2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
NAPI10
NAPI10

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

AM don’t have race pace either

Michelangelo
Michelangelo

How did that car transform to one that’s barely faster than an Alpine?

max_speed
max_speed

Thanks to bit of luck with safety car and Alonso holding the neck of this car and driving hell out of it got 7th today else this did not deserve to be in Top 10 today.

Alonso Fan

top 7, meh but i'll take it. race pace was poor on every tyre. lets see what the next races are like. this team still has a lot of potential to unlock. based on this race alone, they're now about where we expected them to start this season. the fact we're treating it as a bad result underlines how good of a job AM did over the winter and how badly others faltered
SHR Modding
Youtube
Twitter
Discord

Sound Developer for Reiza Studios
Sound Modder for Assetto Corsa

Willy
Willy

It clearly seems like the car has gone backwards with the upgrades. This I say by keeping a non upgraded Red Bull. They used to have a slightly slower pace behind Red Bull and now they are massively behind. Would it be wise to just go back to the previous car, at least with one driver to check?

KimiRai
KimiRai

Great job by Fernando to defend from cars all the entire race and (safety helping) finishing p7 with a car that was barely able to get into the points.

ringo wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 13:59
Also Alonso cannot keep fooling the world that he is not old and losing speed. When the car evens up with mclaren and merc and he has to push more we will see the little errors. He may soon turn on the team who knows.
If you're going to hate at Fernando at least do it at the right moment, not when he didn't put a foot wrong this race. Back in preseason you doubted the team and when the streak of podiums started I wasn't able to see you here for months, so welcome back now that you finally recovered the motivation to post.
Last edited by KimiRai on 09 Jul 2023, 19:06, edited 4 times in total.

organic

Michelangelo wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:49
Corner types and other teams making progress with upgrades, and the Canada package not being worth a huge amount. Ferrari, Merc started the team much worse than everyone expected and even then were quite close to AMR. with some corrective measures Ferrari are quick at some circuits with rear limitation

McLaren were already pre-upgrade one of the quickest cars if not quickest through some high-speed corners. They have always produced a lot of df but have issues elsewhere. So now we're at tracks where lot of laptime comes from high speed they can shine. Similar story to Mercedes in terms of high speed performance: they have been quicker in the high speed since start of season compared to AMR except when AMR are able to run their high df RW and Merc run medium

Look at the calendar as well.. lot of tracks focusing on things that amr are good at towards start of year, and as we go on there are more high speed, European circuits like Silverstone. At start of year there are a lot of street circuits.

NAPI10
NAPI10

max_speed wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:39
Thanks to bit of luck with safety car and Alonso holding the neck of this car and driving hell out of it got 7th today else this did not deserve to be in Top 10 today.
Agree…Alonso did hell of a job.Great drive.
Lance depicted true pace of car by let go every Tom deck & harry approaching him & running the race back of Williams entire duration.

vas_04614
vas_04614

Just taking step back and looking at it. No team was really slow today.

Don't think even VER lapped any car today, race was, pace-wise very different from other races.

Hards/Med didn't have deg advantage over softs in first stint and Softs didn't have any pace advantage in last stint.

May be because of new tyres!!! Have to see what teams say going into next race
Last edited by vas_04614 on 09 Jul 2023, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Kamel
Kamel

AM lost a tyre usage advantage with this stupid regulation/tyre material

ringo

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:39
Great job by Fernando to defend from cars all the entire race and (safety helping) finishing p7 with a car that was barely able to get into the points.

ringo wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 13:59
Also Alonso cannot keep fooling the world that he is not old and losing speed. When the car evens up with mclaren and merc and he has to push more we will see the little errors. He may soon turn on the team who knows.
If you're going to hate at Fernando at least do it at the right moment, not when he didn't put a foot wrong this race. Back in preseason you doubted the team and when the streak of podiums started I wasn't able to see you here for months, so welcome back now that you finally recovered the motivation to post.
I could not post. Lol. But i have been reading and watching the team legitimately perform.
I would say they have not been miles ahead of the other teams and with the others upgrading aston simply fell behind. It's still a solid car with the right concept and i think that at least counts for something. The car maybe has most predictable tyre behavior of the others.
For Sure!!

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 02:08
diffuser wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 23:01
DGP123 wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:06

That would be me. Got slated for that opinion.

I said the honeymoon was over.
It's a comment lacking in any thought. You just saying that without putting facts out. Aston haven't copied the beam wing, it's completely different than RBR. The shape of the side pod is a different. Aston have a huge kick out at the base of the side pod, RBR has a gradually almost non existent kick out. RBR side pod is shaped like an upside-down wing, Aston's isn't. Aston's has a huge slot in it(water slide), RBR doesn't. In fact they really haven't copied RBR, they're closer to Alpine if anything. So you're either blind or a troll.
Point being made here is that, its easy to look at others ideas and improvise on them a bit than having your own fresh ideas. Also updates not working as expected does highlights Aero department shortcomings. Nonone is saying aston is RB copy but aston is clever inspiration of RB concept. Updates are the only way for Dan to prove himself and newey student who has learnt well and no longer just shadow of him.

A lot of frustratioin this forum comes from people who are true alonso fans and wanted to win one more time before retiring if there was any other driver along with stroll , team can be forgiven as mid tier team.

Team has brought this scrutiny by signing Alonso and claiming they want to win this season. Now there is no hiding. You can't play victim card ( we are still new, less staff) time for that is over. Kill or get killed.
"Point being made here is that, its easy to look at others ideas and improvise on them a bit than having your own fresh ideas."
You could say that every car on the grid. They've all borrowed ideas from teams, including RBR borrowing the double Bib from Aston.
Last edited by diffuser on 09 Jul 2023, 19:52, edited 1 time in total.

NAPI10
NAPI10

In a way , Budapest will be true test of this new package. AM's argument of 'Track Characteristic' wont work there.
If they end up 4th or 5th fastest ; that means, new upgrades have broken the package instead of enhancing it. Go back to the drawing board. Based on Alonso's comments (after qualifying on Saturday) that we need to reset after summer brake; gives me little hope for next race.

I will still back the team because this set-back will also brings lots of learning going into presumably most closely fought( at least ,that's a hope for all Non-RB cars) season of 24.Team is well funded, shifted to Brand new factory & u have Lawrence & Alonso to push every one to deliver. I have no doubt, they will bounce back.

Zynerji

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:47
Michelangelo wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 16:49
Corner types and other teams making progress with upgrades, and the Canada package not being worth a huge amount. Ferrari, Merc started the team much worse than everyone expected and even then were quite close to AMR. with some corrective measures Ferrari are quick at some circuits with rear limitation

McLaren were already pre-upgrade one of the quickest cars if not quickest through some high-speed corners. They have always produced a lot of df but have issues elsewhere. So now we're at tracks where lot of laptime comes from high speed they can shine. Similar story to Mercedes in terms of high speed performance: they have been quicker in the high speed since start of season compared to AMR except when AMR are able to run their high df RW and Merc run medium

Look at the calendar as well.. lot of tracks focusing on things that amr are good at towards start of year, and as we go on there are more high speed, European circuits like Silverstone. At start of year there are a lot of street circuits.
I think it's just not having the correct car settings to harmonize the upgraded car as a system. I feel that is RBRs true advantage sometimes. They consistently start the weekend with a 99% correct setup where others only reach 95% by qualifying.

alonsofan
alonsofan

max_speed wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 17:39
Alonso has made a career out of driving uncompetitive cars to places that they shouldn't be. Unlike COMPLAMILTON :lol: :lol: :lol: .