2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
deadhead

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

They've been lost since Spa 2022

LM10
LM10

Corriere dello Sport saying that due to the bad weather in Imola Ferrari won’t bring the planned upgrades.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

LM10 wrote:
16 May 2023, 21:32
Corriere dello Sport saying that due to the bad weather in Imola Ferrari won’t bring the planned upgrades.
That makes no sense. The factory is right there.

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

If true, I really can’t get my head around it. They need to get the upgrades on the car as soon as possible, don’t see the benefit in waiting!

continuum16

Not bringing upgrades would make little to no sense. The *only* reason I could fathom is that if there is no dry running, then there is going to be limited opportunity to gather data, and it would be better for the drivers to build confidence without upgrades and having to back-to-back specifications. But even then if I was in charge of the team that is not the approach I'd take.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Merc are bringing a brand new car :lol:

Maybe it's just an excuse and the parts are not ready.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 16 May 2023, 23:49, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

continuum16 wrote:
16 May 2023, 23:42
Not bringing upgrades would make little to no sense. The *only* reason I could fathom is that if there is no dry running, then there is going to be limited opportunity to gather data, and it would be better for the drivers to build confidence without upgrades and having to back-to-back specifications. But even then if I was in charge of the team that is not the approach I'd take.
There should be no question about whether it works or not once you've comitted to that kind of upgrade and spent the money. They will never get that time or money back.

continuum16

AR3-GP wrote:
16 May 2023, 23:48
continuum16 wrote:
16 May 2023, 23:42
There should be no question about whether it works or not once you've comitted to that kind of upgrade and spent the money. They will never get that time or money back.
Of course, there should be no question. But I'm not sure what the hell they're up to at Maranello at the moment.
"You can't argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience"
- Mark Twain

scuderiabrandon

The only reason I can think of not bringing the upgrades, is if there is a lack of spare parts, wet session tend to get messy quite quickly. Next week is Monaco, bar track specific changes, I doubt you would want to bring upgrades there. They would be delaying valuable data for 2 venues which means all subsequent updates will also be delayed?

It just doesn't make any sense to me.

Vanja #66

The information is incomplete. In case of mostly wet weekend, they will leave the old rear suspension. If mostly dry, they will use new rear suspension. Other new aero parts will be used in any case.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

LM10
LM10

Yes, my bad, the information I delivered was not detailed.

As per Autosport, Ferrari will introduce a modified diffuser. But it seems (likely because of bad weather) they’ll bring the new rear suspension to the Spanish GP. While Ferrari will bring a new diffuser to Imola, they’re working on further changes to the floor and this new floor will be introduced alongside the new suspension at the Spanish GP.

f1316
f1316

Well now the race is off completely so it academic.

The scuttlebutt seems to be that they also wouldn’t bring the suspension to Monaco because of the unusual nature of the track. Again, I kinda get it - Monaco generally is about the drivers getting comfortable pushing more and more as the weekend goes on, rather than testing new parts - but also seems like a missed opportunity. You could still run it in FP1 on one car and at least gather data.

Speaking of Monaco, you might suspect this is an opportunity for Ferrari to win one, given qualifying pace and impossibility of overtaking. It remains to be seen if Red Bull could actually just be much quicker in qualifying though if they sacrifice some race pace - which they almost certainly would do to get track position in Monaco.

Sevach
Sevach

Monaco should be Ferrari's best shot as things currently stand.
Already rumors that the suspension will come only at Barcelona, Monaco has very specific suspension setups and all that.
If it (potentially) gives an improvement over a single lap for a track like Monaco i would put it n the car regardless of Monaco not being the "ideal test conditions".

bluechris

Sevach wrote:
18 May 2023, 00:39
Already rumors that the suspension will come only at Barcelona, Monaco has very specific suspension setups and all that.
If it (potentially) gives an improvement over a single lap for a track like Monaco i would put it n the car regardless of Monaco not being the "ideal test conditions".
You dont want the drivers learning from the start how to drive the car with walls near you at centimeters no matter how good they are. A suspension change is a funtamental change imo.

Sevach
Sevach

bluechris wrote:
18 May 2023, 07:44
Sevach wrote:
18 May 2023, 00:39
You dont want the drivers learning from the start how to drive the car with walls near you at centimeters no matter how good they are. A suspension change is a funtamental change imo.
That's what FP and Q1/2 are for, get a good feel for the limit.
Race in Monaco everybody settles down and leave a safe margin.
I stick by the opinion Ferrari should run the best they got, this might be their best chance of getting a win all year.

The question is wether this suspension will be better for the very specific requirements of Monaco.