2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
f1rules
f1rules

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

thanks for sharing, that is really good news, its high ranking people like that we need onboard, i hope they can get some from red bull also as they seem to have these cars figured out :-) Also it would be nice with some suspension people cause i really dont feel mclaren had optimal solution in that area, atleast in the front

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

organic wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:19
Head of aerodynamics David Sanchez has resigned, destination McLaren.
The successor is still unknown but it is believed to be an internal resource.
it is confirmed by italian media

The second coming...
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Could be an Andrea Stella influenced hire, not that it matters. They've got to be some guys from Red Bull looking to take more responsibility and prove themselves?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

continuum16

I've felt and said for a while (including on here) that the team needs to get some fresh blood in the R&D dept, and seeing them take action and do just that is very positive. Ferrari's aero department has definitely been one of their better assets over the last 24 months, so this looks like a shrewd hire from McLaren.

I wonder if he will be head of aero or if they will reshuffle the management structure with Key as CTO, Sanchez as TD, Prodomou as head of aero (sort of his position now IIRC, maybe different title), Thynne as head of production/operations.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

f1rules
f1rules

actually he is head of vehicle concept, so a key replacement? and another good thing, normally other good people move with when such a high ranking person moves
Edit
Honestly this must be a Key replacement, the next logical step for Sanchez would be TD or?

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... /10441796/

https://scuderiafans.com/ferrari-head-o ... ree-years/

Slahinki
Slahinki

Guess we just have to wait for official confirmation on what exact role he will have at McLaren then, and what that will mean for the team at large.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Best news McLaren have had for a while now

McL-H
McL-H

Excellent reinforcement to the team. Just what we needed! Hope we’ll manage to take away some more key figures from other teams.

f1rules
f1rules

Re: McLaren MCL60

windtunnel running and being calibrated, expected usage in june.
Further stella: the windtunnel is not the only reason for our situation. We simply should have done a better job with the car despite the windtunnel..

Auch wenn diese Situation zu einem "Defizit in der Qualität und in der Geschwindigkeit der Entwicklung" fühle, wolle er den Windkanal aber keinesfalls als Ausrede hernehmen. "Der Windkanal allein reicht nicht aus, um die Tatsache zu rechtfertigen, dass das Auto so ist, wie es ist", stellt der Teamchef klar.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... f-23030903

Emag
Emag

f1rules wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 20:41
Further stella: the windtunnel is not the only reason for our situation. We simply should have done a better job with the car despite the windtunnel..

Auch wenn diese Situation zu einem "Defizit in der Qualität und in der Geschwindigkeit der Entwicklung" fühle, wolle er den Windkanal aber keinesfalls als Ausrede hernehmen. "Der Windkanal allein reicht nicht aus, um die Tatsache zu rechtfertigen, dass das Auto so ist, wie es ist", stellt der Teamchef klar.

https://www.motorsport-total.com/formel ... f-23030903
Hallelujah, praise him for saying it.

The unexplained positivity of some people here has been very annoying, labeling you as a hater just for saying that, even though McLaren has a distinct infrastructure deficit, it doesn't really account for the whole gap they have to the front.

They have not done a good enough job, and I am glad Stella acknowledges that.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1rules wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 20:41
What many here have said already.
A lion must kill its prey.

f1rules
f1rules

me included thats why i posted and nice that the new TP dont try and butter up, it has been obvious mclaren has been lacking for years in the tech departments

interesting enough a former mcl and fer engineer just posted this which i agree fully in, lets hope key is leaving

Patryk Sokołowski
@patryksoko
David Sanchez to spoko gość i bardzo dobry inżynier. Dołączenie do McLarena byłoby zaskoczeniem, bo w takim wypadku ktoś bardzo wysoko musiałby spaść ze stołka. Nie odchodziłby gdyby nie chodziło o pozycję TD lub inną bardzo wysoką. #F1PL #ViaF1
Translated from Polish by
David Sanchez is a cool guy and a very good engineer. Joining McLaren would be a surprise, because then someone would have to fall very high from the stool. He wouldn't be leaving if it wasn't for TD or another very high position. #F1PL #ViaF1

Ben1980
Ben1980

Surely McLaren have a high position. The one Stella vacated, that seems logical?

EJ22B
EJ22B

Does Peter Prodromou still work at Mclaren?

Haven't heard a thing about him since ages.

geogate
geogate

yes he does - chief technical director of aerodynamics