2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
CjC
CjC

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Loving the optimism but a word of caution, the car being ‘alive’ is a 2 way street.
I read an interview with James Key and he used the word ‘alive’ too only he said: ‘every part of the car you touch can change positively or negatively so it really is ‘alive’’.
Just a fan's point of view

haza
haza

Much to have hope for this season major upgrades in the first 4-5 races wind tunnel running in June with late season upgrades coming from it (according to The Race) team seem cautiously optimistic about what’s to come I do believe we can take it to Aston Martin and Ferrari hopefully red bull on pace but that depends on how dominant they stay throughout the season I expect them to drop back towards the end but I think the points deficit in the first few races (catch up phase) will be too much to make a dent later in the year

Lucky
Lucky

Several contracts will expire next year, including that of Enrico Cardile, who is acting as technical director. So far, no one has received any reassurances. And given that a period of forced rest is needed to move from one team to another, other farewells are almost certain.

McLaren has to pick him up.

ScottR267
ScottR267

McLaren did say they were on a recruitment drive in the aero department…..hopefully can pick up some good talent to improve the aero team.

Not sure if any have joined already or if we are having to wait for garden leaves etc before they can join

Darth-Piekus

Im hearing that along with Binotto and Sanchez that our team got there are others that are on the exit.Perhaps a chance to obtain a lot of them.

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Darth-Piekus wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 14:51
Im hearing that along with Binotto and Sanchez that our team got there are others that are on the exit.Perhaps a chance to obtain a lot of them.
Binotto?
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

chrisc90

CjC
CjC

I have a lot of respect for Red Bull - though I’m as far from a fan of theirs as you can get BUT I’m not sure a road supercar manufacturer should be asking a fizzy drinks company for a PU deal- surely that’s the wrong way round.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

CjC wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 16:13
I have a lot of respect for Red Bull - though I’m as far from a fan of theirs as you can get BUT I’m not sure a road supercar manufacturer should be asking a fizzy drinks company for a PU deal- surely that’s the wrong way round.
RB is currently being powered by a company that makes lawn mowers :wink:

Ultimately it says more about Mclaren. We were waiting for one of these british teams to finally make the plunge and to our surprise, it wasn't Mclaren.
A lion must kill its prey.

M840TR
M840TR

CjC wrote:
They shouldn't take an engine developed in Sakura at a state of the art enterprise worth billions of dollars and 1000s of man hours that won 2 championships in a row and is about to dominate the 3rd because... the IP was transferred to a 'fizzy drinks company'?

CjC
CjC

M840TR wrote:
12 Mar 2023, 16:33
CjC wrote:
They shouldn't take an engine developed in Sakura at a state of the art enterprise worth billions of dollars and 1000s of man hours that won 2 championships in a row and is about to dominate the 3rd because... the IP was transferred to a 'fizzy drinks company'?
I’m not saying they shouldn’t look for the best PU I’m just saying it’s the wrong way round, kudos to Red Bull. Mclaren shouldn’t be looking at a supply off Red Bull they should be looking at the Red Bull racing business model.

Also the supply is for 2026 so PU won’t be developed by Honda😉

organic

The opportunity to build a factory and hire the personnel to construct their own engines is gone for McLaren. We are too close to the new rules for that all to happen now, so they might as well shop for the best power unit manufacturer. It doesn't make sense for McLaren to be picky based on semantic arguments about their status of being a 'fizzy drink manufacturer'

djos

If Mclaren where smart, they’d do a cross licensing IP deal with RedBull and build their own McLaren PU.
"In downforce we trust"

ripleysend
ripleysend

djos wrote:
13 Mar 2023, 01:22
If Mclaren where smart, they’d do a cross licensing IP deal with RedBull and build their own McLaren PU.
But are they smart? At a time when several teams are said to be hiving off development work to closely associated group companies, McLaren sold off Applied Technologies. I wonder if MAT is able or indeed willing to perform a similar 'outsourcing' role these days?

Building a McLaren in house PU would be an enormous financial undertaking (let alone the time needed), regardless of buying the IP. Perhaps they could buy the IP but then work with an established PU player to final design and manufacture?

djos

There are plenty of options for outsourcing the manufacture of specific parts eg Judd, Yamaha, Mechachrome
"In downforce we trust"