2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
alonsofan
alonsofan

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

flexcon wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 09:48
alonsofan wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 20:17
KimiRai wrote:
08 Jul 2023, 19:28

Fact is nobody can match Newey in this era of aerodynamics. Peter Prod went to McLaren and they have not done anything great. I think it's going to be the same with Fallows.
this is ageing like Milk so far.
He joined McLaren in 2014. :roll: :roll: :roll:

alonsofan
alonsofan

KimiRai wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 23:30
Tom McCullough:

"Fernando showed up at the factory on Sunday night after the Austrian race."

"On Monday morning he was in the simulator and in the afternoon he wandered around the design offices of the new factory, which he hadn't had a chance to see since they were completed. And on Tuesday, he was back in the simulator again."

"Between Austria and Silverstone he's been here at the factory all the time, doing some marketing, but also working with the engineers."

"He's been talking to Dan Fallows and Eric Blandin about the development of the car, giving feedback.... He has a good presence in the factory and pushes us to improve."
Nobody can beat Nando on dedication. Shows his motivation to win the 3rd WDC. He himself has said it " I may not be the fastest or the most technical, but I'm very very consistent".

He does not have one of the muscles in his chest. Guy trains extra hard to cover for it. 8) 8) 8)

-wkst-
-wkst-

AMuS video blog (Schmidt):
The car has some strange characteristics: someone told him that normally for example the car is good in slow speed corners, but in hot temps they are suddenly bad. Good to see in the quali, in damp conditions they were very good, but suddenly nowhere in Q3.

peewon

-wkst- wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 17:34
AMuS video blog (Schmidt):
The car has some strange characteristics: someone told him that normally for example the car is good in slow speed corners, but in hot temps they are suddenly bad. Good to see in the quali, in damp conditions they were very good, but suddenly nowhere in Q3.
The car was good in slow corners at the start of the season. It was also good in hot temps. Bahrain, Jeddah, etc. were night races but still higher temp than most European tracks. The damp conditions in quali was when the conditions made driver skill the limiting factor. Alonso and Max were 6-7 tenths up on everybody. As soon as the lap times dropped to close to the normal dry running, they were off by 7-8 tenths. Theres no way temp changed that dramatically in 10 mins.

max_speed
max_speed

peewon wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 15:17
Its worrying the amount of talk coming out of AM is still about track suitability and pre season expectations. Yeah they made a huge leap from 7th to 2nd but they're already back down to 5th. The tyre deg advantage over Ferrari and Merc is seemingly gone. They're not good in quali. And their car suits much fewer tracks than the other teams. When Mclaren and Merc were down, they were very confident and clear about the direction in which they wanted to go. No one from AM has given any indication as to where they want to/should go.
Great point. Team with excuse mindset will never win a championship. They got second at start (more hardwork and bit luck) so why not behave like 2nd fastest team. Krack and team's attitude from start has been to playdown things. Only reason i admire redbull is attitude. Even when they were loosing they talked and behaved like team that wanted to win.

max_speed
max_speed

I would be happy to be proven wrong but early indications about Dan follows are same as james key. Both worked under newey, joined a new team, started decently but faded away fast (could not newey concept beyond certain point)

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 19:06
I would be happy to be proven wrong but early indications about Dan follows are same as james key. Both worked under newey, joined a new team, started decently but faded away fast (could not newey concept beyond certain point)
You still don't know if Key was taken by Audi or let go.....

nowaysthatsreal
nowaysthatsreal

They are/were not quick in high speed is no secret. The upgrades did not work enough to close the gap. They have edge where mechanical grip, braking and slow speed corners. In wet they were quick because of better mechanical grip and car balance.

They need a better solution for high and medium speed where the track is more fluid vs start / stop type tracks

diffuser

max_speed wrote:
First 3 years Newey had at RBR they finished 7th, 5th then 7th again before going 2nd in 2009.

So if they finish 3ird this year, using your thinking, he 100% better than Newey.

zoroastar

max_speed wrote:
no you wouldnt love to be proven wrong haha. there have been 2 races since they came close to winning in canada and you are already saying that Fallows is a failure. this is the same car that they did that in canada, remember? you have a theory, and you and a couple of others in here come in and blast "see, i told you so", every time there isnt a podium for alonso. you guys can have your theories and maybe you are right (maybe not), but dont act like you are hoping that you are wrong :lol: if that was the case, you would realize that there are ups and downs in every team from week to week (look at ferrari and mercedes, and mclaren, and every other team etc.), even redbull, and you cant prove anything from watching one or two races.

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
11 Jul 2023, 09:37
KimiRai wrote:
10 Jul 2023, 22:05
Guy Austin (Project Manager) says wind tunnel will be completed by September 2024. I think that's the first time they've given a specific month.
Which then means 3 - 6 months to correlate it. So will be used for the 2026 car?
He said during this video (0:35) that it will be "fully commissioned" by September 2024, whatever that means. Most likely should be ready to have some effect on the 2025 car. I remember Fallows spoke something about experiments that they would like to do on their own but can't on the Mercedes one.

peewon

I guess he means fully installed and ready to operate. Which from his point of view may not include correlation. If that date includes the adaptive walls as well, then correlation from that point can be as short as one month, provided, no mistakes were made in the installation.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 11:02
I guess he means fully installed and ready to operate. Which from his point of view may not include correlation. If that date includes the adaptive walls as well, then correlation from that point can be as short as one month, provided, no mistakes were made in the installation.
Seem to remember reading on the McLaren thread that they would run both tunnels in unison for a few months.

chrisc90

diffuser wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 18:20
peewon wrote:
Seem to remember reading on the McLaren thread that they would run both tunnels in unison for a few months.
Would that not use twice as many wind tunnel hours from the allowance though??

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

chrisc90 wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 21:26
diffuser wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 18:20
peewon wrote:
Would that not use twice as many wind tunnel hours from the allowance though??
Not if one windtunnel has a heritage car in it :wink:
A lion must kill its prey.