2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
continuum16

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

NAPI10 wrote:
04 Apr 2023, 16:21
AM can’t ask for better start to the season....what’s more incredible is to score maximum possible points & podium in all 3 races without any upgrade, with just the base/launch version of car.
You can call them lucky in Australia & too some extent in Jeddah but fortune always favors the brave. Team is brave enough to believe in its vision & took lot of brave steps to achieve it.
It’s a long season, lots of races to come but 2 teams will be happy going into this ‘Mini Break’ and AM is one of them.
Crazy to think that without Stroll’s ERS problem in Saudi they would probably be 3-4 in the championship right now too.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

GoranF1
GoranF1

If Monaco was this week , would Alonso beat the Redbulls?
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Chanman141
Chanman141

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 11:41
I think he would at least get Perez.

peewon

GoranF1 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 11:41
If they fail to warm up the tyre as they did in Aus (similar track surface), might have even lost out to one or both of Mercs and Ferrari. Without tyre issues P1-P3. With tyre issues P4-P5

organic

Yeah it would be down to tyre warmup I think. The layout would suit amr, but we still haven't seen RB run their high df setup, and the tyre warmup could be a problem for AMR with the smooth tarmac

And by Monaco everyone will have their imola upgrades so the pecking order may have changed by then

NAPI10
NAPI10

What's the prediction for Baku?
It's an interesting venue for AM; probably their luckiest track on the calendar. This track is a combination of slow-speed corners & straights.
AMR23's strength is slow-speed corners & its weakness is straights due to draggy nature. Avg temperature seems to be in the 20s by late April.

organic

NAPI10 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 15:07
It's an interesting venue for AM; probably their luckiest track on the calendar. This track is a combination of slow-speed corners & straights.
AMR23's strength is slow-speed corners & its weakness is straights due to draggy nature. Avg temperature seems to be in the 20s by late April.
I think they will be 2nd strongest if they have the low downforce wing available for Baku.

Merc and Ferrari have weak rear ends, worse traction, worse braking performance and struggled with tyre degradation; at Baku these factors are important for laptime so it should be good as long as the low downforce wing doesn't cost them too much in terms of rear stability and tyre deg

If the new wing isn't available for some reason eg structural problems (which Ferrari and Williams both had when trying their new RWs for 1st time this season) then they will struggle imo

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

They had this lower downforce spec last year in Miami 2022:

and tested in Monza 2022:

Whatever their reasoning is, it's not a lack of know-how or parts.
A lion must kill its prey.

continuum16

NAPI10 wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 15:07
I would say this is on average the team's best track, or at least in the top 3. Even last year Vettel finished P6 despite making an unforced error in a car which was much worse than this year's. If they can match Ferrari and Merc on the straights then they should be second best, and if they can beat RB in sector 2 then they could maybe stay in a DRS train from Pérez. If 2021 taught us anything, you can get pole with mediocre top speed if you get a good tow.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

peewon

This year is a fundamentally different car so not sure how much of previous performance at the track matters. If they don't have an update to efficiently reduce drag, it could be a tough race.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

peewon wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 21:36
This year is a fundamentally different car so not sure how much of previous performance at the track matters. If they don't have an update to efficiently reduce drag, it could be a tough race.
If I'm not mistaken the reason they were so good here last year was the tire wear. Straight line speed in Jeddah between the AMr23 and AMr22 is very comparable so they can only go up from here.
A lion must kill its prey.

peewon

AR3-GP wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 21:42
peewon wrote:
If I'm not mistaken the reason they were so good here last year was the tire wear. Straight line speed in Jeddah between the AMr23 and AMr22 is very comparable so they can only go up from here.
If tyre wear is significant enough to effect lap times, they'll be second fastest again. Otherwise the twisty section is too tight to overtake and they were struggling to overtake on the straights in Bahrain even with DRS.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 10:28
AR3-GP wrote:
05 Apr 2023, 21:42
peewon wrote:
If tyre wear is significant enough to effect lap times, they'll be second fastest again. Otherwise the twisty section is too tight to overtake and they were struggling to overtake on the straights in Bahrain even with DRS.
Sprint race to boot.

The twisty section is a significant percentage(over 66% in my opinion) of that lap and you got to be close enough to be able to pass them in that final sector. They'll be the fastest accelerating out of that final corner, so they'll be pulling away before other cars can take advantage of better top speed.

etusch

1996 world champion Damon Hill has heaped praise on Fernando Alonso for the level of intelligence he shows while driving in F1.

Alonso scored his third consecutive podium of F1 2023 at last weekend’s Australian Grand Prix, finishing third behind Max Verstappen and Lewis Hamilton. At one point it looked like Alonso’s race was ruined when he was spun around by Carlos Sainz on Lap 57 - when the race restarted following Kevin Magnussen’s shunt.

Alonso demonstrated his quick-thinking over team radio when recovering from his incident: “Stupid rule! How the hell you can put a red flag before?
“Maybe it’s because we don’t complete a lap, we go back to the same positions. It happened in Silverstone.”

Alonso proved to be correct with the Spaniard being reinstated into third at the restart after the FIA couldn’t determine an order, thus reverting back to the one before the final standing start.

Speaking on the F1 Nation podcast, Hill suggested that Alonso would make a great team boss.

“We were making a joke that he should be a lawyer. I'd get him to defend me in a murder charge!” Hill said.

“It's boring driving the car, he needs something else to do. He's going around going, 'Can I do the strategy as well? Give me more information.'

“He already understands the rules. You'd expect someone who's been in Formula 1 as long as he has and had all the experiences to have learned something, but you can't automatically assume that.
“He's invested in this, he understands it, and he knows, like Michael Schumacher as well. “Michael Schumacher understood where the openings were, where the opportunities were, and he took advantage of those, and it's the same with Fernando.

“He's got to become a team boss eventually, because he'd be brilliant. He just understands this game."
https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1023860/1 ... -f1-legend

f1universe
f1universe

etusch wrote:
06 Apr 2023, 14:30
1996 world champion Damon Hill has heaped praise on Fernando Alonso for the level of intelligence he shows while driving in F1.

https://www.crash.net/f1/news/1023860/1 ... -f1-legend
I was honestly blown away by his comment, it took him 1 second to think about it.