2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
JPBD1990
JPBD1990

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Yet to be confirmed on Sunday, of course, but Ferrari looks to have made a step. The fact they got the upgrades produced early, tested and confirmed on a filming day, and delivered to Austria with a setup seemingly in the bag from FP1 is very encouraging.

I was the biggest Binotto apologist, but I can’t help but feel this simply wouldn’t have happened under him. It often felt like Mattia would say it was just this race, or just this set of circumstances, or could be improved through set up, etc, and we would flounder.

Earlier in the year Ferrari felt in crisis, and Fred has actually done something about it. Very proactive. And thus far, very positive. I also much prefer this philosophy of developing year-long instead of simply abandoning early to focus on next year. It’s absolutely true the cars will be much the same, so learnings now will help when developing next years car. I can’t help but wonder if that’s why we suffered out the gate this year - because we abandoned last season too early and didn’t learn what needed to be learned.

Rant over. Long story short, I have optimism for the first time in 2023. I trust Fred, and I like what he’s doing this far. I’m excited for the ongoing recruitment and am relieved to see the death of the ‘promote from within’ mentality that has dominated, and ruined, Ferrari since 2009.

LM10
LM10

I’m at the track this weekend and what a qualifying yesterday. :)
The new Ferrari is something on track, showing more sharp behavior in the corners. It’s scraping the floor and still not porpoising. It’s amazing to see the team finally going the right direction it seems!
And what a lap by Charles again. He lost it in the last corner, but pole position is not everything on this track anyway. 2-3 is a good starting position for tomorrow and let’s hope that the much improved race pace from Canada was only the beginning.

Little update on the weather: It’s been raining the whole night and at this exact moment quite heavily.

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

Looks like the setup they're running isn't turning the tyres on immediately in these conditions. Quite a change. I'm taking that as a good omen for their tyre woes.

Schippke
Schippke

Thankfully the official qualifying puts us in a good position… less than a day later and we are beaten in qualifying by a McLaren and Haas.

Yes, a different day and different conditions but still a long way to go to have an optimal package in all scenarios.

scuderiabrandon

I think we can confirm that the struggle to generate tyre temp when track temp is lower, LEC struggles more than SAI. Perhaps setup, doubt the prep is much different. Hope its means better deg on Sunday but at the end of the day, the car needs to do it in all conditions.

I still think there are positives to take away from this shootout, I think the real competitors are still Aston Martin and Mercedes, we were ahead of the Astons and I feel confident enough to say Mercedes perhaps also struggle to generate temperature. So if they were there I think it wouldn't have changed things drastically.

McLaren were good in these conditions in Barcelona aswell and dropped of massively in the race. Haas cooks the tyres almost instantly, it explains the good shootout performance.

hape
hape

scuderiabrandon wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 13:12
I think we can confirm that the struggle to generate tyre temp when track temp is lower, LEC struggles more than SAI. Perhaps setup, doubt the prep is much different. Hope its means better deg on Sunday but at the end of the day, the car needs to do it in all conditions.

I still think there are positives to take away from this shootout, I think the real competitors are still Aston Martin and Mercedes, we were ahead of the Astons and I feel confident enough to say Mercedes perhaps also struggle to generate temperature. So if they were there I think it wouldn't have changed things drastically.

McLaren were good in these conditions in Barcelona aswell and dropped of massively in the race. Haas cooks the tyres almost instantly, it explains the good shootout performance.
2 weeks ago in Montreal temperatures were really low and it seemed Ferrari did pretty good in race trim so let’s see.

catent

Agreed with the sentiment that the struggles to fire the tires up in cooler conditions bodes well for race competition.

And despite that, it appeared Leclerc was still on-track for a P2 if not for lost time in S3. It wasn't clear to me watching the footage where he lost the time, but he was ~0.19 down on Verstappen through S1, and just under 0.4 down through S2. That would've been good for P2 at the time.

Vanja #66

Apparently, Leclerc didn't do a good tyre prep with his SQ3 tyres. Still, the car definitely still struggles in varying conditions, unlike RB. Could be better for the Sprint, but we will have to wait and see.

I probably didn't do a great job in managing this Q3 , I alternated fast laps with cool down laps, when perhaps a different strategy would have been better. My tires were extremely hot in the first lap and I didn't have enough grip in the second lap. It's a shame, but that's how it went
https://www-formulapassion-it.translate ... r_pto=wapp
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

CaribouBread
CaribouBread

3 place drop for Charls

Vanja #66

Wasn't Leclerc going into the pits in that situation?

#BlessYouLaddie

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

Yeah but they acknowledge that they could have done better, Xavi is just sleeping all tucked up warm in the booth on the cold Spielberg day.

jambuka
jambuka

How’s the weather for sprint and race guys ? Compared to sprint shootout.

Vanja #66

What a joke, Max can mess with Hamilton's fast laps and cost him SQ2 entry and go unpunished, but when a driver enters a pit on a wet patch of track he gets a 3-place grid drop...

#BlessYouLaddie

catent

Yeah, that's an absurd penalty. Shame on the stewards for that decision.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 14:36
Wasn't Leclerc going into the pits in that situation?
He was on a cool down lap and was told at T4 that Piastri was 6 seconds behind. The situation could have been avoided if he pushed from T4 to the pits, or if he dropped 6 second to let Piastri through before T9. The fact that Piastri caught him in T9 when the gap was 6 seconds at T4 shows that it could have been avoided if he slowed more before T9, or pushed to the pits maintaining the 6 second gap.

As neither occured, he was penalized. Simple. There's no excuse really. Managing your track position includes making sure you're not sitting on the apex of T9 to enter the pits, when a car that was 6 seconds behind you at T4 is on a push lap.