Ferrari F60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Re: Ferrari F60

Likely gold foil at the back of the seat to reflect heat, considering the engine is right behind him...

Metar

Perhaps gold-plated for thermal conductivity reasons? The McLaren F1 (roadcar) had such a thing on the engine.

Interesting that it's not entirely symmetrical, though.

wesley123
wesley123

Yep it is for isolation, mclarne have actually covered the whole bodywork from the inside with it, the whole engine cover has gold inside.
"Bite my shiny metal ass" - Bender

siskue2005

WOW after all these years i never knew they had gold on their seats
Thank u guys for enlightening me on this subject =D>

RacingManiac
RacingManiac

Metar wrote:Perhaps gold-plated for thermal conductivity reasons? The McLaren F1 (roadcar) had such a thing on the engine.

Interesting that it's not entirely symmetrical, though.
Not sure how well carbon fibre works in a plating process...McLaren F1's gold is around the engine bay, not the engine itself. Same idea though.

di44ety
di44ety

jddh1

siskue2005 wrote:WOW after all these years i never knew they had gold on their seats
Thank u guys for enlightening me on this subject =D>
We have our CF seats gold-plated where the engine is, in our formula SAE car.

PlatinumZealot

Why gold?
🖐️✌️☝️👀👌✍️🐎🏆🙏

Racing Green in 2028

andreas4
andreas4

Because gold is the best heat reflector. And the price doesn't matter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXUPU4O00f4

Miguel
Miguel

OT question regarding "underpants protection"

Is gold better than silver? Silver has always been on my list as the best electricity and heat conducting element, which I suppose is the key point for heat reflection (abrupt change in conductivities). Wikipedia confirms that silver is a better thermal conductor than gold, although carbon (in diamond form) is much better.

I know that gold is used in several places as radiation protection (EA-6B prowler for electronic warfare, F-16 canopy, windows in all space ships), but I always interpreted that malleability was the main reason (i.e. you can protect a window with gold without losing too much visibility)
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

andreas4
andreas4

It is not about heat conductivity but about heat reflection, i.e. light-reflectivity in the IR-range. At our institute, we used gold-plated mirrors for the IR-thermography cameras...

Miguel
Miguel

andreas4 wrote:It is not about heat conductivity but about heat reflection, i.e. light-reflectivity in the IR-range. At our institute, we used gold-plated mirrors for the IR-thermography cameras...
Thanks for the tip. I'll try to do some "homework" to see the differences between gold and silver.

EDIT: I suppose one could arrange then a multilayer coating similar to high quality mirrors and lenses in order to further improve heat reflectivity. Or am I pushing things a tad too far?
I am not amazed by F1 cars in Monaco. I want to see them driving in the A8 highway: Variable radius corners, negative banking, and extreme narrowings that Tilke has never dreamed off. Oh, yes, and "beautiful" weather tops it all.

"Prediction is very difficult, especially about the future." Niels Bohr

timbo
timbo

Miguel wrote:I suppose one could arrange then a multilayer coating similar to high quality mirrors and lenses in order to further improve heat reflectivity. Or am I pushing things a tad too far?
Because you aim at IR range every layer should be sufficiently thick, and multilayer coating might become somewhat cumbersome. But I don't see why same general principle shouldn't work.

zgred

zgred wrote: Image

MattyT
MattyT

A new element at the rear of the endplates?