2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Zynerji

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:14
Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:11
So. I watched Alo first Q2 run onboard. With how close the gears are in the 8speed transmission, I cannot for the life of me understand why they drive by "floating" the corners in a higher gear. I started sim driving in that manner, and got wrecked by the other competitors. It just seems so antithetical, but with the hybrid strategies, it's anyone's guess why they don't pound the corner like a spike instead of floating it like a butterfly. 🤔
Gearing can affect the balance of the car in the high speed. Lower gears can induce more rotation. It's possible that they are trying to avoid this.
Thanks. I didn't grip the difference until a friend showed me what he did. Downshifting under throttle before applying the brakes would allow an aggressive stair-step turn into the apex, then hammer drop for a smooth exit. (He called it "squidgeting".)

This may actually be more of a setup compromise issue now I think of it. Q setup could really afford that driving style over 1 lap, but race pace is going to need different tyre management.

What I wouldn't give for 8 hours in an F1 simulator!

KimiRai
KimiRai

DGP123 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:06
That would be me. Got slated for that opinion.

I said the honeymoon was over.
Fernando accurately predicted at the start of the year that there would inevitably be bad moments as well. Early podiums have spoiled too many people especially those who didn't have to endure McHonda.

I don't agree that the "honeymoon" is over permanently, temporarily might be. Alonso has a higher chance of winning a WDC in this team than he had during two thirds of his career due to the investment and ambition that is behind the project, something others lacked. They are not ready yet but they'll be more every season.

alonsofan
alonsofan

KimiRai wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:28
DGP123 wrote:

Fernando accurately predicted at the start of the year that there would inevitably be bad moments as well. Early podiums have spoiled too many people especially those who didn't have to endure McHonda.

I don't agree that the "honeymoon" is over permanently, temporarily might be. Alonso has a higher chance of winning a WDC in this team than he had during two thirds of his career due to the investment and ambition that is behind the project, something others lacked. They are not ready yet but they'll be more every season.
I endured McHonda. Been a Nando fan since 2005. Endured the 3 legged Ferrari aswell. I think it's bye bye to Nando's championship hopes if any.
I don't know what Aston did with the extra windtunnel time they had. Other teams in the mean while went in the wrong direction, turned themselves around, and are atleast matching Aston if not ahead.
Fact is nobody can match Newey in this era of aerodynamics. Peter Prod went to McLaren and they have not done anything great. I think it's going to be the same with Fallows.

max_speed
max_speed

KimiRai wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:28
DGP123 wrote:

I disagree a bit here. F1 is ferocious development race and so far aston has not showcased top team charactersitcs on this front. In F1 you have to maintain the advantage. They got lucky at start but now when heat is on they are loosing it. It dsnt take lot in F1 to start going downhill.

NAPI10
NAPI10

I am loving this struggle; Podiums every week was getting too boring.At least we have something to discuss & bash abt :lol:

KimiRai
KimiRai

alonsofan wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 20:17
I endured McHonda. Been a Nando fan since 2005. Endured the 3 legged Ferrari aswell. I think it's bye bye to Nando's championship hopes if any.
Same, we've been basically through the same time frame. But I have more hope though.

max_speed wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 20:22
I disagree a bit here. F1 is ferocious development race and so far aston has not showcased top team charactersitcs on this front.
Aston is not a top team yet in terms of personnel and infrastructure, even compared with McLaren and Alpine in some areas. That also means they have a lot of room for improvement.
Last edited by KimiRai on 08 Jul 2023, 20:48, edited 4 times in total.

EJ22B
EJ22B

alonsofan wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 20:17
Fact is nobody can match Newey in this era of aerodynamics. Peter Prod went to McLaren and they have not done anything great. I think it's going to be the same with Fallows.
This is something I also believe in. The RB aero group is not a tier above compared to the aero groups of other teams. It's Newey who makes the biggest difference.

2015 was the one time he was not involved in the development of an RB car and that started out as a big disaster. Newey had to be brought back onboard and he then directed the team on the aero direction. Within a few races the aerodynamics of the car was fixed and cornering performance was back to being the strongest in the field.

It tells us how important the person setting the direction for development is. The same aero group worked on developing both the RB11 Spec-A and Spec-B. Only the person setting the aero direction was different.

Jambier

As an Alonso fan I really hoped for the « mission 33 »

One last victory before retirement, that could have been Monaco.
The fairytale 10 years after the last one

But now I believe it is over, no more wins until retirement

And disappointed by Aston in a way, they have done an incredible job, but reality is that they are not a top team yet, midfield team still building their new factory

So a team that is fighting to get some points, very few updates this year makes it impossible to fight

Zynerji

Jambier wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 21:01

And disappointed by Aston in a way, they have done an incredible job, but reality is that they are not a top team yet, midfield team still building their new factory

So a team that is fighting to get some points, very few updates this year makes it impossible to fight
Singapore is his race, IMHO.

alonsofan
alonsofan

Zynerji wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 21:06
Jambier wrote:

Singapore is his race, IMHO.
I hope it turns out to be true, but I don't think it's that simple. The race is way down in the calendar, and by that time, many teams are gonna develop, and if Aston remains stagnant, then it's bye bye to Singapore aswell.

GoranF1
GoranF1

They should have tested old Vs Canada spec here. It seems like the went in wrong direction whit that update.
"I have no idols. I admire work, dedication & competence."

Zynerji

GoranF1 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 22:16
They should have tested old Vs Canada spec here. It seems like the went in wrong direction whit that update.
Maybe just using old settings on new parts is the issue as well.

Some tweaks and breakthroughs are coming, i believe.

NAPI10
NAPI10

There is no 'One' 2nd fastest team this year. It's a development race to claim 2nd fastest car behind RB.
Everyone is converging on RB philosophy so the one bringing the latest upgrades(and Car characteristics to suit the track) becoming 2nd Best car -Merc in Barcelona, AM in Canada, Ferrari in Austria, and Mclr in Silverstone.
If AM brings an upgrade to Budapest; they will claim the front row alongside Max. That won't guarantee similar performance at SPA; it will be Ferrari or Merc or even Williams to claim the front row. It's going to be an emotional rollercoaster for Fans throughout the year & that's how it should be.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Jambier wrote:

Do you think Fernando will be remembered for the number of wins he has, or the number of podiums? No, he's always introduced by being a double world champion. What is this about just wanting to win a few crumbs like a senior's pension. Fernando is here to win the world championship, that's the only reason he has come back for and you have to hope Aston will do it sooner or later.

Reminder that without Max (I know) he'd be just about leading the championship! Not so impossible :D

In all seriousness now, I want to see what they will be able to do with the new factory, tunnel and sim. I'd like them to build their own rear suspension and gearbox (though that may have to wait until 2026) because so far Mercedes aren't doing that well and it could be a limitation. You'd hear Dan say that they're all very happy with the Merc engines and bang! Honda deal announced. What they say and what they really think are two different things.

diffuser

DGP123 wrote:
max_speed wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:42
Someone in forum said righly , Dan copied Newey and got a good start but now looks like is running short on own ideas.

It's a comment lacking in any thought. You just saying that without putting facts out. Aston haven't copied the beam wing, it's completely different than RBR. The shape of the side pod is a different. Aston have a huge kick out at the base of the side pod, RBR has a gradually almost non existent kick out. RBR side pod is shaped like an upside-down wing, Aston's isn't. Aston's has a huge slot in it(water slide), RBR doesn't. In fact they really haven't copied RBR, they're closer to Alpine if anything. So you're either blind or a troll.
Last edited by diffuser on 08 Jul 2023, 23:32, edited 4 times in total.