2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I saw some BS post on twitter suggesting Sanchez may be under pressure and possibly departing Ferrari. Anyone got the hot word? If this is the case, oy, flashbacks from 2009-2017 all over again.

organic

JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 01:26
I saw some BS post on twitter suggesting Sanchez may be under pressure and possibly departing Ferrari. Anyone got the hot word? If this is the case, oy, flashbacks from 2009-2017 all over again.

Duchessa says something about Sanchez in his latest tweet

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Scary

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 02:04
JPBD1990 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 01:26

Duchessa says something about Sanchez in his latest tweet
"Historic English team".

David Sanchez to Williams makes the most sense to me (but could also have been a reference to Mclaren).

dialtone
dialtone

I hope this sanchez rumor isn't true, I'm already beyond disappointed that they let go Binotto... Ferrari is trying very hard to make me lose interest for many years to come.

ForzaFerrari3928
ForzaFerrari3928

Its very well possible that Sanchez may have been offered the role of Technical Director at Williams and may have decided to leave on his own accord. In any case, for now it's just rumors but IMO would be a big loss for Ferrari. If he and some other personnel leave, I wouldn't be surprised if the team announce another round of rebuilding and shifting the goal post of winning the championships by a few more years once more.

JPBD1990
JPBD1990

If this is true, I feel sick. What would Fred possibly know of peoples strengths and weaknesses after all of a few months in the team? We’ve had one race and if he’s ‘at risk’ because of that performance then… Ferrari has once again learned nothing

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Losing Sanchez would be a big blow and completely wrong. If you are convinced about the aerodynamic concept why get rid of one of the top engineers working on it?

jambuka
jambuka

Who is going to work on Aero at Ferrari then ? All the top guys have been taken. Newey at RB, Fallows at AMR, Allison back at Merc. Ferrari isn't even able to build reliable engines anymore to take on Aero with vastly superior engine power.

ryaan2904
ryaan2904

ing. wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 18:07
ryaan2904 wrote:
08 Mar 2023, 11:52
Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 22:49
Oh no, please don't bring sensible discussion to this thread, people like it more when they can just bash the team no matter what :)
To be honest, this team absolutely does deserve bashing. They have failed to deliver for years and even still they make silly mistakes. Imagine Lec losing both his CEs in one race. Potentially starting with a penalty on the 2nd race. Such gross incompetence should not happen inside a championship contender team.

What does not deserve bashing is the car concept & direction. It has potential and is limited by weak front end problems. That and porpoising.
Agree… and disagree about the car concept. With almost 3/4 of a year to prepare (with clear targets and objectives) and with basically just a warmed over ‘22 car—same roll-hoop/inlet, same cooling scheme inside similar “cleaned-up” sidepods, same suspension layout with front push-rod, rear pull-rod—with only the steering rack lowered to provide lower CG, better aero management and maybe better bump-steer characteristics this car should have hit the ground running and chased the RBs hard. Not run around chasing “set-up” issues, floppy front and rear wings, toasted electrics and tires, etc.

So, yeah, maybe a legacy of the Binotto era—where no faults were seen or admitted—and maybe because of the TD vacuum left by the same Binotto, but not an impressive start by the team. Hope they get their act together soon for their sake.
Yes but we cant say for sure that these are concept problems. These are more like teething issues, which a top team shouldnt have, but if the pace is there after solving them then there's nothing lost yet for a championship fight. Also a lot of wing issues are likely due to aggressive weight saving rather than total incompetence. Can't really fault them there, plus they'll prbly get on top of those quite easily.
CFD Eyes of Sauron

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 03:35
I hope this sanchez rumor isn't true, I'm already beyond disappointed that they let go Binotto... Ferrari is trying very hard to make me lose interest for many years to come.
They didn't let him go, he decided to go himself. He was offered a lower position and he refused. Seeing how the problem with Leclerc's car was inadequate wiring by design and all the problems with wings, seems like the car was pushed way too much towards weight saving than towards reliability. It was justified to do that for PU and other systems last year as Ferrari had a very big performance gap to fill, but for this car it isn't and can't be justified. He was leading the design himself, so "The Pharaoh" pushed in that direction.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

jambuka
jambuka

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:24
dialtone wrote:
They didn't let him go, he decided to go himself. He was offered a lower position and he refused. Seeing how the problem with Leclerc's car was inadequate wiring by design and all the problems with wings, seems like the car was pushed way too much towards weight saving than towards reliability. It was justified to do that for PU and other systems last year as Ferrari had a very big performance gap to fill, but for this car it isn't and can't be justified. He was leading the design himself, so "The Pharaoh" pushed in that direction.
Just don't understand why couldn't they iteratively make the car lighter after proving the change in the concept works. Seems like the team was too optimistic to do everything at once, aero change, lightweight parts and issues came up.

dialtone
dialtone

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:24
dialtone wrote:
it's a bit semantics here... nobody would accept a demotion, especially if they can get the same job somewhere else.

I do not justify the errors, he made many, but it's not Binotto that put together a wing that flexes like that and it's not Binotto that did testing without a single race simulation that would have likely uncovered the cabling problem, especially knowing that as a team you went a bit far with weight savings so probably needed to test to the max.

You can go towards saving weight but at some point someone has to run a structural calculation with resonance analysis to figure out that it won't work. They had the wing brake during the test, and they tried again the same identical wing. how was it going to work without structural changes? This isn't a Binotto mistake.

In any case, by and large he did a great job with both cars, who do they replace him with? All the lessons and experience on the team and car that Binotto had are gone, that kind of knowledge can't be replaced, so they better find someone with equivalent knowledge in building F1 cars. Sending away Sanchez would be so unfathomably dumb...

Vanja #66

Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 10:13
So all in all, my feeling is that Ferrari overestimated Hards quite a bit, or they knowingly went "what the hell, lets race and see what happens" with Leclerc. Degradation on Softs for Leclerc was almost the same as Max' but the car was simply half a second slower and we know they were both pushing hard on those first laps. Sainz's race suggest we shouldn't take his laps and degradation of his tyres into account, he wasn't the reference driver in this race, at all...
After listening to team radio, it turns out the team was happy with how Leclerc managed the tyres, there were only a few moments when he was required to correct his driving in some corners. The period after Perez overtook him for P2 was driving to cover Sainz, hence the slower laps since he was more than 12s ahead. After the second pit stop, they were also managing the pace and team was happy with how Leclerc was treating the tyres. The only mention of degradation was "degradation on Hards is better than expected." So yeah, the car was simply lacking only behind RB in the race trim. I will listen to Sainz' radio and update.

For Sainz the deg was worse than their model already at lap 6, but better than Hamilton. Sainz was complaining about deg himself at lap 10. Engineer is suggesting corrections all the time, especially on Hards. Sainz wasn't comfortable at all, complaining about degradation all the time, in second half of the race he seems to feel like his race is falling appart. His driving and setup hurt the tyres a lot more than Leclerc's car did. Seems like they were driving for two different teams, with Leclerc focused on fighting for podium and Sainz' feedback feels like he's scrapping for points with 5 other drivers.

dialtone wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:39
it's a bit semantics here... nobody would accept a demotion, especially if they can get the same job somewhere else.
Demotion was from the TP position where he wasn't doing a good job on the political side between teams. TD039 shouldn't have been allowed such as it happened, let alone the 2019 engine penalty that FIA never had enough to prove to go public. In the end, it turned out it was Binotto who refused to favour Leclerc even when it was obvious Sainz is not able to extract the best from the car in 2022. That's all good reasons to declare someone isn't doing a good job as TP so demotion was deserved.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

Vanja #66 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 10:04
Vanja #66 wrote:
07 Mar 2023, 10:13
So all in all, my feeling is that Ferrari overestimated Hards quite a bit, or they knowingly went "what the hell, lets race and see what happens" with Leclerc. Degradation on Softs for Leclerc was almost the same as Max' but the car was simply half a second slower and we know they were both pushing hard on those first laps. Sainz's race suggest we shouldn't take his laps and degradation of his tyres into account, he wasn't the reference driver in this race, at all...
After listening to team radio, it turns out the team was happy with how Leclerc managed the tyres, there were only a few moments when he was required to correct his driving in some corners. The period after Perez overtook him for P2 was driving to cover Sainz, hence the slower laps since he was more than 12s ahead. After the second pit stop, they were also managing the pace and team was happy with how Leclerc was treating the tyres. The only mention of degradation was "degradation on Hards is better than expected." So yeah, the car was simply lacking only behind RB in the race trim. I will listen to Sainz' radio and update.

For Sainz the deg was worse than their model already at lap 6, but better than Hamilton. Sainz was complaining about deg himself at lap 10. Engineer is suggesting corrections all the time, especially on Hards. Sainz wasn't comfortable at all, complaining about degradation all the time, in second half of the race he seems to feel like his race is falling appart. His driving and setup hurt the tyres a lot more than Leclerc's car did. Seems like they were driving for two different teams, with Leclerc focused on fighting for podium and Sainz' feedback feels like he's scrapping for points with 5 other drivers.

dialtone wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 09:39
Demotion was from the TP position where he wasn't doing a good job on the political side between teams. TD039 shouldn't have been allowed such as it happened, let alone the 2019 engine penalty that FIA never had enough to prove to go public. In the end, it turned out it was Binotto who refused to favour Leclerc even when it was obvious Sainz is not able to extract the best from the car in 2022. That's all good reasons to declare someone isn't doing a good job as TP so demotion was deserved.
sainz had a lot more bouncing on his car, so they couldnt had the same setup for both cars.
this should be de explanation about the diferent degradetion and de higher straight speed for Sainz.