ferrari need to hire right set of people.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alakshendra wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 06:56
Yesterday race for sure was frustrating but my major fear is the car is slow, its not about Behrain to be specific , car seems simply slow.
They were nearly on pole. The Ferrari is many things, but slow isn't one of them.

The problem seems to be the balance of the car. On one lap, the tires mask the imbalance but over the race distance the tire is destroyed by all the sliding.

Alakshendra

AR3-GP wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 07:14
Alakshendra wrote:
06 Mar 2023, 06:56
They were nearly on pole. The Ferrari is many things, but slow isn't one of them.

The problem seems to be the balance of the car. On one lap, the tires mask the imbalance but over the race distance the tire is destroyed by all the sliding.
Yes i agree but doesnt that simply means due to multiple issues car is having a slow race pace? I really thought that reliability and tire deg problems are solved now but seems they are still there