2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
chrisc90

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:44
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:30
KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:17
Fernando starts on the odd side of the grid (and likely a worse odd side than Jeddah was) so I dont expect great start necessarily

Anyways on the top speed thing, people are asking for Aston to fix it but does it really matter? I mean, they surely know what to do with the car and where to develop it, it's not like Aston can't be fast without a top speed advantage. I remember Vettel's Redbulls had low top speed as well usually yet he won 4 championships. You could just qualify 1st with a downforce monster of a car and then race off to the distance. They know what to do.
The problem is RB is going about as fast if not faster in the corners , with much better top speed. There was no car going through corners like the Vettel cars while having better top speed. If there were, they would be in front.
Are you sure the RB is faster on the corners? And I don't mean a sector time, just purely the corners only. I think the Aston may be quicker
Have a look at the 2 fastest laps on F1-Tempo. The RB is faster in every corner.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Hmm okay, thank you to both.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:55
For what it's worth I still think something is off and it's more likely related to tires (which affected a lot of people). Mercedes got it right. Many others had issues.
A lion must kill its prey.

chrisc90

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 16:01
KimiRai wrote:
For what it's worth I still think something is off and it's more likely related to tires (which affected a lot of people). Mercedes got it right. Many others had issues.
Yeah, something seems 'off' today. Given cars out of position. So be interesting to see if people have chosen to focus on single lap pace rather than race pace and shredding the tyres come tomorrow. Something tells me the position of the Mercs thus far means they shifted the setup.

KimiRai
KimiRai

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 16:07
AR3-GP wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
Yeah, something seems 'off' today. Given cars out of position. So be interesting to see if people have chosen to focus on single lap pace rather than race pace and shredding the tyres come tomorrow. Something tells me the position of the Mercs thus far means they shifted the setup.
Mark Hughes explains in this article the specific conditions which may have shuffled the order a bit in this qualy, something along the lines of what organic said earlier.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... sappeared/

chrisc90

KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 16:36
chrisc90 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 16:07
AR3-GP wrote:

Mark Hughes explains in this article the specific conditions which may have shuffled the order a bit in this qualy, something along the lines of what organic said earlier.
https://the-race.com/formula-1/mark-hug ... sappeared/
Strongly going to say normal service resuming in the race when tyre temp doesnt really matter.

Will be interesting to see if AMR/ALO have the pace to get ahead of the Mercs without destroying the tyres by following. I think they will manage it just fine.

KimiRai
KimiRai

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 16:44
Strongly going to say normal service resuming in the race when tyre temp doesnt really matter.

Will be interesting to see if AMR/ALO have the pace to get ahead of the Mercs without destroying the tyres by following. I think they will manage it just fine.
I was thinking that Fernando wouldn't be able to do this race what he normally does of being outside the dirty air second and a half area and save the tyres, because the DRS is too powerful here not to use it. But maybe I'm wrong so we'll see.

NAPI10
NAPI10

I am not worried for Alonso; he knows how to keep this car happy & tire alive.
Worried for Lance though; he is starting right behind Alonso so will be praying throughout the first lap :lol: plus he is not able to manage tires like Alonso. He can go deep in the race & delay the first pitstop as much as possible [-o<

chrisc90

We all know Alonso will fight for the position ahead on the 1st/2nd lap if he gets any chance of a sniff of a overtake.

It could well be worth the Mercs watching behind, rather than in front on Max.

KimiRai
KimiRai

This tenth, tenth and a half gap to Lance is likely a much more realistic gap than the one in Bahrain. There will come a qualy where Lance will be ahead of course, in a Fernando weak track.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 18:52
This tenth, tenth and a half gap to Lance is likely a much more realistic gap than the one in Bahrain. There will come a qualy where Lance will be ahead of course, in a Fernando weak track.
What is a weak Fernando track?
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 19:03
KimiRai wrote:
In qualy? Spa, Suzuka, Yas Marina and Zandvoort of the top of my head at least. Jeddah was too, but Stroll missed the third sector

zoroastar

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:49
KimiRai wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:44
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 15:30

The problem is RB is going about as fast if not faster in the corners , with much better top speed. There was no car going through corners like the Vettel cars while having better top speed. If there were, they would be in front.
Are you sure the RB is faster on the corners? And I don't mean a sector time, just purely the corners only. I think the Aston may be quicker
Have a look at the 2 fastest laps on F1-Tempo. The RB is faster in every corner.
https://i.ibb.co/dJp7B1F/tel3.jpg
im not sure that this lap is totally representative of the astons pace. i could be wrong but it was taking every team a couple of warm up laps to get the tires in the right window and alonsos final lap was rushed. i didnt hear the team say that, but it did seem like it. in general i agree though, it kinda depends on the track.

Big Tea

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Apr 2023, 19:03
KimiRai wrote:
One he does not attend :mrgreen:
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

PlatinumZealot

A tenth behind Alonso is not bad. If Lance can keep vaeraging that or better his stock will definitely rise.
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028