Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Re: Ferrari SF23

Andi76 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 21:09
LostInTranslation wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 20:48
New bellies?
No, not good! Same bugs as always.
My implicit and innate wind tunnel tells me at first glance that there is no forward elongation of the lower lip of the side air intakes such as to bring the attachment to the height of the central pin of the halo (see RB).
Why do I say this?
I say this because a more pronounced lower lip forward sends the same air above the radiators but gathers much more to send under the CoG (center of gravity), gaining many tenths of a second in terms of downforce.
Not only that, a good chunk of the lower bellies could be cut in terms of aerodynamics and the sliding flow of the air which would point towards a precise center creating less resistance to penetration.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't expect anything new in Barcelona in terms of results.
Wow - all the F1 teams must be after you and you must be making millions if you can see all this with your naked eyes. Ferrari - here is one who is a hundred times better than Newey! Get him! Quickly! Come on, man.

But seriously - you are aware that the Ferrari 2017 invented this "underbite"? And also the person is still there who came up with it? So they know quite well what advantages and disadvantages this has and why to do or not to do.
Yep they also have to work within all the constraints in terms of the cooling setup and the SIS. It’s not as straightforward as copy and pasting RB sidepods onto the car.

alleyoop
alleyoop

John Noble call the new sidepods "Red Bull-style".
Maybe I need more photos to understand

Andi76
Andi76

alleyoop wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 21:28

However. Much more. And edited ones.

FDD
FDD

2 vortex generators, I think this is new

FDD
FDD

Andi76 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 21:30
alleyoop wrote:

However. Much more. And edited ones.
Yes, different. I can say more closely to F1-75, pretty vertical with channel like undercut, with upper side also quite different.

falonso81

These sidepods seem to be quite a bit thinner than the old ones. Maybe i am wrong but the sis bulg seems bigger now. The rear bodywork also appears more sculpted.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

falonso81 wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 22:33
These sidepods seem to be quite a bit thinner than the old ones. Maybe i am wrong but the sis bulg seems bigger now. The rear bodywork also appears more sculpted.
SIS bulge is bigger because the undercut is deeper, but the SIS has not moved.

AMG.Tzan

alleyoop wrote:
I wouldn’t call them Red Bull style but more like Ferrari refining their last year concept!

And I’m saying this because Red Bull’s side pods start a bit more in front and higher than Ferrari’s and also their undercut starts a lot further behind than Ferrari! What I also see in Ferrari’s upgrade is that the big undercut behind the side pods is gone and the side pods are again wider and straighter like last year but now they connect to the kick in the floor like almost all teams!

Curious to see if there’s a tight slide like Aston Martin’s somewhere at the back of these side pods…
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

AMG.Tzan wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:09
alleyoop wrote:
I wouldn’t call them Red Bull style but more like Ferrari refining their last year concept!

And I’m saying this because Red Bull’s side pods start a bit more in front and higher than Ferrari’s and also their undercut starts a lot further behind than Ferrari! What I also see in Ferrari’s upgrade is that the big undercut behind the side pods is gone and the side pods are again wider and straighter like last year but now they connect to the kick in the floor like almost all teams!

Curious to see if there’s a tight slide like Aston Martin’s somewhere at the back of these side pods…
I'm almost positive that there is a groove on the inboard side of the sidepod. The connection to the louvers on the engine cover doesn't make sense otherwise.

miguelalvesreis
miguelalvesreis

AR3-GP wrote:
AMG.Tzan wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

I'm almost positive that there is a groove on the inboard side of the sidepod. The connection to the louvers on the engine cover doesn't make sense otherwise.
Even the colour of the top of the sidepod is strange. One can see the line separating on the bath tub border

Enviado do meu RMX3241 através do Tapatalk

AMG.Tzan

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:14
AMG.Tzan wrote:
alleyoop wrote:

Exactly that!

There seems to be a downward trend right there at the louvers but from this angle the groove looks to be much slimmer than Aston Martin’s!

Also curious to understand what the highly inclined floor aero bit in front of the rear tire does!
"The only rule is there are no rules" - Aristotle Onassis

organic

AMG.Tzan wrote:
02 Jun 2023, 00:06
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jun 2023, 23:14
AMG.Tzan wrote:

Also curious to understand what the highly inclined floor aero bit in front of the rear tire does!
I think the kick at the rear corner of the floor was added at start of 2022 as well. My view is that it could be a change that is aimed to maximize expansion (and therefore downforce generation) at the cost of less air funneled between the diffuser and rear tyre to manage the rear tyre squirt

Sevach
Sevach

I can't make heads of the sidepod top yet, it seems like instead of a bathtub it appears to have a narrow downwash channel on the inside and flat outsides.
Hopefully we get some good top angle pics as the car comes out of the pits.

Also not sure if the team has fully given up on it's coke bottle design, though some area appears to have been sacrificed.

F1Krof

Looks interesting :shock:

Wroom wroom

scuderiabrandon

Deep narrow gulley as I predicited earlier

PC: @berrageiz (twitter)