2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

organic wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 19:36
The balance looks pretty good onboard, right?
Leclerc still complains about understeer, but overall the car has good grip here i would say.

mzso
mzso

LM10 wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 16:09
It’s not a whole PU, only the ICE on both cars + CE (obviously) and MGU-H on Leclerc.
It doesn't look too reassuring...:
One race (4.5% progress) to go to 67% (or more) of PU components use for major parts. At this rat by the end of the third race they will be in the red in every category but exhaust...

My expectations for Ferrari wasn't to rosy after the first race, but seeing this, their positions in the two FP-s, and Leclerc constantly experiencing PU issues, I'd be surprised if they were in win contention anywhere but 1-2 places where the circuit particularly suits the car.

Ferrari is not RB, so I don't expect some great comeback either. More like last year, falling back after a while.

LM10
LM10

mzso wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 20:18
LM10 wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 16:09
It’s not a whole PU, only the ICE on both cars + CE (obviously) and MGU-H on Leclerc.
It doesn't look too reassuring...:
https://abload.de/img/lec-puvyefo.png
One race (4.5% progress) to go to 67% (or more) of PU components use for major parts. At this rat by the end of the third race they will be in the red in every category but exhaust...

My expectations for Ferrari wasn't to rosy after the first race, but seeing this, their positions in the two FP-s, and Leclerc constantly experiencing PU issues, I'd be surprised if they were in win contention anywhere but 1-2 places where the circuit particularly suits the car.

Ferrari is not RB, so I don't expect some great comeback either. More like last year, falling back after a while.
Ok.

dialtone
dialtone

FP2 telemetry:

LEC v VER fast lap:

Same takeaways as after FP1:
* engine seems still tuned down a lot
* actually very good stuff now in T1 and T27 where LEC actually gains on VER
* T16 and T22 there's lots of performance to be found there

Race pace:

Only about 2 tenths on average separates them, but the seem fairly close, slight edge for VER but they were also running 2 different compounds.

If the car stays reliable it should be closer here than in Bahrain.

deadhead

Thanks dailtone, very insightful as always

jambuka
jambuka

Why would Ferrari lower their engine so much ? Why would they take second ICE is second race? Generally when they say it’s a precaution it’s a sign of incoming DNF’s. Forget aero they can’t even now build engines it seems.

aleks_ader

TBH i see some validity to run engines low at current state of reliability woes. It would be bad PR. But i m not team principal to made such cals. Also i m not responsible to keep good corporation image after all that slander in media. SO there is that.

Arguably would be good to run engines to the max to define limits early in season. But then yeah i not responsible for such calls.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Vanja #66

dialtone wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 21:30
FP2 telemetry:

Great stuff man! As always! 8) I've been looking at a few laps between them, Max was about 3-4kmh faster on straights than Leclerc on average. In Bahrain they were about equal during FP2 race sim and in the race Ferrari was +10kmh on main straight and RB about +8kmh (in the last stint, when they weren't saving the gearbox), so judging on that alone we can assume Ferrari will be at RB level on top speed or slightly bellow. The new front wing was rumoured to be track-specific, but it doesn't look like it is so they didn't lose any drag on it, so it would make sense if RB step-up on top speed vs Bahrain.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

mzso
mzso

jambuka wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 21:53
Why would Ferrari lower their engine so much ? Why would they take second ICE is second race? Generally when they say it’s a precaution it’s a sign of incoming DNF’s. Forget aero they can’t even now build engines it seems.
They didn't say they dialed down the engine. It's just assumed. It might be that RB is still better at high speeds and/or they dialed down their engines even more.

mzso
mzso

By the way was there a penalty for control electronics usage before, ever? I can't recall.
I can't recall a DNF either blamed at control electronics. Only Leclerc's loss of win in his first Bahrain race for Ferrari.

organic

I don't recall any

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mzso wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:31
By the way was there a penalty for control electronics usage before, ever? I can't recall.
I can't recall a DNF either blamed at control electronics. Only Leclerc's loss of win in his first Bahrain race for Ferrari.
I feel like Alfa Romeo had them last year but they are not exactly at the forefront of my mind so I can't recall the race.

Also, what's the point of limiting the number of control electronics. Isn't it a spec part? Unless I'm mistaken about that.

dialtone
dialtone

mzso wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:29
jambuka wrote:
17 Mar 2023, 21:53
They didn't say they dialed down the engine. It's just assumed. It might be that RB is still better at high speeds and/or they dialed down their engines even more.
You do realize the same thing happened in Bahrain right? On friday they were losing in the straights and saturday they were gaining in the straights. You also realize that HUL had 7-8kph advantage over LEC in FP2 and we've already seen from Bahrain that the Ferrari is a better car than the Haas. We've also seen the race sims are pretty even across a number of teams.

Ferrari is probably not the best car, but you are taking this way too hard.

For the record here are the race sims of the first drivers of a few teams:

That alpine is in the mix for sure, all the teams are so close and within a range where even small fuel differences would move the team from first to last in these sims. Barring major sandbags from the top 2-3 teams it should be a close race.

organic

Worth noting ferrari is running a larger rear wing than Bahrain whilst Haas have a new loww downforce wing for this weekend. Just to put that +8km/h value in context

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

dialtone wrote:
18 Mar 2023, 02:43

For the record here are the race sims of the first drivers of a few teams:
Do these happen to also be the "fastest" race sim of each team? That would be more instructive. Verstappen's stint was on the soft. Perez was actually quicker on the medium. Ignoring Perez flatters the others.

Perez dipped into the 1.34s (no one else did) and no one seems to be taking notice of what that means, and if Verstappen would be on the same tire...None of those mid 34s from Perez had DRS either.