Red Bull RB19

A place to discuss the characteristics of the cars in Formula One, both current as well as historical. Laptimes, driver worshipping and team chatter do not belong here.
AR3-GP
AR3-GP

Re: Red Bull RB19

It is as Horner said. Circuit specific updates.
A lion must kill its prey.

organic

AR3-GP wrote:
29 Jul 2023, 00:34
It is as Horner said. Circuit specific updates.
Well we can save up our energy for Bahrain testing next season then

We'll get to see a full 12 months of floor development unveiled :shock:

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

stiffly sprung. On 3 wheels in the chicane.

A lion must kill its prey.

Farnborough
Farnborough

Interesting picture.

Look at rear suspension top arms, left at full compression, right at full drop to try and accommodate the track angles. effectively moving as far as they can to accept track angles ar that point.

That corner is quite dramatic in it's "banking" for both changes of direction, but you rarely a get good look at it. Many chassis come in there and get rear loose as it torsionally stresses the whole chassis.

See also that the ftont left top suspension arm is in fairly normal position, indicating that the anti roll resistance across the front axle is reasonably high on the RB. There's virtually nil aero load at that speed with nothing to compress the front left suspension and so the front axle just sits flat in relation to the track surface there.

It's another smaller characteristic in the front suspension they have with top beam type linked across the car, geometry that people only view as "anti dive" and potentially detrimental, but with many of these component and function dictating what this picture shows.
It's virtually Kart like in lifting the rear wheel to loose traction and let the front wheels steer without having a conflict from the differential ( kart having straight solid rear axle) it gives front end bite, stops outside front wheel scrub, turns into tight radius better, doesn't promote so much tyre wear. Note tyre pictures in other threads.

There's a lot here for other teans to see and appreciate. This picture captures at it's most extreme, but graduation of this is happening around the circuits mostly at sub peak aero load corners.

organic

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 13:01
Interesting outlet just above the front lower suspension pickup. I wonder if they're using cooling air to help flow in this area.
If you are more fortunate than others, build a larger table not a taller fence.

organic

Just_a_fan wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 14:06
organic wrote:
Interesting outlet just above the front lower suspension pickup. I wonder if they're using cooling air to help flow in this area.
It's a feature they've had since the Bahrain test spec rb18 and has existed on some other cars (eg Ferrari) so I don't think it's a particularly powerful tool - the energy of the flow leaving the radiators would be too low to do much with - but rather an efficient place to vent losses. any hot air pushed out here will go between Bw and RW

The outlet did move upwards slightly with the recent engine cover tweak; The engine cover cannon exit became more downwashing, probably bringing the outlet flow too close to the beam wing, so the outlet near suspension was moved upwards to compensate.

Here it is on the rb18 Bahrain spec (and its lower position is particularly evident)

And it moved upwards when the engine cover was updated at Silverstone & spa in 2022:

Launch spec rb19 outlet was similar to the post-spa rb18 in location but with a modified cross section and trailing edge profile:

And now they have moved it a little upwards with the recent upgrade, meaning the suspension doesn't insert in the outlet at all, with the shape more similar to post-spa rb18 :

That's a summary of all the changes they've made in the area. I don't think it's a big tool to handle the flow in the area personally, just about optimization of where the cooling outlets are. Due to proximity to aero devices like BW they have to modify the outlet fairly regularly in response to other flows being modified.

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 14:15
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:
It's a feature they've had since the Bahrain test spec rb18 and has existed on some other cars (eg Ferrari) so I don't think it's a particularly powerful tool - the energy of the flow leaving the radiators would be too low to do much with - but rather an efficient place to vent losses. any hot air pushed out here will go between Bw and RW
Thanks. I guess it's just "not detrimental" rather than definitely "beneficial".

BlueCheetah66
BlueCheetah66

Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:
Cooling air will never really aid the airflow, although placing some of the cooling exit there may be beneficial in reducing the outlet elsewhere

Just_a_fan
Just_a_fan

BlueCheetah66 wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 15:02
Just_a_fan wrote:
organic wrote:
Cooling air will never really aid the airflow, although placing some of the cooling exit there may be beneficial in reducing the outlet elsewhere
Well, "never" is a strong word. It's possible to use a cooling outlet to aid main flow in an area of poor flow condition, e.g. maintain attachment. I'd say that if RB were putting cooling outflow there, it's either not doing anything, or it's doing something useful.

organic

Chart showing upgrades brought to the car at each race.

Made by @LuisFeF1 on Twitter

If you'd like to compare to the other teams:

chrisc90

I presume the dark colour is the upgrade?
A key would be much better given the 3 different colours to populate the chart and no mention of the white/ grey shades and the Color.

I did keep track of all upgrades including circuit specific changes in the team thread.

viewtopic.php?p=1144131#p1144131

Official declared documents 2 posts below

SiLo

chrisc90 wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 22:02
I presume the dark colour is the upgrade?
A key would be much better given the 3 different colours to populate the chart and no mention of the white/ grey shades and the Color.

I did keep track of all upgrades including circuit specific changes in the team thread.

viewtopic.php?p=1144131#p1144131

Official declared documents 2 posts below
It's just a weird alternating shading to make it easier to see the boxes as separate. It's done terribly though, so ignore the white/grey cells.
Felipe Baby!

SirBastianVettel
SirBastianVettel

organic

Rb19 rear cake tin vanes