Ferrari SF23

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
scuderiabrandon

Re: Ferrari SF23

Vanja #66 wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 10:58
That's a proper low-downforce wing, though I'm not sure why Baku wing wasn't used again, like in last year's race. Could be a bigger flap angle now (so bigger DRS effect), but we'll need to see the side view for a good comparison. Nice to see the flap endplate flick exploited, I believe it adds some downforce by enhancing the tip vortex when the flap is down.

Are you reffering to the wing tip?
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 28 Jul 2023, 00:07, edited 2 times in total.

Cs98
Cs98

Vanja #66 wrote:
That's a proper low-downforce wing, though I'm not sure why Baku wing wasn't used again, like in last year's race. Could be a bigger flap angle now (so bigger DRS effect), but we'll need to see the side view for a good comparison. Nice to see the flap endplate flick exploited, I believe it adds some downforce by enhancing the tip vortex when the flap is down.
Looks to me like they are moving away from the "square" \____/ RW designs, and now just going for U-shape designs, with the exception of real high DF. This wing just looks like a very detuned U-shape on the mainplane.

organic

Vanja #66

scuderiabrandon wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:26
https://imgbb.com/

Yes :)

Cs98 wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:35
Looks to me like they are moving away from the "square" \____/ RW designs, and now just going for U-shape designs, with the exception of real high DF. This wing just looks like a very detuned U-shape on the mainplane.
It's very flat basically, with minimal twist in the midlde. The mid-downforce spec is a spoon with short flat middle section, while high-df is the same as last year with single pylon. The Baku 22/23 wing was a shallow spoon design and they changes that. That wing looked like a very good and highly efficient design with flap down, so my best guess for now is a bigger flap angle on this spec.
And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

scuderiabrandon

scuderiabrandon wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 11:26
Vanja #66 wrote:
https://imgbb.com/

Would strengthening the tip vortex be more drag inducing? Also would this sort of wing tip potentially allow for more lateral expansion?

Another question for you please, the notched section on the flap, do you think this is a simple drag reduction method or are they potentially seperating due to the more loaded flap and had to reduce the chord length to prevent flow seperation?
Last edited by scuderiabrandon on 28 Jul 2023, 00:21, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Trimming flap behind actuator is standard drag reduction and makes sense for lower df wing to do it

scuderiabrandon

organic wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 00:14
Trimming flap behind actuator is standard drag reduction and makes sense for lower df wing to do it
Yes this is my conclusion aswell, but you see this on high dwf wings aswell, where the AoA is much greater and shortening the chord there potentially prevents seperation. Here we see Ferrari load the flap much more than the main plane as per usual, which is why I asked if this could potentially be the case. Both reasons originate from the low energy wake coming off the actuator

But I agree first point is more likely the case here in Spa

gordonthegun

One beam wing only?

gordonthegun

Vanja #66

The middle of the flap looks to be cranked decently, the whole wing is very much like RB. Beam wing is single element, unlike Silverstone. I'd say this basically confirms it was a structural part, combined with the bigger rear wing.

And they call it a stall. A STALL!

#DwarvesAreNaturalSprinters
#BlessYouLaddie

gordonthegun

Water-tunnel :wtf: :

timbo
timbo

Some cool shots today in damp conditions.
Notice the water vapor in front of the floor inlet, quite a pressure drop there it seems.

Sorry for the quality and framing, I'm not very good with OBS.

scuderiabrandon

timbo wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:58
Notice the water vapor in front of the floor inlet, quite a pressure drop there it seems.
https://i.postimg.cc/WbkZwxDV/ferrari-sf23.gif

front wing low pressure region

the rear wing was very floppy, noticed it in fp1 already, silverstone beam wing upper element must have been structural

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Don't know if it's been pointed out before or if it was even on previous specs, but their beam wing attaches to the endplate right at the bottom and doesn't allow for any overhang, different to most other teams

Juzh

timbo wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:58
https://i.postimg.cc/WbkZwxDV/ferrari-sf23.gif

Quite severe rear wing oscillations going on.