2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:36
KimiRai wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:30
Second time this has happened. Sainz much faster than Leclerc behind but team does not let the faster car overtake. Like Aston Martin but Leclerc is not Vasseur's son so it's worse.
I understand it's hard for fans of Spanish drivers to accept that Sainz is neither a faster nor a better driver than Leclerc after the lucky 2021 season that Sainz had, but living in denial can lead to unnecessary frustration :) Also, and far more importantly, it leads to needlessly biased discussions on the Ferrari-team-fan thread :)
That's irrelevant. Leclerc is faster overall but that's not the point, this weekend Sainz was more comfortable and that was obvious for everyone to see. Prohibiting him from overtaking when he was up to 0.2 tenths behind is ridiculous no matter what.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Vanja #66 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
Second time this has happened. Sainz much faster than Leclerc behind but team does not let the faster car overtake. Like Aston Martin but Leclerc is not Vasseur's son so it's worse.
I understand it's hard for fans of Spanish drivers to accept that Sainz is neither a faster nor a better driver than Leclerc after the lucky 2021 season that Sainz had, but living in denial can lead to unnecessary frustration :) Also, and far more importantly, it leads to needlessly biased discussions on the Ferrari-team-fan thread :)
Let them enjoy, these are few rare occasions, may be 2-3 times a year where they realistically get the chance to bring on this “ Sainz - the faster driver “ debate on the table. Rest of the season we all know what happens 😂😂.

Sainz was really good though in the first stint. Faded away in later stages not supported by the car I guess.

bluechris

The team had a plan to go gently at start to see if the tyres will hold and proceed after that to the pitstop decision for both drivers. What happened is that Sainz was pushing like maniac for no reason and that's why they told him to stay put. I liked today driving from Sainz a lot but there is no point to push after so little laps in the race your teammate.

Either way i am happy because Ferrari raised a bit their game and the car seems better.
I am waiting Silverstone hoping for a sunny weekend at last (i won't bet that with the English weather of course) but for once Ferrari and many more teams that did big changes to their cars, need a clean weekend with good stable weather to draw good results of their updates.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Leclerc said after the race that he was managing the rear tires in the first stint. Either he's trying to downplay Sainz's speed, or it's true.

Vasseur said they decided before the race that if they are 2-3 after a few corners, they will not attack one another.

If they knew Leclerc was saving his tires, why not let Sainz go and try to attack Verstappen? Let Sainz be the hair, and Leclerc the tortoise?

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

KimiRai wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:39
Vanja #66 wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
That's irrelevant. Leclerc is faster overall but that's not the point, this weekend Sainz was more comfortable and that was obvious for everyone to see. Prohibiting him from overtaking when he was up to 0.2 tenths behind is ridiculous no matter what.
Imo if you put yourself in Vassear’s place and then may be you can digest it better. F1 is not a idealistic sports its not like ohh sainz is faster its his right to move ahead and team can’t deny it stuff like that. If you were in his place you would think more about consequences rather then right n wrong.

Yes Sainz was doing better job in this particular race but then asking Leclerc to move aside wouldn’t have made much difference at that moment. He wasn’t going to catch Max , nobody can at the moment. And rest of the stuff like VSC and other events one cant pre-anticipate.

Also ferrari has shown previously also they prefer to avoid taking such calls instead they pit. Add to that at the moment Charles seems more frustrated with them with silly things like the penalty and DNFs and stuff. Considering all this to ask him move aside would have bigger consequences then asking Sainz to stay put.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 17:57
Leclerc said after the race that he was managing the rear tires in the first stint. Either he's trying to downplay Sainz's speed, or it's true.

Vasseur said they decided before the race that if they are 2-3 after a few corners, they will not attack one another.

If they knew Leclerc was saving his tires, why not let Sainz go and try to attack Verstappen? Let Sainz be the hair, and Leclerc the tortoise?
If they decided pre-race not to attack if they were 2-3 then Carlos was simply being daft by pushing so hard behind Leclerc. He was doing what I will call pulling a Russell move. Given a decision had already been made I cannot blame Ferrari/vasseur one bit. They have been chaotic with in race decisions in the past and it usually results in more chaos and headaches down the line

Vanja #66

KimiRai wrote:
Not being fast enough to overtake even with DRS is not the same as being prohibitted to overtake, it's worth knowing the difference. Ferrari was a better car than Mercedes and McLaren today and Sainz was able to overtake them easily, didn't he?

He should have been P3 today and has only himself to blame for missing on that due to 5s penalty.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

Let's also not forget this is supposed to be LEC 4th podium of the season, if Ferrari blunder didn't happen in Bahrain and Monaco

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:01
AR3-GP wrote:

If they decided pre-race not to attack if they were 2-3 then Carlos was simply being daft by pushing so hard behind Leclerc. He was doing what I will call pulling a Russell move. Given a decision had already been made I cannot blame Ferrari/vasseur one bit. They have been chaotic with in race decisions in the past and it usually results in more chaos and headaches down the line
He pulled off this move last year as well in the sprint race.

Vanja #66

Xyz22 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:06
I'm starting to think his only goal is to beat Leclerc, doesn't care about either Championship and getting points.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:01
AR3-GP wrote:

I think this is a fair observation, his pace was no as good at the end of stints

Xyz22
Xyz22

Vanja #66 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:07
Xyz22 wrote:
I'm starting to think his only goal is to beat Leclerc, doesn't care about either Championship and getting points.
I mean that has been absolutely clear since the first race. Sainz is a very quick driver especially in specific scenarios.

I think Ferrari should retain him if they want him to be their first driver. He is not a good second driver option.

JPower
JPower

KimiRai wrote:

Agreed on this point.

But, it what it is. We move to the next race.

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
02 Jul 2023, 18:12
Vanja #66 wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
I mean that has been absolutely clear since the first race. Sainz is a very quick driver especially in specific scenarios.

I think Ferrari should retain him if they want him to be their first driver. He is not a good second driver option.
Just for speculation's sake who would be a good candidate for the 2nd seat if we're assuming that they back leclerc to be a full #1 driver (which they should absolutely imo)

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

Vanja #66 wrote:
Xyz22 wrote:
Already said this many times, he has that typical 2nd driver mentality. Beating Leclerc is his primary goal every season. Rest is all bonus.