2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

I’m not sorry to see the tyres taking longer to switch on. Bodes well for deg and long stint performance, and that means over the course of the race places can be gained.

Red bull clearly have the best of both worlds, but that can come

Vanja #66

Good race by Sainz, although pace was nowhere compared to Max. Sham penalty cost Leclerc an easy P4, at least...
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

Vinlarr89
Vinlarr89

Great race from Sainz. Leclerc isn’t great when he gets into a midfield battle is he?

Vanja #66

AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:15
He was on a cool down lap and was told at T4 that Piastri was 6 seconds behind.
It was an in lap and a bs penalty. Max impeeded Lewis and there wasn't even an investigation. As usual, monetisation favourites get a preferential treatment. It was Hamilton in 2008, Vettel in RB, then Hamilton in Merc and now Max in RB. I'm used to it after 15 years, but still call it as it is

#BlessYouLaddie

Vanja #66

Vinlarr89 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:12
Great race from Sainz. Leclerc isn’t great when he gets into a midfield battle is he?
Better to back off from crazy Ocon and save the car from any damage than risk it all for 1 point, isn't it?

#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

LEC and NOR should've worked together better, I'm sure they both could've got OCO and ALB before the cross over point, instead they were scrapping for p9, also OCO, just like STR would kill before giving up a position so I to a degree understand the caution. Medium was wrong call should've been soft, not that it matters much in the end I still see it as an small error.

It is hard to compare SAI-LEC race since LEC was in a constant fight whilst SAI was in clean air most of the time. The warm up issue is real and we can only hope it bode well for us on a warmer Sunday. This race also showcased how much we still rely on DRS overtaking
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 01 Jul 2023, 17:23, edited 1 time in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Vanja #66 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:13
AR3-GP wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 16:15
He was on a cool down lap and was told at T4 that Piastri was 6 seconds behind.
It was an in lap and a bs penalty.
You can't just erase my entire post which shows why his penalty is valid, to say it was bs :lol: . Oh come on. I understand that it's annoying, but there's no reason a car 6 seconds ahead on a cool down lap should be parked on the Apex of T9!

IntrinsicVoid
IntrinsicVoid

The thing with the penalty is that it would be completely fine if they would have reviewed the other impediments. They should be always consistent but oh well it’s FIA we’re talking about.

Xyz22
Xyz22

25s in 27 laps. There isn't really much to add.

The other car out of the points and Leclerc has always been very competitive in these conditions and with inter tyres.

Edit: Leclerc just said he has no confidence at all with this car in these conditions. Fantastic.

scuderiabrandon

I still have my concerns regarding the pitwall

They were in the perfect position to take a gamble on the slicks early and waited too long. Out of the points in a sprint race, just take the f--ing risk. They just end up getting undercut massively, at that point I'm sure it would've been better to just stay out

f1316
f1316

All in all the sprint ‘section’ (shootout and race) wasn’t a great success for Ferrari and shows some of the weaknesses that still exist (the needless penalties, Leclerc’s quali struggles in damp conditions, the strategy calls - ie if you’re going to go to slicks, do it early or not at all etc).

… BUT you’ve got to say good pace from Sainz throughout (bar SQ3 for whatever reason). He had Perez matching race pace which is new, and even though Max was well clear, some of that is driver (he is VERY good in those conditions) and/or situational (Carlos had more work to do + dirty air). It still leaves me optimistic for the step change made in the car.

Seems like tomorrow will be dry and a bit warmer and just really hope for a clean start so we can see what the new package is made of in normal conditions.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Tire wear seems under control. Sainz would have destroyed his inters with the old car.

No idea what was going on with Leclerc. Norris seemed to have him covered.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
01 Jul 2023, 17:31
25s in 27 laps. There isn't really much to add.

The other car out of the points and Leclerc has always been very competitive in these conditions and with inter tyres.

Edit: Leclerc just said he has no confidence at all with this car in these conditions. Fantastic.
It really is the same issue with the car in mixed conditions as entire last year, it's just that RB has improved further. For whatever reason, RB is able to keep the car in the window in basically all conditions. I really hope it's not something as trivial as playing around with tyre pressures, as I'm not sure what other suspension setting they are allowed to change in Parc Ferme.

It's disappointing to see Leclerc losing the confidence in the car in these conditions, when he was impeccable last year. I wonder how much of this confidence lost is actually down to losing the will to floor it after being let down by the team so many times again this year.

#BlessYouLaddie

catent

Sainz's performance inspires some confidence, although they need to figure out what is up with Leclerc in these conditions. Did he just have an 'off' day? Setup choice? Something still inherent to the car that's making it difficult to predict under certain conditions?

That said, I don't want to entirely detract from the progress they've made. If they manage tire wear well, and have a stable, predictable car under hot/dry conditions, that's certainly a step better than not accomplishing either of those things under any conditions.

f1316
f1316

Yeah and the fact is, if it was the other way around - ie Leclerc on the podium with Perez matching pace and Sainz struggling - we’d all be quick to call that a Sainz problem and not a car problem. While Leclerc has generally been great, Sainz has shown a couple of times in these types of conditions that the car can be driven quickly, so ultimately it’s not a pure car issue.

I’m still optimistic for tomorrow’s dry race. I’m not expecting a Max beater but everything being normal I think they should hopefully be able to show strong pace relative to everyone else.