2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 22:49
Ferrari's front is too weak. That front wing is not supposed to be max-df spec, but that's how they are using it (probably due to putting all resources into this upgrade package). They could add more rear wing (max-df from Monaco), but that would only make the balance worse. This wasn't the case last year, so no idea what's going on with the front so far...

This was yesterday, a joke from Charles as far as I understood:

:lol: :lol:

Sevach
Sevach

Vanja #66 wrote:
Ferrari's front is too weak. That front wing is not supposed to be max-df spec, but that's how they are using it (probably due to putting all resources into this upgrade package). They could add more rear wing (max-df from Monaco), but that would only make the balance worse. This wasn't the case last year, so no idea what's going on with the front so far...

This has been an issue since testing, why are they so committed to this wing?

organic

I thought they did bring the higher downforce front wing at Saudi? That they were lacking at Bahrain

Charles almost qualified p1 at Monaco with this wing so to me it seems it must be fairly high df

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 00:02
I thought they did bring the higher downforce front wing at Saudi? That they were lacking at Bahrain

Charles almost qualified p1 at Monaco with this wing so to me it seems it must be fairly high df
AFAIK the front wing brought to Saudi was just a correction due to excessive flexing?

aleks_ader

I think FW DF is just symptom how car produces DF at rear. I think there is something inherently wrong at high speed. Could be just unnoticed flex of some part of floor. Or could be totally concept problem, could be aliens we dont know.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

bagajohny
bagajohny

Re: Ferrari SF23

organic wrote:
03 Jun 2023, 21:07
Carlos mentioned in the post-quali press conference that the update was meant to improve their low and medium speed performance more than anything else and they've felt an improvement in that regard. And the noises from Ferrari generally seemed positive about the upgrade.

But he also downplayed the amount of pure performance it is adding. He talks about it bringing a step into a different direction/ opening up a different window of operation
So basically we are moving sideways, at least for now.

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
Carlos mentioned in the post-quali press conference that the update was meant to improve their low and medium speed performance more than anything else and they've felt an improvement in that regard. And the noises from Ferrari generally seemed positive about the upgrade.

But he also downplayed the amount of pure performance it is adding. He talks about it bringing a step into a different direction/ opening up a different window of operation
Were lacking in the high speed, this is where we need focusing, were fairly competitive everywhere else.

organic

Sevach
Sevach

scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 01:56
organic wrote:

Were lacking in the high speed, this is where we need focusing, were fairly competitive everywhere else.
It's both kind of embarassing that Ferrari is the only of the top cars that lifts in both 3 and 9, and a little bit impressive that it still can beat anyone that isn't RB around a lap.
Leclerc had a bit of a lift in 12 too.
The car is also the one that it's still a little bit affected by porpoising on the straights.

Did they set the car too low for qualy, so that it sits at the perfect height for the race? I'm talking about that theory that in the race cornering gets slower and with less downforce pushing it down the car raises a bit.

Andres125sx

Sevach wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

A wing wich put the car in front row doesn´t look like that big of an issue :roll:

I know, some of you can only look at Lecrerc, but his teammate is in front row with same car and wing. Assume it, Lecrerc is not god, neither of you will die by accepting this simple fact :P

Looks like Ferrari problem overheating tires now is the opposite, they struggle putting them on temperature, so Sainz who had more problems with overheating now put them on temperature easier, while Lecrerc who was more kind on the tires, now struggles to put them on temperature

Anycase, front row, and bottom row with same car :wtf: . I can´t remind something similar since Luca Badoer

scuderiabrandon

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 10:51
Sevach wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:

A wing wich put the car in front row doesn´t look like that big of an issue :roll:

I know, some of you can only look at Lecrerc, but his teammate is in front row with same car and wing. Assume it, Lecrerc is not god, neither of you will die by accepting this simple fact :P

Looks like Ferrari problem overheating tires now is the opposite, they struggle putting them on temperature, so Sainz who had more problems with overheating now put them on temperature easier, while Lecrerc who was more kind on the tires, now struggles to put them on temperature

Anycase, front row, and bottom row with same car :wtf: . I can´t remind something similar since Luca Badoer
Leclerc the only driver on the grid to say something isn't right with his car, have data to back his comments up and
be still slandered. Crazy.

Andres125sx

scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 11:27

Leclerc the only driver on the grid to say something isn't right with his car, have data to back his comments up and
What data?

scuderiabrandon

Andres125sx wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 11:33
scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 11:27

What data?
organic wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 05:28
it was the post before your intial comments, did you just come on a technical forum to chat ---?

He complained about the right rear of the car not being okay during qualifying, here the data shows him losing big chunks of time only through left hand corners? I highly doubt he forgot how to turn left...

Vanja #66

Sevach wrote:
Clearly, it wasn't easy to unravel where the trouble with the car is and before today's race it won't be completely confirmed if it's a good enough step forward. They expected much better results based on sim data, but it didn't happen. Just like W13, first you need to understand core issues before you can make a step forward.

It is also not the easiest thing to change front wing design mid season, without affecting the rest of the car negatively and we can see where the most of the recent development resources were put to use. In any case, Sainz was still almost half a second off Max - who also had at least another two tenths in the car, so front row is a deceptive success. The race will tell a lot more.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

yinlad

Sevach wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 07:39
scuderiabrandon wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 01:56
organic wrote:

It's both kind of embarassing that Ferrari is the only of the top cars that lifts in both 3 and 9, and a little bit impressive that it still can beat anyone that isn't RB around a lap.
Leclerc had a bit of a lift in 12 too.
The car is also the one that it's still a little bit affected by porpoising on the straights.

Did they set the car too low for qualy, so that it sits at the perfect height for the race? I'm talking about that theory that in the race cornering gets slower and with less downforce pushing it down the car raises a bit.
If it was too low in quali it's going to much too low with 110kg of fuel on board 🤣
MVRC - Panthera