McLaren MCL60

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
LionsHeart
LionsHeart

Re: McLaren MCL60

onewingedangel wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 16:38
I would like to draw attention to the mouse hole at the junction of the bottom and the diffuser in the side. I first noticed this after Silverstone, but the photo above shows that its size is comparable to what the team has been using since the beginning of the year. Earlier, someone noted that he became different, perhaps less, I don’t remember. But I didn't notice any changes. In one of the photographs that I managed to see, in comparison, they were in Austria, where this was clearly visible.

LionsHeart
LionsHeart

mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:10
mclaren111 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 16:26
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3_Yev3Lqd3I

Old, but Ted also says new Rear Suspension in Austria...
The suspension changes in Austria appeared to be some slight changes to create the appropriate gap for the airflow to meet the rear, nothing revolutionary.
Well, what can we say from the first photos: did they not bring the front anti-dive suspension to McLaren? I didn't see any visible difference.

mwillems

LionsHeart wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 18:28
mwillems wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 17:10
mclaren111 wrote:
20 Jul 2023, 16:26
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/3_Yev3Lqd3I

Old, but Ted also says new Rear Suspension in Austria...
The suspension changes in Austria appeared to be some slight changes to create the appropriate gap for the airflow to meet the rear, nothing revolutionary.
Well, what can we say from the first photos: did they not bring the front anti-dive suspension to McLaren? I didn't see any visible difference.
From what I understand , the RB anti dive require a slight lengthening of the wheelbase to accomodate the way the suspension "leans" forward on the wheel, so to keep the appropriate distances from the wheel and the "Not a bargeboard" a slight change is required.

Whether this is the case with the Mclaren or if the distances are fine but they just don't have the resource to get a new front suspension for this car is beyond me, or perhaps they just see benefits elsewhere. The rear was just slight geometry change for airflow.
I'm not taking advice from a cartoon dog

-Bandit

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

That SIS bulge....I think that they will move this next year...
A lion must kill its prey.

Mostlyeels
Mostlyeels

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 03:41
What have other teams done with it?

_cerber1

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Mostlyeels wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 07:20
AR3-GP wrote:
Hid it much better within the floor.

MTudor
MTudor

AR3-GP wrote:
21 Jul 2023, 12:55
Mostlyeels wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Please can u highlight the SIS bulge for me and tell me what is that,because it gets lost in the language barrier for me.
Thanks

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

MTudor wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:22
AR3-GP wrote:
Mostlyeels wrote:

Please can u highlight the SIS bulge for me and tell me what is that,because it gets lost in the language barrier for me.
Thanks
Yes it's this bulge:

Which is due to the mandated lower side impact structure:

It's hardly visible in the RB because they have mounted it to the monocoque lower:

MTudor
MTudor

AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:28
MTudor wrote:
AR3-GP wrote:

Thanks
Yes it's this bulge:

https://i.postimg.cc/qBFVmDph/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/76TcjwH5/image.png

It's hardly visible in the RB because they have mounted it to the monocoque lower:
https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/amp ... e-deta.jpg

Thanks 👏👏👏
Duh now it's so obvious the abriviation 😀😀😀

mclaren111

MTudor wrote:
23 Jul 2023, 13:37
AR3-GP wrote:
22 Jul 2023, 19:28
MTudor wrote:

Thanks
Yes it's this bulge:

https://i.postimg.cc/qBFVmDph/image.png

https://i.postimg.cc/76TcjwH5/image.png

https://cdn-4.motorsport.com/images/amp ... e-deta.jpg

Thanks 👏👏👏
Duh now it's so obvious the abriviation 😀😀😀

Nice Angle to see the size of it...

rayden
rayden

That fact you can see it means Mclaren are doing the best Job on this SIS bulge - no?

It is there by the regulations - so if unseen on others it's because Mclaren have better, more "shrink wrapped", aero...

djos

rayden wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 02:41
That fact you can see it means Mclaren are doing the best Job on this SIS bulge - no?

It is there by the regulations - so if unseen on others it's because Mclaren have better, more "shrink wrapped", aero...
I don't think that is a valid conclusion to leap to. The teams just have different solutions as per their own aero concepts. If McLaren's side pod solution was more shrink-wrapped, then logically it would be visible.
"In downforce we trust"

Farnborough
Farnborough

It looks as the two McL & RB are located in a similar position relatively and referenced to floor, with the RB favouring a higher tunnel architecture underneath that area, which may account for the difference we see on the top side.

The raised front tunnel on RB is a part that consistent views attribute to some of their performance advantage.

And so, it all depends on which the aero team favour as to just how they appear on the skin.

Which one is the more successful so far ? :D

MrGapes

Farnborough wrote:
25 Jul 2023, 08:50
It looks as the two McL & RB are located in a similar position relatively and referenced to floor, with the RB favouring a higher tunnel architecture underneath that area, which may account for the difference we see on the top side.

The raised front tunnel on RB is a part that consistent views attribute to some of their performance advantage.

And so, it all depends on which the aero team favour as to just how they appear on the skin.

Which one is the more successful so far ? :D
Image img via Organic

I feel the lower surface of the tunnels are maybe quite similar in terms of height, Red bull have this thick bluff edge that goes quite low to accommodate a more seamless transition for the sis protrusion on the upper surface.