2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

LM10 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:32
Looking at his achievement as a leader in designing the F1-75, which was a wonderful car, that's a sad thing. Probably a product of big Ferrari bosses having no understanding of the technical aspect of F1 yet again. I don't believe that this was Fred's move.
Wasn’t that mostly Rory Byrne anyway?

jambuka
jambuka

What a mess! If he did really resign it just proves it is not a setup issue, the car is just not going to work. If he was forced out then it is even stupider. Why not let him stay for the first 4 races ? No one is going to come in and suddenly flip a switch to make the car beat RB in a month.

deadhead

ing.

SoulPancake13 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 17:23
Sanchez is off to McLaren then. Great pick up by them, wouldn't be shocked to see him do well over there. Really disappointed.

Nothing really in the formu1a uno article that explains why he is leaving. Having Binotto and Sanchez leave within months of one another is a huge technical blow...
Maybe he was being protected by Binotto who accepted mediocrity—like with his strategy team—and so he more likely jumped before being pushed?

Funny that people here are defending the car’s “concept” and the guy who is “head of vehicle concept” felt pressure to leave the team.

Also interesting that the rumour is not that he’s being poached by Mercedes or RB, but by McLaren.

bagajohny
bagajohny

In ultima istanza un “simpatico retroscena” sul passato mondiale. Jock Clear, performance engineer della Ferrari, sul finire della stagione 2022 ha spiegato con giustezza un fatto: i dati relativi al degrado erano piuttosto in linea con quelli espressi dalla Red Bull, non il ritmo espresso dalla F1-75. Aneddoto che conferma la nostra indiscrezione sulla persistenza di un passo gara ancora deficitario “ereditato” dalla monoposto 2022.
What is the proper translation of this part? I am unable to understand the machine translation.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

bagajohny wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:00
In ultima istanza un “simpatico retroscena” sul passato mondiale. Jock Clear, performance engineer della Ferrari, sul finire della stagione 2022 ha spiegato con giustezza un fatto: i dati relativi al degrado erano piuttosto in linea con quelli espressi dalla Red Bull, non il ritmo espresso dalla F1-75. Aneddoto che conferma la nostra indiscrezione sulla persistenza di un passo gara ancora deficitario “ereditato” dalla monoposto 2022.
What is the proper translation of this part? I am unable to understand the machine translation.
Clear is trying to say that Ferrari don't have a degradation problem when they run at the car's actual level (slower than RB). It's when the drivers overdrive to keep up with a faster car, that the tires degrade.

I somewhat disagree with Clear because the Ferrari is very quick on Saturday. F = ma, and you don't carry high minimum speeds in the high speed corners without having the downforce to sustain it. It just suggest the downforce is in the wrong place, so while you can compensate over 1 lap, you'll destroy the tire in a race.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:15
bagajohny wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:00
Clear is trying to say that Ferrari don't have a degradation problem when they run at the car's actual level (slower than RB). It's when the drivers overdrive to keep up with a faster car, that the tires degrade.

I somewhat disagree with Clear because the Ferrari is very quick on Saturday. F = ma, and you don't carry high minimum speeds in the high speed corners without having the downforce to sustain it. It just suggest the downforce is in the wrong place, so while you can compensate over 1 lap, you'll destroy the tire in a race.
If that is what he means then it's a joke.

overdriving ? So basically Leclerc needs to push only enough that he stays 2 Sec ahead of 4th place car even if he falls a lap behind Max ?

Xyz22
Xyz22

Apparently he decided to leave months ago. Probably after Binotto left the team.

ing.

Xyz22 wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:41
Apparently he decided to leave months ago. Probably after Binotto left the team.
The only concern here is that he’s leaving because he was passed over for the TD job. Now, if he’s responsible for this car then it’s not a bad decision to not give him the TD job. If, instead, it was Cardile in his role of Performance Lead, or whatever, that drove the concept for this year’s car, and he gets the TD job that’s not good.

mzso
mzso

It's starting feel like Ferrari is imploding, again...

mzso
mzso

ing. wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 18:03
Are you referring to the concept that worked so well that they almost got beat by Merc after they had to fix the floor, post TD? The concept that, after 3 days testing and 3 practice sessions they were still trying to find the proper set-up? The same concept used by Haas to have a stinker of a race?
Hülkenberg picked up damage in the first lap and suffered around for half the race... Magnussen's race already was already ruined in qualifying.

Vanja #66

ing. wrote:
Are you referring to the concept that worked so well that they almost got beat by Merc after they had to fix the floor, post TD? The concept that, after 3 days testing and 3 practice sessions they were still trying to find the proper set-up? The same concept used by Haas to have a stinker of a race? Early days yet—and hope to see an improvement—but doesn’t sound good to me.
Ok, debunking time, buckle up. The concept was clearly the best of the field right up to the political TD that was aimed at RB. The car was more than decent on tyres, was able to run very low whenever the track allowed for it and the only downside was slightly too much drag that allowed Max to win in Jeddah and Miami (along with Ferrari taking conservative setups for the race). Ferrari lost Barcelona, Monaco, Baku, Canada (because Leclerc's penalty prevented him from fighting for the win), France and Hungary due to engine trouble, strategy errors and driver error. That's 6 wins, which could have been at least 4 without technical DNFs. Engine performance and/or reliability were not related to the car concept.

The fact a rule change exposed their exploitation of the rules shows innovation. No car that won a WDC/WCC in the last 30-40 years wasn't at least somewhat in a gray area, while some were actually illegal. And why are you even taking Haas' race with a bad luck start for Hulk and bad qualy for Magnussen? Do you really find it representative? You know what, better take this as a rhetorical question...

ing. wrote:
Also, I’m not alone in saying it. Here’s Autosport’s take:
“While others have ploughed their own furrow – like Ferrari with its in-wash solution and Mercedes with its zero-pod idea – the evidence appears to be mounting that the best design for the 2022 rules era cars is what Red Bull has done.”
I'm not sure it's worth replying to you after this part, but what the heck, maybe this time you'll take a chance to learn something new. :) Autosport is a magazine for laymen, not even technical, let alone technical magazine with utmost integrity. They published jewels such as this

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/ferr ... 9/1399503/

I still remember how hard we were laughing here about this :lol:

ing. wrote:
Now, if they decided—like Aston Martin did last year—to go in a new development direction in-season (like Merc are doing) so as not to waste another year and the wind tunnel tells them a deeper undercut (like they did last year) is a big improvement, they won’t even be able to implement it because of the lower SIS location.
AM never went a new way mid-season mate, it's an evolution, pure and simple. Fallows is great at what he does and was able to guide the team in the right way. All the teams with tubs and waterslides copied from Ferrari. I feel you are leaving this out on purpose...

Lower SIS position is giving them an option to do whatever they want with the floor. Or do you think sidepod undercut is more important? Don't answer, another rhetorical... :)

Here's one more free lesson to wrap this up, Ferrari are using sidepods for big outwash, that's why their car was so predictable last year - no turbulence was entering the diffuser and messing up the floor performance. It still isn't, because of their innovative concept that no other team implemented in such a way on their launch car last year. AM did and it works brilliantly, doesn't it? It has as much to do with outwash undercut as it does with wide sides all the way to the rear, you can't just force the turbulence out, you need to keep it out with a literal wall. That's one of the reasons Williams and Mercedes didn't work so good last year.

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 19:15

That's pretty much what everyone can see from the lap charts, the car wasn't fast enough for the race.

viewtopic.php?p=1122041#p1122041

It's a problem of many factors, lack of downforce (wing setup compromise), lack of suspension setup time, lack of sufficient understanding of the car... As you said, Australia 2022 for RB was the same thing. There's also a thing that brought Ferrari 12 poles last year, the car is generating heat in the tyres quite quickly. They need to understand how to contain it during the race, it's not an unsolvable problem. Well, for Leclerc at least, not sure about Sainz...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gshevlin
gshevlin

It is going to be interesting to see if Ferrari continues to lose more top engineers that rose in the team under Mattia Binotto's leadership.
If employees conclude (correctly or otherwise) that there is a purge underway, some of them will probably not wait to be pushed out. They will proactively resign, collect gardening leave money, and look for other opportunities. Italy in the Summer is a very pleasant place, so I have been told.

mzso
mzso

gshevlin wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 21:08
It is going to be interesting to see if Ferrari continues to lose more top engineers that rose in the team under Mattia Binotto's leadership.
If employees conclude (correctly or otherwise) that there is a purge underway, some of them will probably not wait to be pushed out. They will proactively resign, collect gardening leave money, and look for other opportunities. Italy in the Summer is a very pleasant place, so I have been told.
I doubt they would get money if they resign.

deadhead

PlatinumZealot wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 15:25
ferkan wrote:
09 Mar 2023, 12:04
Binotto was not fit for TP, he should have been given the same financial incentives to step back to TD, just put PR out there that due to the scope of job, and quality you have as technical person, TP was assigned to someone else to take burden of you.

In any case, Binotto's idea to pursue TP and TD at the same time was his downfall (and was quite a optimistic idea tbh).
A more tasteful position for him would be CTO. It's a director role and he gets to influence making the car.... But what news seems to say is that Binotto decided to resign on his own out of "honour" not sure how true this is tho.

On Sainz. He drives with a very different style to Leclerc. Last year it was the same pattern at high traction tracks.
Which other tracks are considered high traction?