2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Ground Effect
Ground Effect

Re: 2023 - McLaren Formula 1 Team

I think a lot of folks that are nervous of potentially taking on a Red Bull supply forget that the engine isn't being built by Christian Horner and Andrian Newey or even Marshall. Like I said some pages back, they hired a ton of guys from Mercedes, Honda, senior staff who have been working on and building F1 engines for years, The new regulations have made the engines simpler, but quite similar to what we have already, they have something to aim at, they're investing and putting up the necessary infrastructure. By now we should know Red Bull don't fool around. They literally turned down Porsche and a reunion with Honda, opted against Alpine. This is 2006 all over again, when they came in, people thought because it was a drinks company they were a joke. But they hired the right people and the rest is history. I think the risk in Red Bull would be pretty much similar with all the PU manufacturers, at this stage, you just won't know who would be ahead.
Q: (Stefano Mancini – La Stampa) Kimi, will you help Vettel to win his championship this year?
Kimi Raikkonen: I can only drive one car, obviously. 
@2018 Singapore Grand Prix drivers press conference.

CjC
CjC

‘Why Mclarens qualifying pace was a lie’

https://the-race.com/formula-1/why-mcla ... was-a-lie/

Has anyone bothered to analyse/ work out an average per stint for Mclarens race pace? And I don’t mean enthusiastic fans and members on here but journos who make a living in the industry?
Just a fan's point of view

MrGapes

MrGapes wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:25
this is why I had tempered my expectations...

Whilst drag is a big issue that isn't the fundamental problem in my opinion.

- The car is very different on heavy fuel... the cars are heavily reliant on the mechanical and aerodynamic grip produced by the car. In qualifying the new softs provide additional grip which mask a lot of the fundamental aero and mechanical inefficiencies. The McLaren as the telemetry suggest struggles during off throttle and late braking phases in medium to low speed producing understeer.. when the car has more fuel you are off throttle for larger chunk of the lap thus the overall time loss grows.
Stella:

“One thing in the race that you don’t have, which you have in qualifying, is this super extra grip from a new soft tyre, which masks the mid-corner issues that we have at the moment. The mid-corner on a new soft in Barcelona becomes very narrow, but when the tyres are used then the corner becomes much, much longer than on the new tyre and with low fuel. So it really changes the characteristics.”

from the article above, basically what I was saying the other day.

- On a side note I really like Stella's interviews, he really provides a lot of in-depth insight, I think that's good because it gives fans or less educated fans reassurances that they are aware of the issues.

CjC
CjC

MrGapes wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:41
MrGapes wrote:
04 Jun 2023, 17:25
this is why I had tempered my expectations...

Whilst drag is a big issue that isn't the fundamental problem in my opinion.

- The car is very different on heavy fuel... the cars are heavily reliant on the mechanical and aerodynamic grip produced by the car. In qualifying the new softs provide additional grip which mask a lot of the fundamental aero and mechanical inefficiencies. The McLaren as the telemetry suggest struggles during off throttle and late braking phases in medium to low speed producing understeer.. when the car has more fuel you are off throttle for larger chunk of the lap thus the overall time loss grows.
Stella:

“One thing in the race that you don’t have, which you have in qualifying, is this super extra grip from a new soft tyre, which masks the mid-corner issues that we have at the moment. The mid-corner on a new soft in Barcelona becomes very narrow, but when the tyres are used then the corner becomes much, much longer than on the new tyre and with low fuel. So it really changes the characteristics.”

from the article above, basically what I was saying the other day.

- On a side note I really like Stella's interviews, he really provides a lot of in-depth insight, I think that's good because it gives fans or less educated fans reassurances that they are aware of the issues.
I was thinking that what you said after the race when I was reading it!
Wonder if that’s why Lando looked decent in the last stint when he and the top 5 were also on softs too.
Like I say- compared to Perez who was pushing for a podium Landos laptime looked like top 6 pace wise
Just a fan's point of view

mclaren111

Now we need to prepare ourselves for Canada... :(

Sadly, I think we need to prepare for a terrible weekend... 8-[ 8-[

Lucky
Lucky

Andrea Stella: "I can confirm there is no link [between Rob Marshall leaving Red Bull and a possible RB Powertrain Ford as a supplier]. So, we had conversations with Red Bull a few months ago, and part of due diligence in exploring what is available in the market in terms of power units for 2026. But, at the moment, we are quite advanced in our negotiations with (Mercedes) HPP. So, there is no conversations ongoing with Red Bull."

organic

Lucky wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 16:13
Andrea Stella: "I can confirm there is no link [between Rob Marshall leaving Red Bull and a possible RB Powertrain Ford as a supplier]. So, we had conversations with Red Bull a few months ago, and part of due diligence in exploring what is available in the market in terms of power units for 2026. But, at the moment, we are quite advanced in our negotiations with (Mercedes) HPP. So, there is no conversations ongoing with Red Bull."
Confirms what horner said. Doesn't sound like it will be McLaren rbpt

Szabi1112
Szabi1112

mclaren111 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 14:26
Now we need to prepare ourselves for Canada... :(

Sadly, I think we need to prepare for a terrible weekend... 8-[ 8-[
Exactly. My expectation is that we will be the slowest car on the grid. Dont forget Williams has a very fast car on the straights.

mwillems

I'm about 99% certain that many of these journalists read what is on here and run with the stories.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

Ben1980
Ben1980

CjC wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 11:18

Has anyone bothered to analyse/ work out an average per stint for Mclarens race pace? And I don’t mean enthusiastic fans and members on here but journos who make a living in the industry?
It wasn't though, was it?

It was a legitimate 3rd place on pace.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Ben1980 wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 21:37
CjC wrote:

It wasn't though, was it?

It was a legitimate 3rd place on pace.
It's an outlier in terms of Mclaren's average performance on the circuit and in the WCC.
A lion must kill its prey.

mwillems

CjC wrote:

Reality: Rare circumstances allowed the good traits of the Mclaren to dominate it's detracting traits, car legitimately 6th fastest overall on points so far this season.

Headline: Mclarens pace was a LIE, A LIE I TELL YOU!!

Well, underneath it all, the Mclaren does have some good traits and the more we can improve some of the poorer traits, the more of an opportunity the car will get to shine.

Another reality of that 6th on the table to 3rd on the tableis that there isn't actually that much time to make to get right on their heels. A decent upgrade path can see us right on it. of course, same goes for everyone but apparently we have huge gains to make so....
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

MTudor
MTudor

When I posted the video regarding Mclaren with RBPT engines,I wasn't refering to the actual move,not enterly,I was also poiting out that Rob will be start working on the 2026 car/engine integration,no matter if it's Mercedes or RBPT or someone else,also I don't think he will be working alone,I think David Sanchez,Prodromou will also work on the 2026 car.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MTudor wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 23:00
When I posted the video regarding Mclaren with RBPT engines,I wasn't refering to the actual move,not enterly,I was also poiting out that Rob will be start working on the 2026 car/engine integration,no matter if it's Mercedes or RBPT or someone else,also I don't think he will be working alone,I think David Sanchez,Prodromou will also work on the 2026 car.
I think the '25 car will be the focus. '26 technical regulations are not formalized yet. You can't do much beyond engine studies.
A lion must kill its prey.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

MrGapes wrote:
06 Jun 2023, 12:41
Same. I've seen a few in the paddock, and a snippet of last week's press conference, and he comes across quite well.

E: Key to Alfa. https://www.racefans.net/2023/06/07/key ... aren-exit/