2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
mclaren111

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

Damn... What a sh*t day at the office... :( :(
Last edited by mclaren111 on 05 Jun 2023, 11:17, edited 1 time in total.

mwillems

I see.

🤣
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

mwillems

MrGapes wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:25
this is why I had tempered my expectations...

Whilst drag is a big issue that isn't the fundamental problem in my opinion.

- The car is very different on heavy fuel... the cars are heavily reliant on the mechanical and aerodynamic grip produced by the car. In qualifying the new softs provide additional grip which mask a lot of the fundamental aero and mechanical inefficiencies. The McLaren as the telemetry suggest struggles during off throttle and late braking phases in medium to low speed producing understeer.. when the car has more fuel you are off throttle for larger chunk of the lap thus the overall time loss grows.
It's possibly something to do with the way the car is able to handle pitch and yaw throughout the entirety of those corners. Rob Marhsall please give us the secrets of the Red Bull suspension!

-Bandit

Darth-Piekus

First thing of all is to hope that the new B-Spec will push that car in the mix with the top 3 leaving those two disastrous years behind.

Peter Piper

mwillems wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:00
MrGapes wrote:

- The car is very different on heavy fuel... the cars are heavily reliant on the mechanical and aerodynamic grip produced by the car. In qualifying the new softs provide additional grip which mask a lot of the fundamental aero and mechanical inefficiencies. The McLaren as the telemetry suggest struggles during off throttle and late braking phases in medium to low speed producing understeer.. when the car has more fuel you are off throttle for larger chunk of the lap thus the overall time loss grows.
It's possibly something to do with the way the car is able to handle pitch and yaw throughout the entirety of those corners. Rob Marhsall please give us the secrets of the Red Bull suspension!
Maybe why the car seemed to go well in a wet Monaco? More gentle pitch and yaw movement means the aero platform is more stable.

mwillems

Peter Piper wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 19:52
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

Maybe why the car seemed to go well in a wet Monaco? More gentle pitch and yaw movement means the aero platform is more stable.
I'm sure it is a mix of many things. Wet weather reduces the top speed deficiency we have, helps us pronounce the cars benefit of warming the tyres up more easily. I suspect the Aero is better when it is slower and more stable and it also allows drivers to make much more of a difference. I'm sure there are other reasons to do with the way the car works but those types of situations do come to us. I'm not sure how the car was today as our representative driver didn't have a clear opportunity to push an undamaged car in race spec.

-Bandit

billamend
billamend

My perception is that the team set the car up for rain, and it never came. With that much wing, it ate the tires and lost top speed.

bauc

The car is still a dud in race pace. NOR made a mistake in turn 2, it cost him the race. PIA was underwelming, LEC passed him on a 25+ laps older and harder tire ..... not a happy sight today.
Формула 1 на Македонски - The first ever Macedonian Formula 1 YouTube channel
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJkjCv ... 6rVRgKASwg

Darth-Piekus

All hope is now left to the new B-Spec Car that is gonna be introduced.

Slahinki
Slahinki

Darth-Piekus wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 22:50
Yeah, it's either that or we're essentially left with Next Year™️.

McL-H
McL-H

Darth-Piekus wrote:
Wasn’t the Baku update supposed to be B-spec? The only B-spec I have seen this year is the Mercedes. And it did Mercedes very good.

littlebigcat
littlebigcat

No the Baku update was the preparation for the "B-spec-like" update that comes before the summer break, then a third update after then

MrGapes

mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

I think it’s mostly aerodynamic related, it doesn’t help that the cologne wind tunnel can’t simulate yaw.

diffuser

McL-H wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 23:23
Darth-Piekus wrote:
Wasn’t the Baku update supposed to be B-spec? The only B-spec I have seen this year is the Mercedes. And it did Mercedes very good.
There is no B-Spec. The days that teams could afford a B-Spec have come and gone with the CAP.

swifteddie1
swifteddie1

MrGapes wrote:
05 Jun 2023, 00:55
mwillems wrote:
MrGapes wrote:

I think it’s mostly aerodynamic related, it doesn’t help that the cologne wind tunnel can’t simulate yaw.
Just my opinion and happy to be proved wrong but I don't think the issues on the MCL60 are entirely due to the deficiencies of the Cologne wind tunnel. They have had a number of years using it to know what it can and cannot do.

To me there are bigger issues with the development methodology and processes that are/were in place. The hope is that Stella and the new technical structure have/will address this.

As much as it pains me to say it the rest of the year should be used to get a good baseline for 2024 and prove out the development processes and structure.