2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
McG

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

tinuva wrote:
31 May 2023, 08:46
:shock:

Said this might happen. Looks like it'll be a full Honda takeover it at least something without the AM name.
Finally, everyone knows that Red Bull is a joke and Max Verstappen is overrated.

GoranF1
GoranF1

KimiRai wrote:
31 May 2023, 17:23
GoranF1 wrote:
31 May 2023, 13:04
Multiple sources saying biggest update of the year coming in Barcelona.
2/10 sec min. improvement
What are those "sources"? According to Krack it should just be some things that didn't go to Monaco. It's weird.

That account is a fake, no one exists with that name in Aston.
You should be more careful who you listen to, or you'll think every GP comes a trillion upgrades worth twenty seconds
Also Schmidt from AMuS...I heard later it's fake account.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

diffuser

zoroastar wrote:
31 May 2023, 16:28
Vanja #66 wrote:
30 May 2023, 09:10
Alonso is known for his determination to decide on his own strategy in these types of situations. It's not the first time he made a mistake, not choosing the intermediate tyre lost him his best chance of victory this year.
on the sky broadcast they clearly stated that alonso questioned the tire choice before he pitted. they didnt play it but the strategists apparently told him that it was the best choice to go onto slicks. unfortunately it may have cost them the win.
On Lap 55, Alonso wanted to pit and he said "I guess it's too dry for inters,"

Lap 52 .. Engineer... forecast...light showers.
Alonso ... "the hards aren't the best in the weather....I don't know what to do...raining in 7"

Lap 53 engineer " we could go on inters"
ALONSO " Depends on the forcast man."
ENGINEER "forecast said short showers"
Then a discussion about what max was doing(staying out) and that Alonso was still pulling away from Ocon.

Basically they decided together to go with mediums based on their weather forcast.

KimiRai
KimiRai

GoranF1 wrote:
31 May 2023, 19:15

To be fair they don't have the best track record when it comes to Aston Martin.

Anything that comes from Twitter should be taken with a pinch of salt due to the many fakes going around. That account you shared earlier was a fake person, it's Ben Mitchell with some photoshop on. If you want to follow a good account, startonpole for example is an alonso fan that has actually visited GPs and has decent sources from whichever team alonso is with, used to be Alpine before (even though he sometimes gets it wrong as well, as we all do).

Sorry if I came across as hostile earlier, it wasn't my intention.

zoroastar

diffuser wrote:
31 May 2023, 23:13
zoroastar wrote:
31 May 2023, 16:28
Vanja #66 wrote:
30 May 2023, 09:10
Alonso is known for his determination to decide on his own strategy in these types of situations. It's not the first time he made a mistake, not choosing the intermediate tyre lost him his best chance of victory this year.
on the sky broadcast they clearly stated that alonso questioned the tire choice before he pitted. they didnt play it but the strategists apparently told him that it was the best choice to go onto slicks. unfortunately it may have cost them the win.
On Lap 55, Alonso wanted to pit and he said "I guess it's too dry for inters,"

Lap 52 .. Engineer... forecast...light showers.
Alonso ... "the hards aren't the best in the weather....I don't know what to do...raining in 7"

Lap 53 engineer " we could go on inters"
ALONSO " Depends on the forcast man."
ENGINEER "forecast said short showers"
Then a discussion about what max was doing(staying out) and that Alonso was still pulling away from Ocon.

Basically they decided together to go with mediums based on their weather forcast.
yeah i wish they looked at the same weather forecast as all the other teams haha.. but, they did send stroll out on inters before alonso even pitted.. kindof a head scratcher. i imagine they tried to roll the dice, and wouldve looked great if they were correct, but instead, lost a possible win.

F1doc
F1doc

zoroastar wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 03:34
yeah i wish they looked at the same weather forecast as all the other teams haha.. but, they did send stroll out on inters before alonso even pitted.. kindof a head scratcher. i imagine they tried to roll the dice, and wouldve looked great if they were correct, but instead, lost a possible win.
I've been negative about Lance lately, but with justification. The fact that Lance at that time was slow in the race and had been setting poor pace on the Inters could have influenced the call for Mediums. The team need a comparable driver to back Alonso up.

The lack of ambition in the soundbite for Barcelona says it all. If Alonso has scored 4th or better so far this season, Lance should aim for the podium with the same machinery. But no, he aims for just "points". A very midfield mindset.

https://www.formula1.com/en/latest/arti ... TTSTp.html

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1doc wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 05:48
zoroastar wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 03:34
I've been negative about Lance lately, but with justification. The fact that Lance at that time was slow in the race and had been setting poor pace on the Inters could have influenced the call for Mediums. The team need a comparable driver to back Alonso up.
On the other hand, if a 2nd AMR had been running right up there with Alonso, Alonso would have had priority for the first pit stop. So it might not have changed anything.
Last edited by AR3-GP on 01 Jun 2023, 06:04, edited 1 time in total.
A lion must kill its prey.

F1doc
F1doc

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 05:59
On the other hand, if a 2nd AMR had been running right up there with Alonso, Alonso would have had priority for the first pit stop. So it might not have changed anything.
If the second AMR23 was faster on Inters at that time, surely the team would have advised that was the better tyre call for the conditions. The fact remains that the second car was never of similar pace at any time in the race to offer meaningful comparison to help Alonso or the team.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1doc wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:03
AR3-GP wrote:
If the second AMR23 was faster on Inters at that time, surely the team would have advised that was the better tyre call for the conditions. The fact remains that the second car was never of similar pace at any time in the race to offer meaningful comparison to help Alonso.
The catch is that a faster 2nd car wouldn't have qualified outside of the top 10. They would be running right behind Alonso. They wouldn't have pitted first for inters because the lead car gets the first pit call.

It can't be both things. You can't have a competent 2nd driver who also qualifies an AMR23 outside of the top 10 but comes to life when it's time to test tires for Alonso. That might be ideal for Alonso...but it makes no sense :lol:

F1doc
F1doc

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:04
The catch is that a faster 2nd car wouldn't have qualified outside of the top 10. They would be running right behind Alonso. They wouldn't have pitted first for inters because the lead car gets the first pit call.

It can't be both things. You can't have a competent 2nd driver who also qualifies an AMR23 outside of the top 10 but comes to life when it's time to test tires for Alonso. That might be ideal for Alonso...but it makes no sense :lol:
I think the point here is missed. Let's play out the weekend as it was, not a hypothetical race scenario you suggest.

At the time Alonso's pit call was made, Lance was on Inters and floundering. That might just have pushed the team to be indecisive on tyre call.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

F1doc wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:24
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:04

I think the point here is missed. Let's play out the weekend as it was, not a hypothetical race scenario you suggest.

At the time Alonso's pit call was made, Lance was on Inters and floundering. That might just have pushed the team to be indecisive on tyre call.
You said:
F1doc wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:03
AR3-GP wrote:
If the second AMR23 was faster on Inters at that time, surely the team would have advised that was the better tyre call for the conditions. The fact remains that the second car was never of similar pace at any time in the race to offer meaningful comparison to help Alonso or the team.
I didn't make up the hypothetical race scenario. I was borrowing yours. :lol: I thought we were on the same page.

So let's pretend there's a better 2nd driver. He qualifies 3rd. The first pit window opens. The first Aston (Alonso) pits. See? :lol:

Lance had no impact on the tire decision. If anything, his struggle on the inters meant slicks were definitely not the way to go. To put on the slicks showed they never took Lance into account. Lance drove lap 52 and lap 53 on the inters and could barely keep it on the road. Aston responded by putting Alonso onto slicks...The more I think about it, the poorer it looks. A driver struggling on inters means the track is too wet for dry tires...

All teams are using the same weather contractor. According to my research, it's Ubimet: https://www.ubimet.com/en/industries/sp ... solutions/

Aston wasn't seeing anything that others were not seeing. Someone must have misunderstood the forecast. Credit to Alonso for not throwing the team under the bus. Someone misinterpreted the forecast imo.

TimW
TimW

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:33

Aston wasn't seeing anything that others were not seeing. Someone must have misunderstood the forecast. Credit to Alonso for not throwing the team under the bus. Someone misinterpreted the forecast imo.
Don't forget that Verstappen and Alonso were 30 sec ahead of everyone else, and passed the pit when it was still dryer. When most others pitted for inters, Verstappen was already hitting the wall at Portier and it was fully clear that inters were the way to go.

peewon

TimW wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 07:01
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 06:33

Don't forget that Verstappen and Alonso were 30 sec ahead of everyone else, and passed the pit when it was still dryer. When most others pitted for inters, Verstappen was already hitting the wall at Portier and it was fully clear that inters were the way to go.
I thought it was a mistake too and he would've won if they went to inters straight away. But, they predicted that it would be a brief shower and with that in mind, the other factors become moot. I think they need to review their process for this type of scenario.

-wkst-
-wkst-

GoranF1 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
GoranF1 wrote:
31 May 2023, 13:04
Multiple sources saying biggest update of the year coming in Barcelona.
2/10 sec min. improvement
What are those "sources"? According to Krack it should just be some things that didn't go to Monaco. It's weird.

You should be more careful who you listen to, or you'll think every GP comes a trillion upgrades worth twenty seconds
I follow AMuS as a german speaker, also their video blogs. Schmidt didn't say anything about a big upgrade from AM in Barcelona, I don't know why you are saying such things.

Schmidt only said before Imola that Whitmarsh told him around season start that the first "perfomance upgrade" will come at race 6 (Imola). He even said already 2-3 times that AM stays tight-lipped about what they are bringing (unlike Mercedes and co).

GoranF1
GoranF1

-wkst- wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 07:59
GoranF1 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

I follow AMuS as a german speaker, also their video blogs. Schmidt didn't say anything about a big upgrade from AM in Barcelona, I don't know why you are saying such things.

Schmidt only said before Imola that Whitmarsh told him around season start that the first "perfomance upgrade" will come at race 6 (Imola). He even said already 2-3 times that AM stays tight-lipped about what they are bringing (unlike Mercedes and co).
Now because of you I have to spend half of the morning searching Twitter to find that tweet from yesterday.
I say it because I read it.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."