2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
KimiRai
KimiRai

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

From Autosport forums, good top speed but atrocious s2 and the last chicane could've been better.

Last edited by KimiRai on 28 Jul 2023, 22:16, edited 1 time in total.

KimiRai
KimiRai

KimiRai
KimiRai

https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/28/hun ... direction/

With the four-week summer break coming up after this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, Krack predicts “it will be a couple of races” before they are able to remedy their problems. “Between identifying and then trying to put the right steps in place, producing the parts in the right quantities, it will be a couple of weeks,” he said. “It will not be straightforward.”

Among the upcoming races after the summer break is the Italian Grand Prix at the fastest circuit on the F1 calendar. “Monza is a bit special,” Krack acknowledged. “I think in Monza you shouldn’t try to make too many experiments.

“We will have something for all the races that try to address step by step the points. But I cannot really say when it is fixed, because we will get more data points actually [in Spa].”

There are “a lot of little things” which explain why Aston Martin are not as competitive as they were at the start of the season. “We have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks on what is good and what is not so good. And it’s always complex because you have different circuits, you have the reflectiveness of the game – others are also moving so you have no fixed references. It takes a while always to identify really where are your weaknesses and also compared to where your car was before.”

“So it’s always a lot of things in combination and you really need to try to identify one after the other. I think we have made good steps over the last one or two weeks in terms of identifying, but bringing then the modifications this will take a while.”

Krack said he is very encouraged by how the team has responded to its recent slump in competitiveness. “I was very surprised, actually,” he said, explaining he thought he would have to lift the team’s spirits after their Hungarian Grand Prix result.

“After the race on Sunday I already prepared a couple of lines for our debrief. But the reaction I’ve seen from the team straight away in the Sunday debrief and the Monday briefing at the factory which we do with all the employees was fantastic. It was really like, okay, what do we do now?

“You could see the lights did not go off in the composites shop, did not go off in the analysis departments. The reaction of the team has been fantastic.

“It’s very encouraging to see that you do not have to say, like ‘everything is going to be better’ and all that, it was really a very competitive spirit and it’s very encouraging for the future to see that.”

mvfad

In my layman's view, it seems to me that they tried to reduce the drag and ended up losing all the strengths that the car had before the updates.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

mvfad wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:27
In my layman's view, it seems to me that they tried to reduce the drag and ended up losing all the strengths that the car had before the updates.
Exactly as Ferrari last year to this year.
A lion must kill its prey.

KimiRai
KimiRai

It may be the case that Stroll does not have the single element beam wing, which could explain the laptime difference. Would like someone to confirm this though.

edit: Fabrega said it was the case
Last edited by KimiRai on 29 Jul 2023, 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Yes I will concur the points above. Now the car can have a configuration with the same drag as rb19 but in achieving this they have lost what made the car strong at other circuits.

Almost identical traces on straights to RB

Trying to change the characteristics of the car significantly with the first upgrade package was risky

KimiRai
KimiRai

AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:30
mvfad wrote:
organic wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 23:05
Trying to change the characteristics of the car significantly with the first upgrade package was risky
If this is the case, is it a good thing that they've done it in-season rather than between seasons compared to Ferrari? They might have saved themselves from compromising next year's car, well, apart from the time and resources used in the wrong development direction.

Also, happy birthday to Fernando! 42 years old and still one of the best on the grid.

peewon

KimiRai wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 21:23
https://www.racefans.net/2023/07/28/hun ... direction/

With the four-week summer break coming up after this weekend’s Belgian Grand Prix, Krack predicts “it will be a couple of races” before they are able to remedy their problems. “Between identifying and then trying to put the right steps in place, producing the parts in the right quantities, it will be a couple of weeks,” he said. “It will not be straightforward.”

Among the upcoming races after the summer break is the Italian Grand Prix at the fastest circuit on the F1 calendar. “Monza is a bit special,” Krack acknowledged. “I think in Monza you shouldn’t try to make too many experiments.

“We will have something for all the races that try to address step by step the points. But I cannot really say when it is fixed, because we will get more data points actually [in Spa].”

There are “a lot of little things” which explain why Aston Martin are not as competitive as they were at the start of the season. “We have learned a lot in the last couple of weeks on what is good and what is not so good. And it’s always complex because you have different circuits, you have the reflectiveness of the game – others are also moving so you have no fixed references. It takes a while always to identify really where are your weaknesses and also compared to where your car was before.”

“So it’s always a lot of things in combination and you really need to try to identify one after the other. I think we have made good steps over the last one or two weeks in terms of identifying, but bringing then the modifications this will take a while.”

Krack said he is very encouraged by how the team has responded to its recent slump in competitiveness. “I was very surprised, actually,” he said, explaining he thought he would have to lift the team’s spirits after their Hungarian Grand Prix result.

“After the race on Sunday I already prepared a couple of lines for our debrief. But the reaction I’ve seen from the team straight away in the Sunday debrief and the Monday briefing at the factory which we do with all the employees was fantastic. It was really like, okay, what do we do now?

“You could see the lights did not go off in the composites shop, did not go off in the analysis departments. The reaction of the team has been fantastic.

“It’s very encouraging to see that you do not have to say, like ‘everything is going to be better’ and all that, it was really a very competitive spirit and it’s very encouraging for the future to see that.”
I wonder if they're doubting their correlations from simulations. Mercedes said they had correlation issues till March this year or resolved around that time and AM use the same wind tunnel. Otherwise them always needing time to 'dial in' the upgrades doesn't make sense. Yes, running them optimum performance may take some time but if the upgrades work they usually represent a step up immediately. Mclaren brought their upgrades and were immediately on their current pace.

peewon

That middle sector deficit is ridiculous. Its a bit strange they went for such a low down force setup when it was predicted to be rainy all weekend.

alonsofan
alonsofan

NAPI10 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 18:55
selvam_e2002 wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 18:36
9 and 10 for Alonso and stroll. not good result for them in mixed condition either. don't know what is going on with the team.
Is this the first time u visited this team thread?
AM qualified exactly where they r in terms of one lap pace. No surprise there.
I was expecting worse.
1.6 secs to pole is frightning. I think at the start of the season, we were 0.5 secs behind the Bulls.

alonsofan
alonsofan

max_speed wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 19:12
Yeah i was sure they will be outside Q3 today so bit better. I always get one thought why alonso is driving, i guess because he has hooe to get one last chance with good car. Not sure though Aston will be there in next 3 years. You have to finish 2nd atleast for 1 or 2 years to even fight for 1.
I think Alo will do 1 year of 2026 regs before retiring as a dying attempt to win the championship. But very difficult. Even if he were at Ferrari, McLaren or Merc, it would seem impossible comparing their deficit to the Bulls.

alonsofan
alonsofan

Jambier wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 20:37
The team is now a solid fifth.

I am not sure there is hope for this year, maybe there is a way to fix this maybe not and then let’s focus on next year

The issue is that we only are mid season so it will be a very painful half season to come
Couldn't agree more. We are in the midfield now.

alonsofan
alonsofan

KimiRai wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 23:14
AR3-GP wrote:
28 Jul 2023, 22:30
mvfad wrote:
organic wrote:
If this is the case, is it a good thing that they've done it in-season rather than between seasons compared to Ferrari? They might have saved themselves from compromising next year's car, well, apart from the time and resources used in the wrong development direction.
Mighty bold of them to do it.

alonsofan
alonsofan

organic wrote:
Yes I will concur the points above. Now the car can have a configuration with the same drag as rb19 but in achieving this they have lost what made the car strong at other circuits.

https://i.imgur.com/p75PhEx.png

Almost identical traces on straights to RB

The car had no fron end grip in the last chicane. Atleast that's what I saw in all the vids of Alo.