2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Juzh

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

codetower wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:16
But looking back, under his leadership Ferrari managed to get through the engine penalties with the sf90
Wasn't he the one responsible for that engine's development before becoming TP? So in a way he was the one responsible for the fiasco that followed.

dialtone
dialtone

Juzh wrote:
codetower wrote:
But looking back, under his leadership Ferrari managed to get through the engine penalties with the sf90
Wasn't he the one responsible for that engine's development before becoming TP? So in a way he was the one responsible for the fiasco that followed.
Doesn’t seem very valid as a point. Punishing him for doing what every engineer on the grid does sends the wrong message to the team.

codetower

Juzh wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:20
codetower wrote:
Yes, he was. But my point was, he took a risk with the engine, took the hit, and came back. I feel now we are going backwards with clean air in front. No TD’s, no penalties, nothing.

Xwang
Xwang

Is there any remote possibility that Mr John Elkann resigns? If not, Ferrari will keep being more and more uncompetitive.

dialtone
dialtone

Xwang wrote:Is there any remote possibility that Mr John Elkann resigns? If not, Ferrari will keep being more and more uncompetitive.
Zero chance

LM10
LM10

The car behaved totally different in the first stint on the Hards compared to the third stint on the Hards. Leclerc was sliding all over the place at the beginning and contrary to that felt much more improvement in the last stint. The track or weather conditions didn’t change, but the fuel load did. If that is not indicative of suspension problems I don’t know what is.

dialtone
dialtone

If F1 plans to stay in budget cap though they need to talk about BoP or soon they will lose all viewers except for the winning team. This is a repeat of 2014, and imagine what 2014-2018 would have been without the removal of the token system. Give RBR 3 championships and move on.

Juzh

codetower wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:26
Juzh wrote:
codetower wrote:
Yes, he was. But my point was, he took a risk with the engine, took the hit, and came back. I feel now we are going backwards with clean air in front. No TD’s, no penalties, nothing.
I'd say we can atribute at least part of 2023's woes up to him. It's not too long since he was still in charge and these ships take time to turn around. Initially I was sceptical when they let him go and wished they'd let him have another year, but as we're seeing now, maybe it was the right move.

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic

SF23 was never going to show off its best characteristics at Barcelona to be fair, whilst Merc often have their best performances here

Xwang
Xwang

Juzh wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:43
codetower wrote:
Juzh wrote:

I'd say we can atribute at least part of 2023's woes up to him. It's not too long since he was still in charge and these ships take time to turn around. Initially I was sceptical when they let him go and wished they'd let him have another year, but as we're seeing now, maybe it was the right move.
Is Vasseur really doing something? It seems he is saying that the car has potential, which is similar to Elkann's joy some years ago (I think it was 2020) for a fastest lap in a race made changing tyres at the end and so being able to be some milliseconds fastest of the lap made by Verstappen with used tyres and more gasoline a lot of laps before. Total non sense!

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 20:50
SF23 was never going to show off its best characteristics at Barcelona to be fair, whilst Merc often have their best performances here
Yeah but when you look at the differences from 2022 and 2023 you really appreciate the terrible work done by Ferrari.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

codetower wrote:
Juzh wrote:
codetower wrote:
You are just oversimplifying his mistakes. What do you mean by took the hit ? Its not like he (and his team of technicians) came up with a planB/alternate way to compete. Instead they just gave up and started talking about next regulation change. But did they learn anything from it ? No. In 2023 history repeated itself. Befor TD39 everything was good, imo just like 2018 they worked out some loopholes with flexy floor thing built entire concept on it and everything was working fine. Come TD39 and that car hasn’t been same ever after. It looks like even they dont know what is the fault and why car behaves like this. No other car is this confusing as Ferrari.

chrisc90

I'm really struggling here.

There was good potential to get Sainz onto the podium and seems like everything was thrown away with the strategy. The car seems cumbersome.

No idea what was even going on with Charles. 1:21.7's on the hard tyre. To take him off it 17 laps later, then to put him back on the same tyre til the end of the GP. Starting on the medium probably would have been a MUCH better choice and pushed a bit more in the free air at the back having started from the pitlane.

Hopefully Ferrari can step up in the next race (sure people say this every weekend after a GP) and keep the challenge going to AMR and the Mercedes. Otherwise they might end up being 4th best this season.

@Shal_leg
The flexi floor thing is confusing, teams can literally now run their car on the floor whilst the floor is doing its thing. I struggle to see how the plank alone can cause such a loss in laptime - when the challenge is getting the floor close to the floor in this era of regs.

Vanja #66

codetower wrote:
So… I’ve seen here often, it’s been easy and somewhat common to bash on Binotto. He was too soft, too stubborn, made too many mistakes, and so on. But looking back, under his leadership Ferrari managed to get through the engine penalties with the sf90, did a better job with the new regulations than all teams except one with the F175, and managed enough of a correction from the TD39 fiasco to hold onto 2nd in the constructors. I, as a Ferrari fan for a few decades, at least felt we were going in the right direction. Sure, a few bumps… but improvement. I feel that now we are either standing still or going backwards. Mercedes was a broken team last year; Aston was not even close, now they’ve both leapfrogged us. And now even Alpine is on our heels. It just seems the team is more lost now since Mattia’s departure.
As it was mentioned, he was responsible for the design of the engine. It was his responsibility to do whatever he can to keep whatever aspect of its design was targeted by other teams and FIA. You think everything was 100% legal on Mercedes engines? Remember 2013 and Mercedes illegal tyre test with 2013 cars? The one that gave them a massive competitive advantage? Brawn stood up, confronted the FIA and argued they didn't break the rules. FIA crumbled and Mercedes had the advantage in their pocket and this was vital for their 8 WCC efforts.

So with all of that and the embarrassment that was the 2020 season (even with c19 lockdown striking Italy the hardest), what did Ferrari do under his leadership regarding TD39? Nothing. They turned on their backs like puppies and allowed Mercedes to bring them down. If they weren't aware how much it will hurt them, then that's another proof they simply lucked into perfect early-season setup for F1-75. Hard to say what's worse of the two...

The biggest problem for them at this point is that they don't have a TD and they need one ASAP. Cardille is not up to the task clearly, Sanchez is out. No idea who they should bring, but if they don't they can write off the next two seasons already. They should have the decency to release Leclerc and Sainz from their contracts early if they don't bring anyone new for TD any time soon.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie