2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Xyz22
Xyz22

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:21
Some interesting words from Sainz. In short, he’s saying that the race pace is the big problem, but especially when they’re in dirty air. The car is doing exactly what they’re seeing in the wind tunnel (which is good news) and they know what they need to do to solve their issues. He seems to be convinced that their developments will change their season.

Sainz: "Right now, we're not where we want to be in terms of race pace, in terms of car in general the balance even in dirty air following. We just struggled a bit, and if we already overheat the tyres in clean air then imagine following, we just eat them alive."

Sainz: "And we need clean air to produce some kind of decent lap times. So yeah, we know exactly our weaknesses. Obviously we cannot do magic to bring the developments early. But I know the team is pushing flat out to bring them and this will improve our race pace for sure."

Sainz: "The thing is that the car is doing exactly the same as in the wind tunnel. So we know where the weakness is in the wind tunnel, where the weakness is here. We know where to develop the car."

Sainz: "We just need time because from the weakness that we saw in Bahrain and we see here, obviously, we cannot bring the upgrades as soon as tomorrow, but I'm positive that this team is capable of bringing them early in the season. And this could change completely our season."

Sainz: "We know already our performance timings more or less when they're going to come, our developments. I cannot reveal right now. But we know when they're coming. We know what they are targeting. And we know that they should help."
Sainz was slow even with no close cars ahead.

mzso
mzso

JPBD1990 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:44
Sainz is slow. Can we admit that now? Charles clearly had more pace when he cruised up on the back of Carlos, but when he couldn’t get passed (and locked up into turn 1) the gap stayed the same. Who knows if Charles could have been further up the road, like the first stint and let’s be honest… every race before. I say he probably would have been closer to the mercs and possibly challenged them.

Why can Ferrari not see this?
They did. But it's meaningless in 6th and seventh place. Plus Even Leclerc didn't seem to have the pace.

Schippke
Schippke

Not going to lie; Hard to find any positives here and the happy go-lucky ones here are going to be searching for any plus points. Aside from the quick pitstops...?

4th Quickest Car this weekend in terms of Race-Pace; Even if Charles did end up starting P2, he still might've not been able to keep the podium from Alonso... or might've even struggled to keep ahead of Russell by the end.

Forget Red Bull - They've checked out this year. Cannot see anybody catching them, even if Ferrari sort out their tyres wear issues, reliability concerns under control, learn the setup, bring more developments... whatever else we want to through at it.

Best hope is for P2 by seasons end... its going to be another hard year, and the back half of last year took it out of all of us I'm sure.

deadhead

Xyz22 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 23:00
LM10 wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:21
Some interesting words from Sainz. In short, he’s saying that the race pace is the big problem, but especially when they’re in dirty air. The car is doing exactly what they’re seeing in the wind tunnel (which is good news) and they know what they need to do to solve their issues. He seems to be convinced that their developments will change their season.

Sainz: "Right now, we're not where we want to be in terms of race pace, in terms of car in general the balance even in dirty air following. We just struggled a bit, and if we already overheat the tyres in clean air then imagine following, we just eat them alive."

Sainz: "And we need clean air to produce some kind of decent lap times. So yeah, we know exactly our weaknesses. Obviously we cannot do magic to bring the developments early. But I know the team is pushing flat out to bring them and this will improve our race pace for sure."

Sainz: "The thing is that the car is doing exactly the same as in the wind tunnel. So we know where the weakness is in the wind tunnel, where the weakness is here. We know where to develop the car."

Sainz: "We just need time because from the weakness that we saw in Bahrain and we see here, obviously, we cannot bring the upgrades as soon as tomorrow, but I'm positive that this team is capable of bringing them early in the season. And this could change completely our season."

Sainz: "We know already our performance timings more or less when they're going to come, our developments. I cannot reveal right now. But we know when they're coming. We know what they are targeting. And we know that they should help."
Sainz was slow even with no close cars ahead.
Considering his pace relative to the other car, Sainz can't really be used as a reference point.

McMika98
McMika98

Where are all that noise from preseason quoting 1.5s gains. This year car is clearly not that big a step from the car they had at the end last year. Heck it's the same concept they pushed to the limit last year so how did they fall behind. Clearly the bathtub philosophy is not rewarding and gains are harder to get.

Xyz22
Xyz22

McMika98 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 00:34
Where are all that noise from preseason quoting 1.5s gains. This year car is clearly not that big a step from the car they had at the end last year. Heck it's the same concept they pushed to the limit last year so how did they fall behind. Clearly the bathtub philosophy is not rewarding and gains are harder to get.
The claims were based on wind tunnel / sim data.
Leclerc was slightly faster than Sainz, but in this track you either are in DRS range or you still struggle a lot in dirty air. No point tanking any unnecessary risks for a P6. The car was just slow, that's it.

f1316
f1316

The team are saying that it’s primarily the hard that’s the problem on race pace. This seems to have validity given in both races Leclerc’s pace was good (relative to everyone other than Max) when he was on softs.

So I think that relatively speaking you can come away with a slightly more positive picture than that Ferrari have the outright 4th fastest car. If you think (a) Leclerc was set for 3rd in Bahrain (b) he should have been on the front row in Jeddah (ok 3rd if Max was where he should be) and his race pace was likely fairly decent but with an Achilles heel of a particular compound. Sainz is just not a top driver and honestly should be treated like a very clear number 2.

Nevertheless, even if that’s sunnier than perhaps it might seem, it’s still not really good enough. It seems like their lower drag concept isn’t putting enough temperature into the tyres to get them up to temp and that probably causes them to scrub more than the others, wearing them out quicker. That’s probably not such a problem on the softs - and to some extent mediums - since they have a lower working range, but still pointe to an overall lack of downforce.It’s already been said, but they seem to have made the exact same mistake as 2019, sacrificing downforce for the sake of efficiency and painting themselves into a corner as a result. How the same set of people can make the same mistake twice (only worse this time - at least in 2019 they were fastest on most of the high speed tracks) is beyond me.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

f1316 wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 02:07
The team are saying that it’s primarily the hard that’s the problem on race pace. This seems to have validity given in both races Leclerc’s pace was good (relative to everyone other than Max) when he was on softs.
Why on earth did they put Leclerc on the hard tire then?

I agree that the pace was okay (not RB level), on the soft tire.

sunny1304r
sunny1304r

Every year they have a new reason for the tires not working .

jambuka
jambuka

Wishful thinking, but hopefully there is something in the setup that they are able to dial into and the car regains pace going forward.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

jambuka wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 03:17
Wishful thinking, but hopefully there is something in the setup that they are able to dial into and the car regains pace going forward.
Saudi Arabia is a much lower downforce track to be fair.

What's interesting to me is how Ferrari fell behind Mercedes here, when Leclerc was miles ahead in Bahrain.

I really do think Saudi Arabia was just missing the target with Ferrari. I still think the car is up there with Aston Martin. For whatever reason they didn't show it today.

Leclerc outqualified all of these other cars despite having a race setup.

I don't think they've gotten inherently worse since Bahrain. Just that they were mistaken in thinking that Jeddah would suit them and probably went on the wrong tire at the end.

jambuka
jambuka

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 03:19
jambuka wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 03:17
Saudi Arabia is a much lower downforce track to be fair.

What's interesting to me is how Ferrari fell behind Mercedes here, when Leclerc was miles ahead in Bahrain.

I really do think Saudi Arabia was just missing the target with Ferrari. I still think the car is up there with Aston Martin. For whatever reason they didn't show it today.

Leclerc outqualified all of these other cars despite having a race setup.

I don't think they've gotten inherently worse since Bahrain. Just that they were mistaken in thinking that Jeddah would suit them and probably went on the wrong tire at the end.
Maybe, if they were ahead of Mercs things would not have been so demoralizing. It seems right now the car is in no man’s land. They don’t have strongest traction in slow speed corners, nor they are a missile in straight line. It just seems it’s average in everything.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

See that's the thing. My arm chair opinion tells me that the wing Ferrari had in Jeddah is the one they should have had in Bahrain. The wing they ran in Bahrain is the one they should have had in Jeddah.

Look at the RB! Why on earth was Ferrari loading up on downforce on a no-deg circuit, while RB was trimming their car out.

None of it makes sense. How are their simulations telling them to do the opposite of RB.

The Ferrari was a missile in Bahrain. They would have cleared 340 km/h easy with the rear wing from Bahrain.

jambuka
jambuka

AR3-GP wrote:
20 Mar 2023, 03:35
See that's the thing. My arm chair opinion tells me that the wing Ferrari had in Jeddah is the one they should have had in Bahrain. The wing they ran in Bahrain is the one they should have had in Jeddah.

Look at the RB! Why on earth was Ferrari loading up on downforce on a no-deg circuit, while RB was trimming their car out.

None of it makes sense. How are their simulations telling them to do the opposite of RB.

The Ferrari was a missile in Bahrain. They would have cleared 340 km/h easy with the rear wing from Bahrain.
They just wanted to make the single pillar wing work I guess. That was their plan at Bahrain initially. 🤷‍♂️

Weachter78!
Weachter78!

Jakxy wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:51
dialtone wrote:
19 Mar 2023, 22:43
Jakxy wrote:
Imo 2 races cleary says the concept is not working. You cant even beat the “green redbull” amr.
AMR is more like the Alpine. The floor may be more like RBR for what we know. Clearly something on the Ferrari isn't working when it comes to downforce, especially at the front even after the updates.
The area where last year's car excellent was acceleration and traction. and this is completely gone. Right now the car has no real strong area to other teams. They took a solid foundation from 2022’s car and destroyed it.
No one to blame but themselves……instead of choosing continuity and stability, Ferrari choose, the path they always choose, and set themselves back again. Just don’t learn….