2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Sevach
Sevach

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

f1316 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 18:55
The strategy wasn’t good but the bigger problem, as Charles said, was the lack of pace. Just not fast at any point of the race and Charles talks of poor traction.

Part of me wonders if they made the wrong choice on downforce levels but I’m more worried that it wouldn’t have mattered and this is just a reflection of the genuine pace. I’m sure it’ll be better in Hungary - as this was never going to be the best race for Ferrari - but still, not the progress I think we all hoped to see.
Pace wasn't great, but they still were hanging around 3,5 or so behind Piastri when they decided to pit, no brutal drop off or anything.
Where they scared of a Russell undercut? By going that early into the hards they left themselves wide open to an offset with mediums to boot.

Why was Ferrari so scared of the soft? It was clearly a raceable tire, the team needs a big rethink as it comes to strategy.

dialtone
dialtone

Ferrari strategy is always a bunch of clowns... Occasionally it goes well but it's luck.

Xyz22
Xyz22

This car is so so bad guys...

LM10
LM10

Xyz22 wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 20:22
https://media.discordapp.net/attachment ... height=613

This car is so so bad guys...
What point are you trying to prove with telemetry of variously selected laps?

We all know that the car lacks performance on heavy fuel, nothing new there. This does not mean that the car has some intrinsic pace issue as it has more than decent one lap pace.

What’s definitely bad, though, is the strategy department. Easily worst among all.

aleks_ader

Guys Ferrari was 4th force. Result deserved.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

hape
hape

I wonder if these new tyres play any role in the huge gains of McLaren / Williams and the drop in performance of Aston Martin / Ferrari. Of course track specific differences occur as do car upgrades to some extend but I’m curious how next races pan out.

mzso
mzso

ringo wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 19:28
The pitstops timing was the right call. Remember even sainz was being caught by Lewis right before pitting. Lewis was in drs range. So i dont have a problem with their strategy. The safety car screwed their race really. The hard was maybe not best choice st the time.
Just an unlucky race. But this car is still quite strong. I can that it's much improved.
Don't be silly. The hards should have remained in the garage. Russel was fine with soft for half the race. Starting on mediums than changing to softs is easier... It was a strategic blunder as ever.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

ringo wrote:
The pitstops timing was the right call. Remember even sainz was being caught by Lewis right before pitting. Lewis was in drs range. So i dont have a problem with their strategy. The safety car screwed their race really. The hard was maybe not best choice st the time.
Just an unlucky race. But this car is still quite strong. I can that it's much improved.
I disagree.
Russell was still behind Leclerc, why "let him through" ? Especially when Leclerc had much harder tyres...
Hamilton spent most of his run (after he overtook Alonso) +2.5sec behind Sainz. He closed the gap to 1.1/2 before Sainz stopped, but he couldn't get in the DRS zone, and for sure he would've had the same issue as his teamates to overtake due to a poor top speed and a poor speed in S2.

Safety car is an excuse. Russell could - finally - overtake Leclerc before the SC due to the tyre offset the Ferrari strategy gave him (he couldn't overtake him, still, in straight line thats why he passed him on the outside in the slow speed section). Sainz was lapping faster than him, and Hamilton was building an even bigger tyre offset because he would've put scrubbed soft even without the SC probably.

To add to my point, Vasseur and Charles said in post race interview that they stopped to early and they couldve pushed more the tyres because there was virtually no degradation

Xyz22
Xyz22

hape wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 22:15
I wonder if these new tyres play any role in the huge gains of McLaren / Williams and the drop in performance of Aston Martin / Ferrari. Of course track specific differences occur as do car upgrades to some extend but I’m curious how next races pan out.
I doubt it. The SF 23 had the usual issues already seen in previous races, like Jeddah.

aleks_ader

I think Ferrari really needs to rethink their "new" simulator and car setups operations. Clearly new people needed in this area of car setup and even its development.
"And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver..." Ayrton Senna

Xyz22
Xyz22

aleks_ader wrote:
09 Jul 2023, 23:21
I think Ferrari really needs to rethink their "new" simulator and car setups operations. Clearly new people needed in this area of car setup and even its development.
There isn't much they can do with the current car. Anyway, their approach in FPs sessions was absolutely no sense (even outside Lec non doing FP2) as they only tried the soft tyre which they didn't even use in the race. They had literally 0 info on medium and hard tyres. Without any data, they completely panicked in the race.

Sevach
Sevach

hape wrote:
These tires might be harder to overheat than the previous one, they are essentially built for faster cars, and might be super dimensioned right now.
Russell went more than half the race distance on softs, running on dirty air, no drop offs... that's very unlike the previous tires.
Lando's engineer was freaking out about when his tires would drop, but Lando driving on feel was telling him they were solid.

In theory these things would be good for Ferrari, but of course the strategy team failed to maximize this by being overly conservative on choice and relying on (old?)data instead of seeing the evidence in front of their eyes.

Mclaren was also super conservative bolting hards on Lando, could've lost him second place.
Red Bull and Mercedes probably planned on taking hards for the second stint when they started the race, but they looked at how tires were performing and made a call, Ferrari needs to be able to do this.

ringo

mzso wrote:
ringo wrote:
Don't be silly. The hards should have remained in the garage. Russel was fine with soft for half the race. Starting on mediums than changing to softs is easier... It was a strategic blunder as ever.
Russel drives a different car. Cannot use his performance to predict Ferrari's. Look on the Mclaren. They were flying on those same hards that neutered Ferrari's race.
I am not sure why Leclerc stopped so early. I dont know if the team are clueless when it comes to processing real time data, or they just dont collect enough data in practice to predict how far the car can go on the tyre.
But if they really believed they had to stop based on data, then it's hard to blame them.
The strategy was okay if the data was pointing to that. But if it was not then yes it was a crap strategy. If they have poor practice data, and also poor real time predicting tools...then there are in serious trouble and may need a wholesale shake up at the team and implementation of new tools before they can even think of a championship.
Maybe Vaseur is noting what he will change next year. But I hope the team really adopts some of the operations of the other top teams.
For Sure!!

codetower

When they asked Leclerc to go with plan B, and he responded that he didn’t know what plan B was, what was that all about? Was he just surprised they would pit so early?

[edit] ignore this. It was Sainz. My mistake.

Willy
Willy

Fred said they were very conservative on pushing the tires as they didn't know what they are capable of as they didn't have much testing in FP2 as Leclerc was out. It caught them off guard in race and they ended up making one mistake after another on strategy. They didn't get full out of tires which made them look slower and in the end, the other cars were all on the faster tires.