2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Alonso Fan

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

NAPI10 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 22:25
There is no 'One' 2nd fastest team this year. It's a development race to claim 2nd fastest car behind RB.
Everyone is converging on RB philosophy so the one bringing the latest upgrades(and Car characteristics to suit the track) becoming 2nd Best car -Merc in Barcelona, AM in Canada, Ferrari in Austria, and Mclr in Silverstone.
If AM brings an upgrade to Budapest; they will claim the front row alongside Max. That won't guarantee similar performance at SPA; it will be Ferrari or Merc or even Williams to claim the front row. It's going to be an emotional rollercoaster for Fans throughout the year & that's how it should be.
Good points. I'm intrigued for this race and the rest of the season. I think all the talk to keep feet firmly on the ground by Aston had some merit. Perhaps we should have listened. Top 5 still the target tomorrow
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

KimiRai
KimiRai

Alonso Fan wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:02
Good points. I'm intrigued for this race and the rest of the season. I think all the talk to keep feet firmly on the ground by Aston had some merit. Perhaps we should have listened. Top 5 still the target tomorrow
Agreed, Krack has been warning everyone since the start of the season to not get ahead of themselves and he was right

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

KimiRai wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:13
Alonso Fan wrote:
Agreed, Krack has been warning everyone since the start of the season to not get ahead of themselves and he was right
Considering where they started, and having more WindTunnel hours than Mclaren, there isn't a good reason to get jumped by Mclaren by midseason....

I think it's easy to get lulled into this sense of "Look at where we came from, we're overperforming" but they started the season with the 2nd best car, and had hand over fist more windtunnel hours than anyone around them. At some point they will have to admit that mistakes were made.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:16
KimiRai wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:
Considering where they started, and having more WindTunnel hours than Mclaren, there isn't a good reason to get jumped by Mclaren by midseason....
Early season races (lots of street circuits) could exaggerate mclarens weaknesses and AMR's strengths and hide mclaren's high speed cornering strengths whilst hiding AMR's high speed weakness.

Silverstone and austria also could be highlighting specifically AMR's weaknesses, and mclaren's strengths. Austria & Silverstone has a lot of laptime from high speed and a lot of the high speed cornering is long. Long corners that amr are weak on and we've seen from Barcelona telemetry that these are the corners where McLaren already shined pre-upgrade.

There's also the factor that McLaren's technical team seemed hamstringed in the previous structure. The last upgrade from the previous technical team was Baku. This is the first development brought by the new personnel and a new technical team and they seem to have been unleashed somewhat. Also McLaren had a blueprint for the direction to take their upgrades in laid out by AMR; the sidepod general layout, engine cover and the associated surfaces seem to be heavily influenced by AMR.

Throw in the team possibly not being able to dial in the setup of the car post-upgrades and we see the current result

I think it's not as straight forward as McLaren straight up outdeveloping AMR. Multiple contributing factors

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
I think it's easy to get lulled into this sense of "Look at where we came from, we're overperforming" but they started the season with the 2nd best car, and had hand over fist more windtunnel hours than anyone around them. At some point they will have to admit that mistakes were made.
Mercedes and especially Ferrari underperformed at the start of the season and they eventually fixed their issues, though Mercedes apart from Spain hasn't got it all right yet. Mclaren has done a great job so far, that's impossible to hide. I don't think they will be faster in all remaining races though.

Sevach
Sevach

Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:50
ALO_Power wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:41
Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:35
mistake at corner 7
Was it a big one that costed a lot? Haven't seen it.

i think that he lost at least 0.4s there
Not a great lap, how wide Fernando is in the corner after the straight affects the next corner and probably speed in the old pit straight.
And as i've said before i believe the car isn't that great at these types of circuits, it just isn't that responsive going into fast corners.

Still i think the team can get the Mercs tommorrow.

diffuser

Sevach wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:43
Alonsismo wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:50
ALO_Power wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 17:41

Was it a big one that costed a lot? Haven't seen it.

i think that he lost at least 0.4s there
Not a great lap, how wide Fernando is in the corner after the straight affects the next corner and probably speed in the old pit straight.
And as i've said before i believe the car isn't that great at these types of circuits, it just isn't that responsive going into fast corners.

Still i think the team can get the Mercs tommorrow.
He lost the back end, not the car's weakness. I'd say it was worth 2 to 3 tenths.

max_speed
max_speed

diffuser wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:01
DGP123 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:06
max_speed wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 18:42
Someone in forum said righly , Dan copied Newey and got a good start but now looks like is running short on own ideas.
That would be me. Got slated for that opinion.

I said the honeymoon was over.
It's a comment lacking in any thought. You just saying that without putting facts out. Aston haven't copied the beam wing, it's completely different than RBR. The shape of the side pod is a different. Aston have a huge kick out at the base of the side pod, RBR has a gradually almost non existent kick out. RBR side pod is shaped like an upside-down wing, Aston's isn't. Aston's has a huge slot in it(water slide), RBR doesn't. In fact they really haven't copied RBR, they're closer to Alpine if anything. So you're either blind or a troll.
Point being made here is that, its easy to look at others ideas and improvise on them a bit than having your own fresh ideas. Also updates not working as expected does highlights Aero department shortcomings. Nonone is saying aston is RB copy but aston is clever inspiration of RB concept. Updates are the only way for Dan to prove himself and newey student who has learnt well and no longer just shadow of him.

A lot of frustratioin this forum comes from people who are true alonso fans and wanted to win one more time before retiring if there was any other driver along with stroll , team can be forgiven as mid tier team.

Team has brought this scrutiny by signing Alonso and claiming they want to win this season. Now there is no hiding. You can't play victim card ( we are still new, less staff) time for that is over. Kill or get killed.
Last edited by max_speed on 09 Jul 2023, 04:35, edited 2 times in total.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Very small rear wing compared to RB here:

max_speed
max_speed

AR3-GP wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 02:45
Very small rear wing compared to RB here:

https://cdn-7.motorsport.com/images/mgl ... mr2-1.webp
Aston was among top5 in speed in all sectors and fastest in speed trap. Maybe They are banking on tyre deg & top speed to make progress in race.

alonsofan
alonsofan

max_speed wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 02:08
diffuser wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

It's a comment lacking in any thought. You just saying that without putting facts out. Aston haven't copied the beam wing, it's completely different than RBR. The shape of the side pod is a different. Aston have a huge kick out at the base of the side pod, RBR has a gradually almost non existent kick out. RBR side pod is shaped like an upside-down wing, Aston's isn't. Aston's has a huge slot in it(water slide), RBR doesn't. In fact they really haven't copied RBR, they're closer to Alpine if anything. So you're either blind or a troll.
Point being made here is that, its easy to look at others ideas and improvise on them a bit than having your own fresh ideas. Also updates not working as expected does highlights Aero department shortcomings. Nonone is saying aston is RB copy but aston is clever inspiration of RB concept. Updates are the only way for Dan to prove himself and newey student who has learnt well and no longer just shadow of him.

A lot of frustratioin this forum comes from people who are true alonso fans and wanted to win one more time before retiring if there was any other driver along with stroll , team can be forgiven as mid tier team.

Team has brought this scrutiny by signing Alonso and claiming they want to win this season. Now there is no hiding. You can't play victim card ( we are still new, less staff) time for that is over. Kill or get killed.
Team did not claim that they want to win. Alonso said he wants to go one step furthur after getting back to back podiums.
True Alonso fans want to see him win, and it's not a 1 race victory, but the WDC. Also, if the team has the 2nd fastest car at the start of the season, and the team says that it's just the start of the concept which they can develop furthur, then is it wrong for the fans to expect to catch up with Red Bull especially with the extra wind tunel time?
Had we not signed Alonso? Every driver on the grid is hungry to win, if they are not, they shouldn't be in F1. And that is exactly why they signed Alonso, to push the team.
Ferrari tried for 5 years and couldn't handle it. Hopefully Aston can, especially since Lawrence is equally as demanding as Nando.

peewon

max_speed wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 02:08
diffuser wrote:
DGP123 wrote:

This is why I was really bummed out by the strategy bungle in Monaco because luck had gifted them a win and they blew it. I was also not encouraged by their reaction to it (Alonso included). They tried to justify it and then say it's hard to make these calls. I would have much preferred if they came out and said they blew it and will tighten up that area moving forward. Even now thy are a bit in denial talking about track specific performance when its clear that Ferrari is better than them at all circuits. I think Mclaren is too. And Merc might only be slower on race pace on a few tracks with slow traction zones.

Alonso Fan

AR3-GP wrote:
KimiRai wrote:
Alonso Fan wrote:

I think it's easy to get ahead of ourselves and talk about the extra ATR allowance. Truth is we have no idea how Aston or other teams are spending theirs. Aston could have used a lot of it to get to the launch spec this year, or they could have used it for next year's car or they, as we fear could have used it for this year's car and not got anywhere. If they made the most of it for this year's car, we'll only really see the fruits of that later in the year. The cars are so track sensitive this year. Every race there is a different 2nd fastest team. I don't think it's fair to say team x or team y has jumped Aston in development just yet.
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

ringo

The honeymoon is over at AM.
But i dont think they did a bad. The fall in order may be related to the organizational structure.
How they develop, how they choose the right development paths, how fast they produce parts, cost cap management etc et.
All of those procedural activities by the team itself may not have evolved as quickly as the aero on their current car. So i am not surprised the car seemed to ru. Out of steam at this stage. AM still has some racing point genes in it. They may fall behind mercedes soon enough.
Also Alonso cannot keep fooling the world that he is not old and losing speed. When the car evens up with mclaren and merc and he has to push more we will see the little errors. He may soon turn on the team who knows.
For Sure!!

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Alonso Fan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 12:57
AR3-GP wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

I think it's easy to get ahead of ourselves and talk about the extra ATR allowance. Truth is we have no idea how Aston or other teams are spending theirs. Aston could have used a lot of it to get to the launch spec this year, or they could have used it for next year's car or they, as we fear could have used it for this year's car and not got anywhere. If they made the most of it for this year's car, we'll only really see the fruits of that later in the year. The cars are so track sensitive this year. Every race there is a different 2nd fastest team. I don't think it's fair to say team x or team y has jumped Aston in development just yet.
Maybe we don’t know how each team is spending their WT allocation, but we do know that the Canada upgrade has seemingly not done much or made the handling worse.

That in of itself is worrying.