2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Re: 2023 Scuderia Ferrari F1 Team

Vanja #66 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:48
Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 15:30
The reality is Carlos is simply not delivering. He lost 39 points in races so far this season, all on his own. The only improvement from last year is that he's not making DNF mistakes, at least not yet. There hadn't been a driver in Ferrari that made so many mistakes in the last 25 years, at least.
Make that 51 points with today's door slamming over Piastri, and a DNF mistake. Unbelievable... #-o #-o #-o P4 was very much possible and P5 was easily in the bag. #-o #-o #-o

Solid pace from Leclerc, unexpected after Q for me, I was sure they will be eating the tyres sooner than Merc and not to mention RB. I still think they could have gotten P4 in Hungary without that horrid pit stop for Leclerc, but the gap would have been huge in any case. Not sure what's going on with the tyres, maybe they made a better setup than Merc with no dry practice basically. 3rd podium for Leclerc, it's gonna be hard to get to P3 in WDC but if his wall makes no mistakes in the next 10 races they can recover the gap to Hamilton and I believe Alonso will be a sitting duck with AMR23 going steadily backwards on pace.

JPower wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:40
Unlucky result for Sainz.
We can't talk about luck anymore, he gets overwhelmed on the start and makes mistakes so often. He slammed the door on Russell in Texas last year and he did it again today. If he didn't lock up there could have been some debate. He had a lot of room on the outside to Hamilton on entry to give space to Piastri who was closing in and did not make any mistake on braking, so we really can't say it was Piastri dive bombing. By the apex, Hamilton took the room on the inside he was given and Sainz was already taking the tight line and completely ignored Piastri. It was unlucky for Piastri, not Sainz.
Agree with you. Carlos strong point in 2021 was his consistency and the way he was driving with a cool head, and avoid chaos. That's mainly what allowed him to outscore Charles, rather than raw performance.
This year, he lost it, even if it's better than last year when he DNF for no reasons.

This Ferrari is far from perfect but I believe it's consistently faster than Merc (even if Hamilton makes it looks good) and AM since Canada. It's only due to operational mistakes and bozo moments that Ferrari isn't closer in both championship.
Charles had more bad luck with one mechanical DNF so he has an excuse, but Carlos should be fighting with Alonso and Hamilton in the WDC.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:43
Vanja #66 wrote:
Vanja #66 wrote:
16 Jul 2023, 15:30
The reality is Carlos is simply not delivering. He lost 39 points in races so far this season, all on his own. The only improvement from last year is that he's not making DNF mistakes, at least not yet. There hadn't been a driver in Ferrari that made so many mistakes in the last 25 years, at least.
Make that 51 points with today's door slamming over Piastri, and a DNF mistake. Unbelievable... #-o #-o #-o P4 was very much possible and P5 was easily in the bag. #-o #-o #-o

Solid pace from Leclerc, unexpected after Q for me, I was sure they will be eating the tyres sooner than Merc and not to mention RB. I still think they could have gotten P4 in Hungary without that horrid pit stop for Leclerc, but the gap would have been huge in any case. Not sure what's going on with the tyres, maybe they made a better setup than Merc with no dry practice basically. 3rd podium for Leclerc, it's gonna be hard to get to P3 in WDC but if his wall makes no mistakes in the next 10 races they can recover the gap to Hamilton and I believe Alonso will be a sitting duck with AMR23 going steadily backwards on pace.

JPower wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 16:40
Unlucky result for Sainz.
We can't talk about luck anymore, he gets overwhelmed on the start and makes mistakes so often. He slammed the door on Russell in Texas last year and he did it again today. If he didn't lock up there could have been some debate. He had a lot of room on the outside to Hamilton on entry to give space to Piastri who was closing in and did not make any mistake on braking, so we really can't say it was Piastri dive bombing. By the apex, Hamilton took the room on the inside he was given and Sainz was already taking the tight line and completely ignored Piastri. It was unlucky for Piastri, not Sainz.
Agree with you. Carlos strong point in 2021 was his consistency and the way he was driving with a cool head, and avoid chaos. That's mainly what allowed him to outscore Charles, rather than raw performance.
This year, he lost it, even if it's better than last year when he DNF for no reasons.

This Ferrari is far from perfect but I believe it's consistently faster than Merc (even if Hamilton makes it looks good) and AM since Canada. It's only due to operational mistakes and bozo moments that Ferrari isn't closer in both championship.
Charles had more bad luck with one mechanical DNF so he has an excuse, but Carlos should be fighting with Alonso and Hamilton in the WDC.
No the SF 23 is not quicker than the Mercedes overall. It has been quicker in specific tracks but overall the Mercedes has been way more consistent.

organic

. At Austria Ferrari was faster. At Canada Ferrari was faster. At Belgium Ferrari was faster. Silverstone race & some qualifying sessions (many with wet weather where Ferrari struggles to fire up tyres) the car has struggled since Canada. But sure it's been tight with Merc but the car has had the race pace advantage over Merc since Canada. It is clear

Across the season, I would say it's equal with Merc. Baku, Monaco Bahrain were Ferrari whilst Saudi, Australia, Barcelona were better for Merc

If you add up the tracks of who had the faster car across the season so far going by Leclerc Vs the fastest mercedes, Ferrari has had the advantage in a small way or about equal

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:47
Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:43
Vanja #66 wrote:

No the SF 23 is not quicker than the Mercedes overall. It has been quicker in specific tracks but overall the Mercedes has been way more consistent.
I said since Canada.
On race pace data both Ferrari were quicker in Montreal. If they were starting a bit higher they would've catch Hamilton surely, and probably Alonso too. Keeping in mind it's one of the three Hamilton favorite track/where he's the fastest.
In Austria, Sainz got penalized + he had a slow stop but Leclerc finished 2nd confortably, both Merc where nowhere that weekend.
In Silverstone, a track who should favor Merc and were Hamilton is the strongest historically (Hungary and Canada too). Russell spent the entire first stint not being able to overtake Leclerc, and Hamilton closed the gap to a second only at the very end of the first stint. Both Ferrari had a terrible strategy, Leclerc pitting too early, but we don't what would've happen if Leclerc would've stayed out as he was on the medium tyres while Russell was on the soft.
In Hungary, without operational disaster/Leclerc penalty, at least one of the Ferrari would've finished ahead of Russell. Hamilton starting from pole, and on his strongest track of the year wasn't reachable.
Today, Leclerc clearly managed the pace. Leclerc even catched Perez on the middle of the 2nd stint bringing down the gap to +4 seconds. Had Sainz not had a shunt in T1 he would've finished surely ahead of Russell and Alonso, and probably challenged Hamilton.

They seemed to have solved the tyre deg issue for me, and the top speed is good. The car is just a king of poor man's SF90. It share some characteristics with the Williams.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 17:51
. At Austria Ferrari was faster. At Canada Ferrari was faster. At Belgium Ferrari was faster. Silverstone race & some qualifying sessions (many with wet weather where Ferrari struggles to fire up tyres) the car has struggled since Canada. But sure it's been tight with Merc but the car has had the race pace advantage over Merc since Canada. It is clear

Across the season, I would say it's equal with Merc. Baku, Monaco Bahrain were Ferrari whilst Saudi, Australia, Barcelona were better for Merc

If you add up the tracks of who had the faster car across the season so far going by Leclerc Vs the fastest mercedes, Ferrari has had the advantage in a small way or about equal
We agree then, I'm not the only one to think about it.
Hamilton is just very consistent and managed to qualify the car pretty well/and we were on arguably his strongest tracks (Budapest, Montreal and Silverstone).

Ofc over the season it's more equal. But as you see the race you mentioned happened at the beginning of the year. So, it's a good sign in terms of development of the car. + Barcelona is always the strongest track for Mercedes, every single year.

Xyz22
Xyz22

organic wrote:

Organic the SF 23 had maybe better highs but also worse lows. Moreover we all know how Mercedes is better at maximizing points even during difficult weekends.

Ferrari was not faster in Canada. They were more or less the same. In Silverstone Mercedes was quicker and in Hungary as well.

It's track specific with the difference that Merc is always "there". They were slightly slower today and finished just 1 position behind. Ferrari was slower in Hungary and finished behind a car that started from the back. That's the huge difference.
Last edited by Xyz22 on 30 Jul 2023, 18:05, edited 1 time in total.

Sevach
Sevach

organic wrote:

Leclerc could've had a solid result at Silverstone if Ferrari wasn't so frightened of tire wear and using softs, he had a solid lead over Hamilton until the strategy team decided it was time to do something dumb.
Last edited by Sevach on 30 Jul 2023, 19:43, edited 1 time in total.

organic

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:05
organic wrote:

Organic the SF 23 had maybe better highs but also worse lows. Moreover we all know how Mercedes is better at maximizing points even during difficult weekends.

Ferrari was not faster in Canada. They were more or less the same. In Silverstone Mercedes was quicker and in Hungary as well.

It's track specific with the difference that Merc is always "there". They were slightly slower today and finished just 1 position behind. Ferrari was slower in Hungary and finished behind a car that started from the back. That's the huge difference.
At Canada Leclerc had the same pace as Max in free air. They were at least second force.

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xyz22 wrote:
organic wrote:

They were clearly.
Keeping in mind they were not in clear air for the stint on the Mediums.

Xyz22
Xyz22

Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:26
Xyz22 wrote:
organic wrote:

They were clearly.

This comparison doesn't make a lot of sense (actually 0) because is not fuel corrected. Ferrari pitted for hard tyres way later than Mercedes.

I agree with you that Ferrari was decent in Canada. Way faster than Mercedes? I doubt that.

codetower

Sevach wrote:
organic wrote:

Leclerc could've had a solid result at Silverstone if Ferrari wasn't so frightened of tire wear and using softs, he still had a solid lead over Hamilton.
Keep in mind, this race was a little cooler so the SF23 was able to get into the right tyre window a little easier. It's the hot tracks that give us more problems with tyre deg.

organic

I'm not convinced heat will hurt them. We haven't had a hot race since.. I don't know when. But with the post-canada characteristics I don't see why they would be cooking their tyres again like they used to.

The main problems I see now are raw pace - the car needs more downforce. And secondly wind sensitivity. Every time there is a wind affected session, both Ferrari drivers are off track constantly and having a lot of balance problems.

In the race Charles had a few moments due to the wind and lost some time

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

organic wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 19:35
I'm not convinced heat will hurt them. We haven't had a hot race since.. I don't know when.
A week ago in Hungary. It's okay, you are forgiven :lol: :lol:

Spoutnik
Spoutnik

Xyz22 wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:58
Spoutnik wrote:
30 Jul 2023, 18:26
Xyz22 wrote:

They were clearly.

This comparison doesn't make a lot of sense (actually 0) because is not fuel corrected. Ferrari pitted for hard tyres way later than Mercedes.

I agree with you that Ferrari was decent in Canada. Way faster than Mercedes? I doubt that.
It make sense if you put into perspective with the race itself.
Both Ferrari started 10th and 11th, and were 9th and 12th at the end of the first lap. Nevertheless Leclerc finished +4.5 seconds behind Hamilton, and Sainz +7 seconds.

With a field this close between AM-Merc-Ferrari, this is a "huge" gap in performance.

scuderiabrandon

Not sure what to expect from Zandvoort, I assume Monza and Singapore can both be on the stronger side for us.

The 3 races after that will require us to make a step forward otherwise they'll be ugly. Especially Qatar. I hope to see a new floor that follows the trend of Red Bull, McLaren. They all have very interesting 3D like extruded details on the venturi tunnel roof which we seem to completely lack.