2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
taperoo2k
taperoo2k

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

FittingMechanics wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 10:21
Ground Effect wrote:
26 Mar 2023, 23:11
From all Zak’s actions, it doesn’t look like he’s adverse to making tough decisions and letting people go when it seems they’re underperforming. I mean, he’s made some very big calls. Ending the Honda deal, which was said to be worth $100M a year. Firing Goss, Boullier, Bob Fernley, Gil De Ferran, Ricciardo and of course, James Key. So it makes me wonder about Prodromou. From the outside, it seems McLaren have big aero problems and you’d expect Prod to be on the firing line. But alas, he’s still there and now Technical Director, Aerodynamics. He’s practically invisible, never does media or promotional content, get interviewed etc. Maybe most of his ideas or suggestions were vetoed by Key? Maybe he’s been vindicated by the recent change in the developmental path? My point is, if he was underperforming, I think Zak would not hesitate to let him go, just a guess though. Anyway, let’s hope the new structure brings out the best in the team.
This is what I was thinking as well but didn't want to bring up another speculation to the thread. It would explain why Key was sacked so early in the season with immediate effect. Maybe he put his head on the line with his choice of concept which ended up being abandoned.
Looking at the past three seasons, Key hasn't done a brilliant job with the concepts. I think McLaren have probably got who they need, they just need to gel together in time to make the most out of the new wind tunnel and simulator.

As for Newey? While you should never say never, I think Red Bull is where he's going to end his F1 career. Besides there could be some very talented aero peeps at McLaren who've yet to shine. I think people get a bit too fixated on Newey, even he needs the right team around him to bring out the best in his ideas. It's a team effort bringing a car together from the initial concept to the finished product, there's a video floating on youtube with some of the people involved with the design of the MP4/4 going over the car in great detail and the issues they had in getting it finished in time for the season start.

_cerber1

Peter1919 wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 14:16
Dan Fallows but unfortunately we missed that boat when he was evidently available and now Aston Martin are reaping the rewards :oops:
As Marko said, a lot of Red Bull knowledge was brought to Aston Martin by employees who left, and it's not just about aerodynamics. The whole question is whether they can continue to develop this concept on their own when they exhaust its resource in its current form.
I would like to believe that Peter Prodrom really lacks high-precision and modern tools for success, and with the advent of a new wind tunnel, this item will be closed.

mwillems

And after that it will turn out that Peter Prodomou had been developing cataracts and as soon as the eye surgery is done we will gear up to win 10 championships in a row.
Last edited by mwillems on 27 Mar 2023, 18:08, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

🤣🤣🤣

I'm being childish, I have no reason to think he can't do the job.

-Bandit

Macklaren
Macklaren

Peter1919 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 08:47
So after newey, who are the people we'd most like to see head up our Aero Dept.?
Dan Fallows but unfortunately we missed that boat when he was evidently available and now Aston Martin are reaping the rewards :oops:
You're joking right? You know McLaren hired Dan from RBR 5 years ago to partner with PP but RBR blocked it AFTER Dan had resigned to join McLaren. They would have done it again

mwillems

It was nearly 10 years ago and it wasn't blocked, they gave him a bucket of cash to back out.

Edit: rereading this I can see that the settlement resulted in Prodromou being released early.

-Bandit

Peter1919
Peter1919

Macklaren wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 18:31
Peter1919 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
So after newey, who are the people we'd most like to see head up our Aero Dept.?
You're joking right? You know McLaren hired Dan from RBR 5 years ago to partner with PP but RBR blocked it AFTER Dan had resigned to join McLaren. They would have done it again
As mwillems says that is not how it happened and clearly this time RedBull were unable to keep him on board so it was perfectly possible for McLaren to have recruited him this time

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Peter1919 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
It's debateable how useful Dan Fallows would have been under these new regulations had he joined Mclaren 5 years ago.

Fallows is much younger than Adrian Newey and won't have had direct experience with ground effect aero except for the brief conceptualization period in 2019/2020 alonside Newey who did have ground effect experience. Imo, Fallow's utility in this current era comes from working alongside Newey on the ground effect ideas just before he left for AMR. This wouldn't have been possible if he left for Mclaren many years prior.

Also, it wasn't just fallows, it was 7 other RBR aero engineers.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

OK.... so how about we try again. Excluding Newey and anyone who has moved in the last 2 years, and not looking back to the past for some ifs and buts....

Who are the best guys out there that folks think might do a better job than PP?

No digs about PP or the team, just constructive opinions if that is possible.

-Bandit

JordanMugen

Peter1919 wrote:
mwillems wrote:
Nah, Fallows already backed out of a McLaren deal in 2015 when he was told Prodromou was also going there, as they don't get on. So you can have Prodromou or Fallows, but not both, and ace aerodynamicist Peter Prodromou is McLaren's pick. :)

Macklaren wrote:
27 Mar 2023, 18:31
RBR didn't block it. Dan and Peter already had a personality clash at Red Bull, it was untenable for Fallows to move to McLaren with Prodromou so Fallows rescinded the deal.

MrGapes

McLaren lands senior Aston F1 aerodynamicist amid aggressive recruitment push

https://www.motorsport.com/f1/news/mcla ... /10449414/

"Motorsport.com has learned that its bid to expand the aero department has now resulted in it concluding agreements with 15 individuals, some who have joined already and some who will need to serve gardening leave before being able to move across. It is understood that the senior staff include personnel from a range of top teams like Ferrari, Red Bull and Aston Martin."

CjC
CjC

*Insert sarcasm*
He’s useless that Zak Brown :lol: :lol:
Just a fan's point of view

Ground Effect
Ground Effect

CjC wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 11:03
*Insert sarcasm*
"Get that American out of my team!!" :lol: :lol:
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

JordanMugen

CjC wrote:
28 Mar 2023, 11:03
*Insert sarcasm*
As long as these individuals have made a move with better job security than the likes of Ricciardo or Key!

f1rules
f1rules

well hope he was involved in their latest car, which only was developed with the rb recruits, cause what aston delivered until, was not amazing to say the least, we need someone who can shed light on what makes the aston/rb so good