2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
peewon

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

diffuser wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 18:20
peewon wrote:
12 Jul 2023, 11:02
I guess he means fully installed and ready to operate. Which from his point of view may not include correlation. If that date includes the adaptive walls as well, then correlation from that point can be as short as one month, provided, no mistakes were made in the installation.
Seem to remember reading on the McLaren thread that they would run both tunnels in unison for a few months.
I guess 'running' just refers to the correlation process. Running an old spec car on the new one to correlate while the new development continues on the other.

KimiRai
KimiRai

https://www.auto-motor-und-sport.de/for ... lverstone/

The training sessions on Friday at Silverstone could also be interpreted differently. Perhaps the new parts, which were on the car for the first time in Montreal, were not a profitable intervention after all. McCullough disagrees: "We understand the new package to a large extent. The rear brake vents have added to it. The data vows progress." This should be visible again in Hungary.

Aston Martin expects a much better result from the Hungaroring with its slow and medium-fast corners. Here they want to score points with good traction. Aerodynamic efficiency plays a subordinate role in Budapest. DRS is also becoming less important. Aston Martin is still struggling with its system. And even in the race afterwards, in Belgium, more should jump out. At least that is their own feeling. Aston Martin is traditionally strong at Spa-Francorchamps.

The development department at Silverstone has been struggling with a truck since 1 July. The regulations cut Aston Martin's wind tunnel time and CFD capacity. Previously, the team had been allowed to use the wind tunnel to 100 per cent capacity. The jump from seventh to third place in the championship means that it is now 20 per cent less. "We knew that this was coming. Accordingly, we have taken precautions. All teams are generally working to operate more and more effectively in the wind tunnel."

Aston Martin wants to continue to consistently add new parts. "We had something in Silverstone. We will have something new for the car in Hungary and in Belgium. And after the summer break at Zandvoort," reports team boss Mike Krack. The engineers are optimistic for 2024. Can anyone catch up with Red Bull? Is that even possible? Answer: "Hell, yes. It's possible."

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 08:05

The training sessions on Friday at Silverstone could also be interpreted differently. Perhaps the new parts, which were on the car for the first time in Montreal, were not a profitable intervention after all. McCullough disagrees: "We understand the new package to a large extent. The rear brake vents have added to it. The data vows progress." This should be visible again in Hungary.

Aston Martin expects a much better result from the Hungaroring with its slow and medium-fast corners. Here they want to score points with good traction. Aerodynamic efficiency plays a subordinate role in Budapest. DRS is also becoming less important. Aston Martin is still struggling with its system. And even in the race afterwards, in Belgium, more should jump out. At least that is their own feeling. Aston Martin is traditionally strong at Spa-Francorchamps.

The development department at Silverstone has been struggling with a truck since 1 July. The regulations cut Aston Martin's wind tunnel time and CFD capacity. Previously, the team had been allowed to use the wind tunnel to 100 per cent capacity. The jump from seventh to third place in the championship means that it is now 20 per cent less. "We knew that this was coming. Accordingly, we have taken precautions. All teams are generally working to operate more and more effectively in the wind tunnel."

Aston Martin wants to continue to consistently add new parts. "We had something in Silverstone. We will have something new for the car in Hungary and in Belgium. And after the summer break at Zandvoort," reports team boss Mike Krack. The engineers are optimistic for 2024. Can anyone catch up with Red Bull? Is that even possible? Answer: "Hell, yes. It's possible."
This article is indicative of what Ive felt for a couple of months now. They dont know where to go with the car. Teams which know the direction they're headed always talk in terms of timelines and specific upgrades. Not a great sign to be already talking about 2024 for optimism. I also don't think they're problems are as track specific as they think. I think they are firmly behind Ferrari (if their strategy doesn't --- up) and Mclaren. Mercedes too on front limited circuits which there seem to be more of remaining in the season. Hungary and maybe Singapore might be the only exceptions.

selvam_e2002
selvam_e2002

WDC champion Alonso in 2024. wait and watch. anything can happen with current FIA.

diffuser

peewon wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 11:45
KimiRai wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 08:05

This article is indicative of what Ive felt for a couple of months now. They dont know where to go with the car. Teams which know the direction they're headed always talk in terms of timelines and specific upgrades. Not a great sign to be already talking about 2024 for optimism. I also don't think they're problems are as track specific as they think. I think they are firmly behind Ferrari (if their strategy doesn't --- up) and Mclaren. Mercedes too on front limited circuits which there seem to be more of remaining in the season. Hungary and maybe Singapore might be the only exceptions.
You mean the " hell yes it's possible to catch Red Bull?"

Most teams switch the design teams over to the next year's car at or around the summer break. Remember most parts will take 8 - 12 weeks to manufacture. So the parts you're making after the break will be completed at the end of October. Some of the design teams might linger for another week or 2 depending on where in the race they are.

They might also have decided that 4th in the constructors is good enough for them, with the move, and McLaren and Alpine have a very slim chance in catching them.

They might have found that they have to change something in the car that can't be done easily in year to improve the highspeed corner thing.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 18:17

You mean the " hell yes it's possible to catch Red Bull?"
To me, that just bluster. Nobody is going to say its impossible. But you hear stuff like this coming out of Alpine all the time. Remember when they planned to out develop everyone after preseason and then finish ahead of Mercedes regularly after Monaco? Its just PR, bravado type stuff.
diffuser wrote:
Most teams switch the design teams over to the next year's car at or around the summer break. Remember most parts will take 8 - 12 weeks to manufacture. So the parts you're making after the break will be completed at the end of October. Some of the design teams might linger for another week or 2 depending on where in the race they are.
We've seen teams literally leap frog them from being almost half a second a lap behind. Merc and Ferrari have significantly overhauled their cars AFTER seeing where they were in the season. Mclaren always was going to switch but AM had such a huge lead over them. Again, it just shows that they haven't been able to identify a route forward. And thats the worrying part.
diffuser wrote:

They might also have decided that 4th in the constructors is good enough for them, with the move, and McLaren and Alpine have a very slim chance in catching them.
That would be very disappointing. Very Alpine-ish mindset, if thats the case. A team which has confidence to compete for wins should be disappointed by loosing ground from a comfortable 2nd instead of a closing the gap to RB with much more ATR.
diffuser wrote:

They might have found that they have to change something in the car that can't be done easily in year to improve the highspeed corner thing.
This is a very reasonable possibility. However, reading between the lines, I dont think they have anything specific in mind like that.

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 19:55
To me, that just bluster. Nobody is going to say its impossible. But you hear stuff like this coming out of Alpine all the time. Remember when they planned to out develop everyone after preseason and then finish ahead of Mercedes regularly after Monaco? Its just PR, bravado type stuff.
Aston delivered on their promises though. The preseason hype coming from the team was justified and they said they'd change 2/3rds of the car which they did, whether or not it worked is a different thing.

diffuser wrote:
They might have found that they have to change something in the car that can't be done easily in year to improve
Could be. It'd be good news at least.

diffuser

I just think we often try to draw conclusions from statements from team principles when they are trying to reveal as little as possible. Right now we're at a low cause we weren't on the podium in the last 2 races. The team has come out and said it is track specific. They'll return to finishing higher up at the checkered flag.

The next few races will reveal how true that is. They maybe wrong but I see no point in thinking the worst. I prefer to sit back and watch! After all, nothing I do or think will change the outcome of any race.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 23:28
peewon wrote:
15 Jul 2023, 19:55
Aston delivered on their promises though. The preseason hype coming from the team was justified and they said they'd change 2/3rds of the car which they did, whether or not it worked is a different thing.

diffuser wrote:
They might have found that they have to change something in the car that can't be done easily in year to improve
Could be. It'd be good news at least.
If you notice the rumors coming out of AM preseason were based on simulation figures. Very specific and data based whereas the statement like "RB is beatable" is a very generic statement. And the question I've always had (you can go back in this thread a couple of months and look) was how much of that jump was because of Fallows knowledge brought from RB vs their own ideas. So it remains to be seen if they consistently develop a contending car or have a peak like the pink Mercedes days due to a one off situation and then fall back down.

peewon

diffuser wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 08:51
I just think we often try to draw conclusions from statements from team principles when they are trying to reveal as little as possible. Right now we're at a low cause we weren't on the podium in the last 2 races. The team has come out and said it is track specific. They'll return to finishing higher up at the checkered flag.

The next few races will reveal how true that is. They maybe wrong but I see no point in thinking the worst. I prefer to sit back and watch! After all, nothing I do or think will change the outcome of any race.
You're correct that nothing is a given conclusion but I enjoy 'reading the tea leaves' and speculating. Last year, I was very curious about Alonso's media statements where he would keep bringing up "feeling young" unprompted which I felt was very odd. I speculated that the contract negotiations with Alpine are probably not going well a few months before the summer break in the Alpine thread. And lo behold, it comes out that Alpine were unwilling to offer him a long contract and he left. Here's the post im talking about:
peewon wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 17:59
dfegan358 wrote:
06 Jul 2022, 17:47
Is alonso coming back next year? He’s driving brilliantly. Hard to imagine alpine wouldn’t want him back
This has been an underrated sub plot of the season for me. Reading the tea leaves a bit here, but Ive found it a bit curious as to the no. of times there's been a quote from Alonso in the media about 'feeling young' or 'wanting to drive 2-3 more years' this season. Maybe hes being asked questions to that effect but it sure seems like he wants to people to know that there's a bit of racing left in him. This could be directed towards Alpine which (if it is) might suggest they haven't been very forthcoming with an extension for him. We know Piastri is lurking. Or maybe just letting other teams know that hes available as a medium term option. The buzz was they would do an extension around the summer break so we'll know in a couple months time.

draghixa
draghixa

Remember at the beginning of season Aston said that the Mercedes rear suspension is not the most ideal setup for the so called Red Bull concept?
Now Mercedes has made a change to the more Red Bull concept for 2023 and probably future cars, not only the aero parts but also the rear suspension will be modified I believe, which means that Aston will get a new suspension concept for their 2024 car which may be actually good for Aston's 2024 new car but I guess this sudden change by Mercedes will catch them a bit and they need to spend more time to their 2024 design approach. Would it affect their upgrade on the 2023 car? I don't know but isn't it weird that Aston already spent the Silverstone FP1 to test the 2024 aero parts?

KimiRai
KimiRai

peewon wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 10:23
You're correct that nothing is a given conclusion but I enjoy 'reading the tea leaves' and speculating. Last year, I was very curious about Alonso's media statements where he would keep bringing up "feeling young" unprompted which I felt was very odd. I speculated that the contract negotiations with Alpine are probably not going well a few months before the summer break in the Alpine thread. And lo behold, it comes out that Alpine were unwilling to offer him a long contract and he left. Here's the post im talking about:
I won't expand on it too much because I don't want to move it off-topic but now that I look back, I find it very weird how disrespectful their treatment with Alonso was. He's their double world champion and he clearly was driving very well despite the shortcomings of the engine and car and all the points lost that season, but the public declarations coming from the team questioning his age among other things... was that a technique to give themselves more power in the negotiation? Regardless clearly it backfired and that's a thing of the past now but yes, very weird. Whether he wins or not in this team I'm happy he switched. Not that all of Alpine was like that of course, still very capable and great people there, but at least he's much more respected here. (which again it's incredible that happened in Enstone of all places, but anyways... from what I heard he was very respected by team members and people at the ground so it must've come from "management", the same "management" who takes vacations at Sardinia rather than listen to any problems of the team... I'll stop now)

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 11:11
peewon wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 10:23
I won't expand on it too much because I don't want to move it off-topic but now that I look back, I find it very weird how disrespectful their treatment with Alonso was. He's their double world champion and he clearly was driving very well despite the shortcomings of the engine and car and all the points lost that season, but the public declarations coming from the team questioning his age among other things... was that a technique to give themselves more power in the negotiation? Regardless clearly it backfired and that's a thing of the past now but yes, very weird. Whether he wins or not in this team I'm happy he switched. Not that all of Alpine was like that of course, still very capable and great people there, but at least he's much more respected here. (which again it's incredible that happened in Enstone of all places, but anyways... from what I heard he was very respected by team members and people at the ground so it must've come from "management", the same "management" who takes vacations at Sardinia rather than listen to any problems of the team... I'll stop now)
Yeah AM is definitely a better bet than Alpine. I think Rossi was the main reason. He clearly tried to move anyone who was influential in the team. Budkowski, Prost all left on sour notes. Budkowski more subtly but Prost was pretty open that Rossi wants the credit for any success. He got support from Ocon immediately and Ocon got an extension before Alonso. Alpine wanted to test Piastri for one year in another team and then move Alonso if Piastri is good. But Piastri and his team also realised that they were being jerked around and left. I think Alonso was already unhappy with Alpine's 'negotiations' and as soon as chance came he jumped. I dont even think Alonso thought hes going to a better team.

max_speed
max_speed

Why are we beating dead horse again (alonso alpine saga). In coming 25 years alpine will not win championship, they dnt have attitude to win championship. Coming back to bold talk by krack on beating redbull.. i will prefer if Aston can walk the talk bit more than just talk. Talk is cheap and so far how updates have worked, they must be dreaming to get within 3 tenth of redbull i a quali, forget beating them.

diffuser

draghixa wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 10:59
Remember at the beginning of season Aston said that the Mercedes rear suspension is not the most ideal setup for the so called Red Bull concept?
Now Mercedes has made a change to the more Red Bull concept for 2023 and probably future cars, not only the aero parts but also the rear suspension will be modified I believe, which means that Aston will get a new suspension concept for their 2024 car which may be actually good for Aston's 2024 new car but I guess this sudden change by Mercedes will catch them a bit and they need to spend more time to their 2024 design approach. Would it affect their upgrade on the 2023 car? I don't know but isn't it weird that Aston already spent the Silverstone FP1 to test the 2024 aero parts?
I thought that was a comment on last year's rear suspension? That it wasn't adjustable enough. They could choose to buy the 2023 version if they prefer it, they're not obligated to buy the 2024 version.