2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Oleo
Oleo

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:22
chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:15
mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:12

No chance. He did knock out Alonso with no good excuse. And this is the smallest penalty they have.
I dont know mind. Im sure there are countless examples of Turn 1 contact where it went un-punished by the stewards. Each will have its own merits of course but that penalty was brutally harsh on the best of days in my opinion. It also sets a precedent going forward that turn 1 lap 1 incidents are no longer racing incidents with a lot of cars nearby,
Not sure they treat it as a first lap incident seeing that it was the penultimate lap.
From the document:
"For avoidance of doubt, we took into account the fact that this collision took place at the first lap of the restart, when, by convention, the Stewards would typically take a more lenient view of incidents."

Alonso said it shouldnt have been a penalty, without watching the replay. Considering there was no lockup, Sainz hit the apex correctly, there was enough space on the outside, Sainz kept steering consistently through the corner, no opening of the steering, a racing incident would have been the correct decision. Especially if they fail to penalize Sargeant for a much more ridiculous crash.

Sevach
Sevach

Sainz kept up with Alonso and Hamilton for most of the race but dropped a bit before the red flag when they started going for it.
And Red Bull is just on another planet.

f1316
f1316

My summary of this race is:

- unbelievable bad luck for both cars - Leclerc’s crash, Sainz’s pitstop followed by red flag, the incident at the final restart… if it could go against Ferrari, it did today.
- given Sainz had had to do a lot of overtaking (I believe he restarted the race 12th after the first red flag), his race pace was pretty good. Yes, as has been said, he dropped away a bit from Alonso and Hamilton when they started to push towards what would have been the end, but he also gapped Gasly in that period and, as I say, had had to do a lot of work with his tyres previously
- we’ll never know, but general patterns would leave one to expect Leclerc would have been stronger still, so it does seem as if a step forward on set up for race pace may have been found (although lots about this track that means it’s hard to tell)

So not what you might call a good weekend but there may be cause for cautious optimism that they’re getting a bit more of a handle in the baseline car. If indeed what has been called a ‘big update’ arrives at the next race and does the job it’s supposed to, then perhaps we’ll see some genuine performance.

dialtone
dialtone

Sevach wrote:Sainz kept up with Alonso and Hamilton for most of the race but dropped a bit before the red flag when they started going for it.
And Red Bull is just on another planet.
Yeah but unlike alonso and hamilton sai had to fight through the grid from 11th. It's normal his tires aren't as fresh after 40+ laps on them. Today the car was good.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Worst start in the WCC since the new point system introduced in 2010.
Another record.

mzso
mzso

chrisc90 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:32
It was still from a standing start though so the concept of 20 odd cars (or however many) barrelling down to turn 1 on semi warm tyres remains the same.
Well, I think outright spinning out another driver is likely to be worth a penalty in first laps as well. Though luck for it happening in the penultimate lap. If not for Gasly's idiocy Alonso would have dropped out of the points instead, with a pretty much flawless race completely ruined, this way Sainz merely ruined his own race, a lot more fair...

Farnborough
Farnborough

Looking forward to seeing how the Ferrari would perform given a clean race.
Thought CL was a bit careless to get himself snagged on LS, especially as that corner is always cramped and tricky 1st lap. A shame he got stuck though for such a small error.
CS I thought too was primarily at fault........but......they reset the race with FA etc back to where they were before that lap. The spin was neutralised for bot AM cars. Was the CS penalty then inappropriate ? No one actually suffered any impairment from that interaction (the Alpine incident was completely separate) ultimately making CS and FA spin a "racing incident" its odd how the penalty was fixed at that point, wrongly I feel.

They did apply this logic to Alpine as no outside the team influence was involved, and no penalty given.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

ringo wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 16:53
This car is fighting with the Alpines. It's 4th best at the moment, and can be 5th best if Alpine's developments are better.
The SF23 cannot be seen as strong as its predecessor, it's in more trouble than the W14, but it's hard to say where the weakness is.
That was not my take on the race. Alpine was being helped by the DRS which was worth 1 second. Sainz caught Alonso, who was right with the Mercedes of Hamilton. Sainz basically matched the Merc and AMR ahead and Sainz is the slower Ferrari driver. Valiant attempts to try and rubbish the Ferrari though :wink:

SoulPancake13
SoulPancake13

Ultimately, a disappointing weekend with promising signs from the car. RB are strong, but honestly I don't get the impression that they are some super dominant car. Yes, they are managing and not pushing but every weekend they seem to have some problem here or there. Then again, Duchessa did say the gap is artificially smaller this race because of bad setup + detuned engine. Either way, the floor modification seems to have helped quite a bit. If the upgrade plans pushes the car forward enough, then I think we can be optimistic, although RB looks out of sight for now. Maybe in the second half of the season when RB gets hit by their punishment more, there can be some fun :)

GoranF1
GoranF1

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 20:18
ringo wrote:
This car is fighting with the Alpines. It's 4th best at the moment, and can be 5th best if Alpine's developments are better.
The SF23 cannot be seen as strong as its predecessor, it's in more trouble than the W14, but it's hard to say where the weakness is.
That was not my take on the race. Alpine was being helped by the DRS which was worth 1 second. Sainz caught Alonso, who was right with the Mercedes of Hamilton. Sainz basically matched the Merc and AMR ahead and Sainz is the slower Ferrari driver. Valiant attempts to try and rubbish the Ferrari though :wink:
Ferrari is the leader of midfield.
All this facilities....
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Some cautious optimism. Car looked much better balanced than in the previous two races and was on par in terms of tyre management even on the hards which was a surprise. I thought of feared that Sainz who is nortoriously bad for handling his tyres would get fooled but lasted well. I’m convinced that leclerc would have been able to get within DRS of Alonso, and with much less drag have gone past. Not sure he would have had enough to get with Hamilton, but will never know. On the flip, how much bad luck to Ferrari get, jeez they pit under safety car then the race gets red flagged then get a 5 sec penalty under a safety car finish. You couldn’t write it

Xwang
Xwang

GoranF1 wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 20:39
AR3-GP wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 20:18
ringo wrote:
Ferrari is the leader of midfield.
All this facilities....
All these facilities (if any) are not any more of any use for Ferrari F1 team.
After 2008 Ferrari accepted to make:
1) it's two track unusable in F1 (no tests)
2) wind gallery and cfd usable as the others teams (provided FIA can really police their use supposedly limited use)
3) employes not usable (budget cap)
4) any capability and willingness of spending more not usable (budget cap)
So the (not so) strategic vision and chooses of Ferrari management in last 15 years have both transformed the team in a midfield one and helped to transform F1 away from the technical and sporting thing it used to be.
So IMHO Ferrari management have got what they wanted (not of course Ferrari 's fans).

CjC
CjC

mzso wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 14:12
CjC wrote:
02 Apr 2023, 11:01
The penalty for Sainz was so harsh. Yes apply it if Alonso finished out of the points but he ended up still on the podium🙈
Penalties aren't, and shouldn't be based on how well the driver succeeded in screwing the other...
But if Sainz tapped Alonso into an oversteer moment it would more than likely go down as a racing incident?
Just a fan's point of view

Andres125sx

I´ve been out of the forum for some time as this is not the forum I enjoied in the past

I´ve come back to see what´s up with the start of the season... and I see some Ferrari fans claiming a penalty demoting a Ferrari driver from 4th to 12th because going a bit long on first corner after a start is fair? :wtf: #-o When that restart was voided? :o

Those incidents on first corner are always considered racing incidents. I could mentions many examples, but the case it too obvious to start a debate. Pointless

Sainz performed an awesome race, with an impressive recovery after the red flag just after his pitstop wich was extremelly unlucky for him. He recovered even better than Perez!. Then a little mistake on first corner from first lap, he´s harshly punished... and some ferrari fans say it was fair? No it wasn´t, even if he ruined Alonso´s race, it was a first lap incident wich usually is ignored. But that restart was voided, so the incident should be too. Extremelly harsh and unfair penalty!

This is Lecrer F1 team thread, not Ferrari F1 team thread #-o

FW17

Time has come for Ferrari to conclude that it needs a world champion to lead the team on track and off track. Getting academy driver and managers with experience at Sauber is just wrong.