2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
codetower

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

JPower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 16:38
Andres125sx wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:25
Vanja #66 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:00
This delusional and toxic attitude will soon be felt on track, upcoming collision on track seems to be inevitable...
An F1 driver trying to beat his teammate? Holly Lord, he should be banned from F1 permanently :roll: #-o :lol:

Luckily 99% of F1 drivers, teams, and even fans, understand the teammate is the first and even main rival, as he´s the only F1 driver with same car, so comparisons are inevitable. Any F1 driver perfomance will be rated based on his intra-team battle first

That obviously does not mean they should fight hard as a collision between teammates is the worst thing any F1 driver can do, but that´s not been the case in Ferrari (unlike other teams), Sainz has been extremelly compliant of any TO, and has never fight Leclerc hard, so no reason to insinuate an upcoming collision on track is coming, not at all.

F1 drivers are supposed to race hard, respect the teammate, and obey TOs. Sainz is doing all of that, so no reason for your continuous defamations about Sainz, he´s a true teamplayer even if he tries to beat Leclerc, as any other F1 driver will do, and get´s angry when his own team do not allow him to race
Agreed. As was stated from the outset, Sainz did not sign to be a pushover. He should be pushing his teammate but many in this thread seem to much rather a Verstappen/Perez - Alonso/Stroll type performance gap, which considering the results of the past 55 races they've completed as teammates, we know just isn't going to happen.
Nobody is asking Sainz to be a pushover, and I surely do not realistically expect an "Alonzo/Stroll" type gap. Sainz is definitely no Stroll. But in 2 years Sainz has not yet shown that he can keep up with the likes of Verstappen, Hamilton etc. Yes, he did not sign up to be a pushover, but I'm fairly confident he did not sign up to be the #1 driver either. If there are team orders, or a pre-race agreement about who should go out first, or team strategy as to how to manage a race, he shouldn't add controversy.

JPower
JPower

codetower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 16:59

Nobody is asking Sainz to be a pushover, and I surely do not realistically expect an "Alonzo/Stroll" type gap. Sainz is definitely no Stroll. But in 2 years Sainz has not yet shown that he can keep up with the likes of Verstappen, Hamilton etc. Yes, he did not sign up to be a pushover, but I'm fairly confident he did not sign up to be the #1 driver either. If there are team orders, or a pre-race agreement about who should go out first, or team strategy as to how to manage a race, he shouldn't add controversy.
He signed up to drive for Ferrari. If he was strictly assigned a #2 position I seriously doubt he'd be driving for Ferrari right now. And neither would the other drivers Ferrari was looking at pair with Leclerc.

What team orders has he disobeyed?

codetower

JPower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 17:16
codetower wrote:

He signed up to drive for Ferrari. If he was strictly assigned a #2 position I seriously doubt he'd be driving for Ferrari right now. And neither would the other drivers Ferrari was looking at pair with Leclerc.

I never said he signed up to be the #2, and I never said he "disobeyed" orders. But if last week the agreement was that if you are 2 and 3, the plan/agreement is to not fight each other but rather build a gap to the cars behind, questioning that and asking to pass when the only reason you are quicker is DRS... that is adding controversy. If this race you agree that Leclerc has the option to come out first, and he asks to be first, and you question and complain, THAT is adding unnecessary controversy. Unless you are designated the #1 driver (and this includes Leclerc, BTW), and have an agreement or team orders, then asking to override them for strictly personal gain is unnecessary.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

sainz days at ferrari running out.

mzso
mzso

bluechris wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:18
I think they simply didnt anticipated that the tyres will be fine. They didnt countermeasure the lower temperatures and they didnt asked the drivers for feedback (or they asked them but they didnt want the responsibility? i dont know).
The Russel case with so many laps with softs in a MB is totally irellevant for Ferrari because they know that MB is very kind with the tyres always.
So imo we have the above plus the unlucky SC timming and thats it. We must not crucified them i think....
Maybe they could have looked at the tires, or listened to the drivers?
And I don't think Mercedes is irrelevant. Maybe they're worse on tire usage, but they can estimate based on Mercedes' and others' tire usage.
Dr. Acula wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 10:18
I would rather say, they need a big rethink about the people in their strategy department. Bad strategy calls is something Ferrari battles with for years now.
It isn't everytime as obvious as it was yesterday though. For instance in Austria last year, yes they won, but why on earth they didn't stretch one stint out, so Leclerc wouldn't have to overtake Verstappen on the track again and again? You lose time doing that and it's an unnessary risk. Austria this year, they ask Leclerc about his opinion about a 3 stopper...really?
Why was there even a discussion between Sainz and the pitwall on what to do during the SC Yesterday? The scenario of a SC should be pre calculated, there shouldn't be any discussion. You can go back to the times Vettel raced for Ferrari and will find example after example of bodged strategy calls. I don't think it's just a badly thought out algorithm. It goes on way to long for that.
The best they could do is push a lot of money to Brawn and bring him back to re-build the strategy department. It wasn't functioning reasonably pretty much ever since he left...

mzso
mzso

selvam_e2002 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 18:58
sainz days at ferrari running out.
I think not. He's mostly non-troublesome and usually can't keep up with Leclerc anyway. So the conflicts are few.

chrisc90

codetower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 14:29
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:17
Did Ferrari do the tyre test before these new blend of tyres was run?
Yes they did, which makes this all the more frustrating. Ferrari's strategy team is trying to "outsmart" the other teams but they just aren't very good. Seems they were anticipating RUS to pit so they tried to cover the undercut. Why when they were on a harder tyre, and Russel wasn't losing much time and didn't look like he was coming in any time soon... who knows.
They should have known exactly how the tyres worked. What the characteristics were of the tyre, the deg of each compound and where the cross over times are. Makes you wonder if they bothered to gather any data at all during the test period!

scuderiabrandon

chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 21:03
codetower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 14:29
chrisc90 wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:17
Did Ferrari do the tyre test before these new blend of tyres was run?
Yes they did, which makes this all the more frustrating. Ferrari's strategy team is trying to "outsmart" the other teams but they just aren't very good. Seems they were anticipating RUS to pit so they tried to cover the undercut. Why when they were on a harder tyre, and Russel wasn't losing much time and didn't look like he was coming in any time soon... who knows.
They should have known exactly how the tyres worked. What the characteristics were of the tyre, the deg of each compound and where the cross over times are. Makes you wonder if they bothered to gather any data at all during the test period!
All teams had the chance too run the new construction on Firday in Barcelona. Ferarri and Mercedes tested the '24 construction on Tuesday the week after.

JPower
JPower

codetower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 17:52
JPower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 17:16
codetower wrote:

I never said he signed up to be the #2, and I never said he "disobeyed" orders. But if last week the agreement was that if you are 2 and 3, the plan/agreement is to not fight each other but rather build a gap to the cars behind, questioning that and asking to pass when the only reason you are quicker is DRS... that is adding controversy. If this race you agree that Leclerc has the option to come out first, and he asks to be first, and you question and complain, THAT is adding unnecessary controversy. Unless you are designated the #1 driver (and this includes Leclerc, BTW), and have an agreement or team orders, then asking to override them for strictly personal gain is unnecessary.
Asking questions isn't adding controversy. Plans can be changed if reality doesn't match the prior assumptions.

Sevach
Sevach

From what i'm hearing this tire construction is gonna be kept for next races and isn't just for "super stress" tracks, like the thin tires in 2018.
I hope the team learned their lesson and uses them more aggressively going forward, teams that, like Ferrari, used to drop like a rock after good qualys (Mclaren, Williams) had solid pace and durability last sunday, Ferrari needs to be more daring.
Last edited by Sevach on 11 Jul 2023, 07:30, edited 1 time in total.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

codetower wrote:
JPower wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 16:38
Andres125sx wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 13:25

An F1 driver trying to beat his teammate? Holly Lord, he should be banned from F1 permanently :roll: #-o :lol:

Luckily 99% of F1 drivers, teams, and even fans, understand the teammate is the first and even main rival, as he´s the only F1 driver with same car, so comparisons are inevitable. Any F1 driver perfomance will be rated based on his intra-team battle first

That obviously does not mean they should fight hard as a collision between teammates is the worst thing any F1 driver can do, but that´s not been the case in Ferrari (unlike other teams), Sainz has been extremelly compliant of any TO, and has never fight Leclerc hard, so no reason to insinuate an upcoming collision on track is coming, not at all.

F1 drivers are supposed to race hard, respect the teammate, and obey TOs. Sainz is doing all of that, so no reason for your continuous defamations about Sainz, he´s a true teamplayer even if he tries to beat Leclerc, as any other F1 driver will do, and get´s angry when his own team do not allow him to race
Agreed. As was stated from the outset, Sainz did not sign to be a pushover. He should be pushing his teammate but many in this thread seem to much rather a Verstappen/Perez - Alonso/Stroll type performance gap, which considering the results of the past 55 races they've completed as teammates, we know just isn't going to happen.

One of the main reason Leclerc- Sainz gap looks marginal is because the car isn’t allowing Leclerc to show his potential. Look at the first 4-5 races last year when clearly Ferrari was the dominant car and Leclerc was everywhere on pole on podium almost winning it all.

Slower/crapy car will always help the slower driver to minimise the gap, faster/dominant car will allow the faster driver to run away and and increase the gap.

Shal_Leg16
Shal_Leg16

About the “ He didn’t sign for No-2” nonsense,

With over 8 years in F1 will a driver like Sainz be so naive that he specifically needs to be told this “ No-2 “ thing or to be told in written?
Ffs if you are not quicker then your teammate you are BY DEFAULT the no.2 guy. These things are not be told specifically. may be it doesn’t count for back marker teams but at teams like Ferrari, RB it is evident.

If it was a converse situation where Sainz was partnering someone like stroll or Gasly or yuki he would by default expect preferential treatment. Thats how F1 has worked for years.

Im Amazed why these Equal Right Activists forget this.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Wow. Just let it all out :lol:
A lion must kill its prey.

bluechris

The point is that except some die hard Sainz fans, noone else who see with good eyes a driver driving the car, will see how much better Leclerc is.
Its the sole reason i have F1TV, to see them from cockpit driving , i always have my eyes on Leclerc, Max, Norris, Hamilton and i dont see anything special to all the others that stands out.

Sevach
Sevach

https://formu1a.uno/en/ferrari-hungary- ... direction/

Just a bigger final flap to the FW in Hungaroring, team still trying to learn before switching fully into next years car.