2023 car speculation

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
vorticism

Re: 2023 car speculation

organic wrote:
14 May 2023, 22:28

I think amr already had wider and narrower intakes than the early rb19. RB's inlet change brought them more in line with what amr have really
True, although it's apples to oranges. The AMR inlet is triangular while the RB's is rectangular. The inner part of the AMR is now taller than the RB with the letterbox intakes. So, will AMR further acutate (acutify? :D ) their triangles? With more understanding of cooling they may reduce inlet sizes--this seems to be what RB have figured out based on 1.3 yrs data. The triangle does seem like a more ideal shape for the area, imo.

𓄀

vorticism

So, debuts of the supposedly big bodywork updates delayed and appearing at... Monaco?!
𓄀

vorticism

ryaan2904 wrote:
18 May 2023, 09:25
AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:48
sucof wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:16
Adding to the suspension subject:
Although I think the importance of the suspension was always underrated in this forum, probably because aerodynamic components are the most visible thing on a car, do not forget that beside the move to make underbody aerodynamics more important, the tires changed as well!
These new tires rely on suspension a lot more than the previous ones, and also allow more control by the suspension regarding how the car behaves.
So tires also made suspension more important.
Everyone benefitted from this. Instead of having to deal with undamped tire dynamics, more of the control is in the suspension. This should have made the job easier.
They shouldnt have banned dampers and exotic suspension elements for these new gen cars. With higher focus on suspension systems, this just feels like artificially creating unnecessary headaches for the teams. Sure the top teams might cope beautifully (hold my ferrari & mercedes), but the smaller teams might takes years to be truly competitive. Makes low sense to do this if what you wanted was more competition from the backmarkers.
As others have noted before, it seems like mass dampers and inerters could have been used to quell porpoising. In the interest of simplicity though, changes to the prescribed floor geometry could also eliminate porpoising, imo. I have some ideas for that which I might post later.
𓄀

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

vorticism wrote:
18 May 2023, 18:17
ryaan2904 wrote:
18 May 2023, 09:25
AR3-GP wrote:
13 May 2023, 19:48

Everyone benefitted from this. Instead of having to deal with undamped tire dynamics, more of the control is in the suspension. This should have made the job easier.
They shouldnt have banned dampers and exotic suspension elements for these new gen cars. With higher focus on suspension systems, this just feels like artificially creating unnecessary headaches for the teams. Sure the top teams might cope beautifully (hold my ferrari & mercedes), but the smaller teams might takes years to be truly competitive. Makes low sense to do this if what you wanted was more competition from the backmarkers.
As others have noted before, it seems like mass dampers and inerters could have been used to quell porpoising. In the interest of simplicity though, changes to the prescribed floor geometry could also eliminate porpoising, imo. I have some ideas for that which I might post later.
Changes to the floor geometry created thousands of hours of reworking in the windtunnel even though no one was porpoising come the end of 2022.

AMG.Tzan

Curious to see if Pirelli’s new tires from Silverstone onwards are going to bring anyone closer to Red Bull or take them even further ahead!

I remember back in 2013 when they changed the tires mid season and Seb went on to win 9 straight races…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

mendis
mendis

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 May 2023, 15:44
Curious to see if Pirelli’s new tires from Silverstone onwards are going to bring anyone closer to Red Bull or take them even further ahead!

I remember back in 2013 when they changed the tires mid season and Seb went on to win 9 straight races…
In 2018, 2019 and 2021, it helped Mercedes. Let's see how this one goes.

chrisc90

Tyres the same for anyone. Make use of them how you best will.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AMG.Tzan wrote:
21 May 2023, 15:44

FIA and FOM will be hoping for the former....

f1rules
f1rules

Question: with the new cars looking to be a handfull to get right, atleast here initially, due to difficulties in simulating flows under the floor, do you think, until the tools/knowledge mature, that the pecking order has also in part been influenced by intuition/experince and thats why the grand old man :-) Newey got it so right. I know hes the best. But still. Mclaren openly acknowledged the new package did not show a jump of this extent and they were surprised themselves. Same with mercedes, just negatively. They followed their own concept, which produced great numbers but never materalized. They tried the rb solution, which gave bad numbers. So its interesting, that the teams almost work a bit in the dark as they cannot simulate correctly. So a bit like in the old days where they designed on intuition, knowledge and experience. Or am i totally off the chart :-) I mean, i know its a joke that they say newey can see cfd flows with his own eyes :-) but having that indepth knowledge of flows and experience from the ground effect area, must be a factor. So forexamble we know this "detail" should probably produce this desired effect but we cant confirm it in the tunnel, but --- it we go for it..

EDIT

Thanks Jovlin to highlight the problem, qoute from today. Whats more interesting is, that during the previous rule sets, mercedes simulation/development tools where so good that even their launch spec cars looked so detailed and mature in concept