2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:35
mistake at corner 7
Was it a big one that costed a lot? Haven't seen it.

EJ22B
EJ22B

I would just like to mention that AM is the only team in the RB, Ferrari, Merc, Mcl group that's heavily reliant on external suppliers for some of the composite and other parts. Rest of those four teams manufacture most parts on their own.

James Vowles on BTG podcast said outsourcing parts is three times expensive than manufacturing it yourself so i don't think it's fair towards AM to not keep up the development pace.

This scenario is going to change for the next years AMR24 as by then AM new factory will be fully operational.

KimiRai
KimiRai

makecry wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:29
I have been worried since they said they were surprised at how easy it was to find gains, they basically lucked into it.
Not fair to say that the good things they've done is because they lucked into it but the bad things they've done is their fault. They didn't draw a lottery ticket, people worked on that car hours and hours and it would be an insult to the team members to say otherwise.

According to Pedro the target was getting into Q3 so well done by Fer.
Last edited by KimiRai on 08 Jul 2023, 18:32, edited 3 times in total.

ALO_Power
ALO_Power

Guys, I think you need to calm down a bit. Austria and Silverstone were expected to be a struggle, as got also showcased in Barcelona.
The car still has its strong points, as shown in Canada.
Next race is Hungary, and there things will be totally different.

However, yes, it's true that the upgrades didn't seem to work as intended as they haven't seemed to improve the overall weaknesses of the car.

max_speed
max_speed

mvfad wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:40
Let's hope the upgrade Aston brings to Abu Dhabi brings them closer to Redbull.
Forget redbull, now they have to get closer to 4th best team , may be williams soon. Someone in forum said righly , Dan copied Newey and got a good start but now looks like is running short on own ideas.

Alonsismo
Alonsismo

ALO_Power wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:41
Alonsismo wrote:
mistake at corner 7

i think that he lost at least 0.4s there

renault rs26
renault rs26

max_speed wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:42
mvfad wrote:
Forget redbull, now they have to get closer to 4th best team , may be williams soon. Someone in forum said righly , Dan copied Newey and got a good start but now looks like is running short on own ideas.
They started around Ferrari and Mercedes, was able to overtake them in race thanks to high temperatures and tire degradation. RB was more than 6 tenths ahead. Each 3 teams are occasionally 2nd fastest depending on track. The only difference is McLaren and Williams are closer now.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:26
NAPI10 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:04
Do u guys think AM upgrades put them on another spectrum where they r good on straits but started struggling on slow corners
I said it after Canada. The car looks more unstable after the upgrades. Firmly the 5th best team now. Their in season development has been nowhere. I was worried when I heard Fallows complain in an interview about how restrictive the rules are. Made me think they're struggling to find improvements. Also took them longer than anybody to even have planned upgrades which again shows a lack of obvious direction.
Think they're still weak on the front end.

max_speed
max_speed

Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:50
ALO_Power wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:
mistake at corner 7

Since his return, alonso has not been great at quali ( dnt get me wrong he is still quite good), not at level of verstappen or leclrec. Most of time making some mistake in last lap in Q3.

diffuser

renault rs26 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:56
max_speed wrote:
mvfad wrote:
They started around Ferrari and Mercedes, was able to overtake them in race thanks to high temperatures and tire degradation. RB was more than 6 tenths ahead. Each 3 teams are occasionally 2nd fastest depending on track. The only difference is McLaren and Williams are closer now.
They have a race pace advantage on Williams so they're not gonna be a problem, the others....it was too hard to tell from the FP2 numbers. The race might come down to who has more sets of hards. The hards looked to be .5 of second faster in race pace.

Alonso tested the Mediums, Stroll tested the Hard long run pace.

scuderiabrandon

Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:50
ALO_Power wrote:
Alonsismo wrote:
mistake at corner 7

0.2s on the EXT of Luffield

DGP123
DGP123

max_speed wrote:
Someone in forum said righly , Dan copied Newey and got a good start but now looks like is running short on own ideas.
That would be me. Got slated for that opinion.

I said the honeymoon was over.

organic

ALO_Power wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:30
Guys, I think you need to calm down a bit. Austria and Silverstone were expected to be a struggle, as got also showcased in Barcelona.
The car still has its strong points, as shown in Canada.
Next race is Hungary, and there things will be totally different.

However, yes, it's true that the upgrades didn't seem to work as intended as they haven't seemed to improve the overall weaknesses of the car.
I'm not convinced Hungary will be totally different. It has a lot of the long medium-high speed corners that the car doesn't like.

I think the car's faults were hidden somewhat by the calendar not really having some corner types at the beginning of the season due to prevalence of street tracks

Zynerji

So. I watched Alo first Q2 run onboard. With how close the gears are in the 8speed transmission, I cannot for the life of me understand why they drive by "floating" the corners in a higher gear. I started sim driving in that manner, and got wrecked by the other competitors. It just seems so antithetical, but with the hybrid strategies (not good to raise RPM on corner entry?), it's anyone's guess why they don't pound the corner like a spike instead of floating it like a butterfly. 🤔

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:11
So. I watched Alo first Q2 run onboard. With how close the gears are in the 8speed transmission, I cannot for the life of me understand why they drive by "floating" the corners in a higher gear. I started sim driving in that manner, and got wrecked by the other competitors. It just seems so antithetical, but with the hybrid strategies, it's anyone's guess why they don't pound the corner like a spike instead of floating it like a butterfly. 🤔
Gearing can affect the balance of the car in the high speed. Lower gears can induce more rotation. It's possible that they are trying to avoid this.
A lion must kill its prey.