2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:38
organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:37
Lots of drivers had that issue at the same corner. Ham, Alonso had big snaps there which cost them lots of time in Q3
Water?
Yes a damp patch there I believe. Nyck said post-quali it was damp there but you couldn't see it

Mixed feelings Nyck de Vries, who is "a bit disappointed" after qualifying. With good lap he could have made Q3, he thinks.

After two spins in turn 11 no longer achievable. "Apparently it was damp there, but it really didn't show. Hence I pushed full."

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:40
Xyz22 wrote:
organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:37
Lots of drivers had that issue at the same corner. Ham, Alonso had big snaps there which cost them lots of time in Q3
Water?
Yes a damp patch there I believe. Nyck said post-quali it was damp there but you couldn't see it

Mixed feelings Nyck de Vries, who is "a bit disappointed" after qualifying. With good lap he could have made Q3, he thinks.

After two spins in turn 11 no longer achievable. "Apparently it was damp there, but it really didn't show. Hence I pushed full."
Yeah but why are we comparing struggling and losing the car on a push lap versus an outlap with minimal wheel angle and acceleration? Seems strange but let's wait and see what happened.

Vanja #66

Dr. Acula wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 18:17
The fact that the problem seems only to occure in left turns points rather to suspension or differential.
Is ARB (anti-roll bar) not suspension? :)
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

scuderiabrandon wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:19
wogx wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:15
routine anti-dope check
for me is absurd that F1 drivers had to do anti-dope testing.
this is a sport where doping is irrelevant

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 20:25
organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:40
Xyz22 wrote:

Water?

Yeah but why are we comparing struggling and losing the car on a push lap versus an outlap with minimal wheel angle and acceleration? Seems strange but let's wait and see what happened.
Alonso lost it there on his outlap in Q1 and broke his floor

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alonsismo wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 20:39
scuderiabrandon wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:19
wogx wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 19:15
routine anti-dope check
for me is absurd that F1 drivers had to do anti-dope testing.
this is a sport where doping is irrelevant
Not true. Doping can give you strength and endurance advantages. It is a reasonable expectation for F1 drivers to be randomly tested.

dfegan358
dfegan358

Re: Ferrari SF23

So has this upgrade been successful? Are we closer to red bull than before?

organic

Re: Ferrari SF23

Carlos mentioned in the post-quali press conference that the update was meant to improve their low and medium speed performance more than anything else and they've felt an improvement in that regard. And the noises from Ferrari generally seemed positive about the upgrade.

But he also downplayed the amount of pure performance it is adding. He talks about it bringing a step into a different direction/ opening up a different window of operation

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

This car configuration that Ferrari is running is quite strange. Sainz is lifting so much in T9 and T14 on his qualifying lap. Mercedes, Mclaren, Alpine and RB are flat in T9.

You might think there was a trade off and generally Ferrari is a big quicker on the straights than Mclaren and Mercedes, but Alpine and RB are a match for Ferrari on the straights, while also managing to be flat in T9. Ferrari lacks downforce. Somehow Sainz manages to qualify P2, but the other cars appear to have more aero load.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 22:13
This car configuration that Ferrari is running is quite strange. Sainz is lifting so much in T9 and T14 on his qualifying lap. Mercedes, Mclaren, Alpine and RB are flat in T9.

You might think there was a trade off and generally Ferrari is a big quicker on the straights than Mclaren and Mercedes, but Alpine and RB are a match for Ferrari on the straights, while also managing to be flat in T9. Ferrari lacks downforce. Somehow Sainz manages to qualify P2, but the other cars appear to have more aero load.
Sainz mentions that in press conference. Saudi arabia also probably showed it. The biggest weakness of sf23 is the high speed corners. I think they just lack df in high speed. Might be related to their difficulty with ride height and downforce across ride heights.. ofc you're at maximum compression through high speed whilst also rolling. Ferrari additionally still have pronounced hopping through high speed

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 22:19
AR3-GP wrote:

Sainz mentions that in press conference. Saudi arabia also probably showed it. The biggest weakness of sf23 is the high speed corners. I think they just lack df in high speed. Might be related to their difficulty with ride height and downforce across ride heights.. ofc you're at maximum compression through high speed whilst also rolling. Ferrari additionally still have pronounced hopping through high speed
It makes Sainz's qualy lap all the more impressive and that of Gasly less so. That Alpine should be ahead if the driver really put the boot in it. They have the top speed, and seemingly the aero load to stay flat in T9. They really shouldn't be behind Ferrari today.

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 22:19
AR3-GP wrote:

Sainz was actually having to brake in T9-T14.

Only team in top 5 not running their highest dwf rear wing (iirc) and still ALP/RB faster on the straight. IMO should've at least ran it on one car in FP2. That being said perhaps running extra dwf through the high speed would've aggrovated the bouncing making it less driveable anyways. Then they just end up carrying extra drag for no added benefit.

Vanja #66

Ferrari's front is too weak. That front wing is not supposed to be max-df spec, but that's how they are using it (probably due to putting all resources into this upgrade package). They could add more rear wing (max-df from Monaco), but that would only make the balance worse. This wasn't the case last year, so no idea what's going on with the front so far...

This was yesterday, a joke from Charles as far as I understood:

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

pipoloko
pipoloko

he asking medication for the hectics :D

scuderiabrandon

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 22:49
Ferrari's front is too weak. That front wing is not supposed to be max-df spec, but that's how they are using it (probably due to putting all resources into this upgrade package). They could add more rear wing (max-df from Monaco), but that would only make the balance worse. This wasn't the case last year, so no idea what's going on with the front so far...

This was yesterday, a joke from Charles as far as I understood:

Welp in that case I hope to see it in the next wave of upgrades