2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

dfegan358 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 10:43
Amr seemed to have cold tyres on every restart and probably not helped by the cooler conditions.
I haven't followed Stroll but Fernando all 3 restarts were great & almost gained a place in all of them, but then he was either blocked or touched from behind. Also Stroll touched Fernando again for the 2nd time, he should be careful.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Not so much the restart but pace for first few laps seemed bit slower than Hamilton? Im happy to stand corrected but just something I thought while watching live

zoroastar

dfegan358 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 10:56
Not so much the restart but pace for first few laps seemed bit slower than Hamilton? Im happy to stand corrected but just something I thought while watching live
i think that in cooler conditions where tire warm up and deg is less of an issue the mercs have around the same race pace as aston. at this point, like we saw in bahrain, the aston will outperform the mercs on warmer days and on high deg tracks. but because of that, it takes longer for aston to warm up their tires. i wish they could have avoided that red flag because i wanted to see how much alonso could have challenged lewis. on a hotter day im pretty sure alonso would have come in second because of merc tire deg.

vas_04614
vas_04614

I think VER after race said that due to low deg or no deg car full potential is not reflected in race pace

Might be same reason for Aston unable to attack Merc today

Bisonas

One pundit said it perfectly. If Alonso (Or AMR) is a cat with 9 lives, he or they had spend 2 of them already. :)
It was a good and boring race, but the mess at the end, was a close call, for disaster. That was the second close call to witness a disaster, after the contact stroll and Alonso had on turn 4 at Bahrain. No harm done at the end, with a really good result for the team. Well done.

NAPI10
NAPI10

Any one knows reason behind Lance’s misshape after 2nd start…cold tires?

Alonso Fan

great result. this track is very peculiar in both in its layout and how the tyres behaved. clearly the car is lacking in straight line speed, alnoso was consistently losing loads of time in the middle sector but made it back up everywhere else. this track and baku i expect merc to be joint on pace with aston like they were today. alonso and hamilton were very evenly matched. when we get back to less straight line speed dependant tracks, all else being equal we should resume as 2nd fastest team. ofc all else will not be equal because updates
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Mansell89
Mansell89

Superb opening 3 races for Alonso- 45 points on the board and 3 podiums, amazing turnaround really from Aston this winter.

What a car they could have on their hands if they can improve the downforce v drag efficiency- perhaps a new rear wing upgrade could help, but will it have the magic beans that Red Bull seem to have? We will have to see.

Anything obvious to you guys with an eye for technical detail as to areas of the car that may look underdeveloped or have an opportunity to reduce some of the drag?

diffuser

Alonso Fan wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 15:33
great result. this track is very peculiar in both in its layout and how the tyres behaved. clearly the car is lacking in straight line speed, alnoso was consistently losing loads of time in the middle sector but made it back up everywhere else. this track and baku i expect merc to be joint on pace with aston like they were today. alonso and hamilton were very evenly matched. when we get back to less straight line speed dependant tracks, all else being equal we should resume as 2nd fastest team. ofc all else will not be equal because updates
That wasn't why he couldn't catch Hamilton. The Mercs were faster in S3. It was the difference.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

did anyone else notice that Stroll ran into the back of Alonso on lap 1?
A lion must kill its prey.

draghixa
draghixa

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 18:42
Alonso did say someone touched him in turn 3 but he said he didn't know who he was(or didn't want to tell who he was).

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

draghixa wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 18:53
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 18:42
Alonso did say someone touched him in turn 3 but he said he didn't know who he was(or didn't want to tell who he was).
Yep. It was stroll in turn 3. I saw it on the race highlights on youtube. Could have spun Alonso around and he had a big correction in the middle of the corner to save it. Lance needs to be more careful. You can't run into your teammate twice in 3 races.

On the other hand, these Aston Martins are built like tanks.
A lion must kill its prey.

draghixa
draghixa

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 18:59

Yep. It was stroll in turn 3. I saw it on the race highlights on youtube. Could have spun Alonso around and he had a big correction in the middle of the corner to save it. Lance needs to be more careful. You can't run into your teammate twice in 3 races.

On the other hand, these Aston Martins are built like tanks.
I think this car is pretty hard to warm up the tires and both drivers need 2 laps or so to get tires fully warm up, that's why Lance seems to miss the first few corners very often, and you can see Alonso were very conservative at the first few corners in the three races as well.

Big Tea

NAPI10 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 15:15
His front left break was smoking well just before that, so possibly glazing?
When arguing with a fool, be sure the other person is not doing the same thing.

organic

Big Tea wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 19:20
NAPI10 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 15:15
His front left break was smoking well just before that, so possibly glazing?
Same thing seemed to happen at Bahrain at start - missing t10 on form lap and then careening into back of alonso at t4