2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
alonsofan
alonsofan

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

NAPI10 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:47
In a way , Budapest will be true test of this new package. AM's argument of 'Track Characteristic' wont work there.
If they end up 4th or 5th fastest ; that means, new upgrades have broken the package instead of enhancing it. Go back to the drawing board. Based on Alonso's comments (after qualifying on Saturday) that we need to reset after summer brake; gives me little hope for next race.

I will still back the team because this set-back will also brings lots of learning going into presumably most closely fought( at least ,that's a hope for all Non-RB cars) season of 24.Team is well funded, shifted to Brand new factory & u have Lawrence & Alonso to push every one to deliver. I have no doubt, they will bounce back.
As per De La Rosa, they've already shifted the development to next years car. Atleast that's what I read in one of the news reports.

KimiRai
KimiRai

alonsofan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:57
As per De La Rosa, they've already shifted the development to next years car. Atleast that's what I read in one of the news reports.
Sure but upgrades are still coming that must have been developed recently. According to Krack in Hungary, Spa and Zandvoort.

Alonso said in the radio that some good weekends are coming, you could say it's just for morale or PR but certainly Silverstone was not a good track. While the first races of the season were the peak, hopefully this was the trough and next races aren't that bad even if podiums are more scarce, it's a possibility that Silverstone was the lowest point of the season in pace terms. Who knows, a podium might be feasible in Singapore and maybe with a bit of luck in another race. But then, I'm guessing the future and I could be wrong of course.

In fact, they just posted this so it's a clear sign to the fans to not get too depressed.

Last edited by KimiRai on 09 Jul 2023, 21:08, edited 2 times in total.

alonsofan
alonsofan

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:38
alonsofan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:57
Sure but upgrades are still coming that must have been developed recently. According to Krack in Hungary, Spa and Zandvoort.

Alonso said in the radio that some good weekends are coming, you could say it's just for morale or PR but certainly Silverstone was not a good track. While the first races of the season were the peak, hopefully this was the trough and next races aren't that bad even if podiums are more scarce, it's a possibility that Silverstone was the lowest point of the season in pace terms. Who knows, a podium might be feasible in Singapore and maybe with a bit of luck in another race. But then, I'm guessing the future and I could be wrong of course.

In fact, they just posted this so it's a clear sign to the fans to not get too depressed.

I'll again make the point that in August 2022 when he signed for Aston no sane person ever could've imagined that next year Fernando would have 6 podiums in 10 races, cut them some slack.

If we try to look for patterns in Aston's second part of last year, unless I'm wrong somewhere (correct me if so):

Bad pace in: Italy, Mexico, Brazil (Brazil not as terrible as the first two)

OK pace in: Hungary, Belgium, Netherlands, Japan, Abu Dhabi

Great pace in: Singapore, USA (Austin COTA)
I thought we were rooting for a win in Singapore. Atleast I am. 8) 8) 8)

KimiRai
KimiRai

alonsofan wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:48

I thought we were rooting for a win in Singapore. Atleast I am. 8) 8) 8)
That's the spirit.

KimiRai
KimiRai

If we try to look for patterns in Aston's second part of last year, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere:

organic

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:08
If we try to look for patterns in Aston's second part of last year, correct me if I'm wrong somewhere:

Japan will not be ok imo, and I'd bump Abu Dhabi up to great

Don't see why mexico would be bad. Should favour the draggy car and lots of braking & traction zones around the lap

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:39
KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:08

Japan will not be ok imo, and I'd bump Abu Dhabi up to great

Don't see why mexico would be bad. Should favour the draggy car and lots of braking & traction zones around the lap
Other teams could surpass Aston in these types of corners if it turns out that Aston has lost the development race.
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
I agree but looking at last year, despite that correct reasoning Aston was pretty bad there with similar characteristics.

organic

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 21:54
organic wrote:
I agree but looking at last year, despite that correct reasoning Aston was pretty bad there with similar characteristics.
Okay that's a very good point!!

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:06
KimiRai wrote:
organic wrote:
Well it's just a poor extrapolation I agree. Mexico last time it was hoped for good performance based on those exact terms but the pace was pretty bad for some reason. Could've been setup or something else I guess, maybe this year it's different because it makes sense (but you know how it is sometimes).

organic

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:11
organic wrote:
KimiRai wrote:

Well it's just a poor extrapolation I agree. Mexico last time it was hoped for good performance based on those exact terms but the pace was pretty bad for some reason. Could've been setup or something else I guess, maybe this year it's different because it makes sense (but you know how it is sometimes).
Yes just going by that trend I now expect a bad race for them there :D those car characteristics do tend to carry between years, especially particular outlier tracks for a car's performance

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:14
KimiRai wrote:
organic wrote:

Yes just going by that trend I now expect a bad race for them there :D those car characteristics do tend to carry between years, especially particular outlier tracks for a car's performance
Monza will be an absolute disaster then if the trend is maintained... hopefully it's not to that point.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Not sure whether it was intentional or not, but they decided not to dive into the pits when it was originally a VSC and then stopped next lap when it was upgraded to a full SC. If it was a conscious decision (have to check the radio later) then great job by the team because it was the correct choice.

Pitstops have been great for quite a few races now, at least that is something they definitely have improved from the start of the season.

Jambier

« Good » result for Alonso given that the car was even slower than a Williams…

Worst pace of the year hopefully it will be the low point of the season

NAPI10
NAPI10

KimiRai wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:16
organic wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:14
KimiRai wrote:

Monza will be an absolute disaster then if the trend is maintained... hopefully it's not to that point.
What exactly is 'Car Charterisitic' & how it carries over seasons even after the change to the overall design philosophy?