2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

This forum contains threads to discuss teams themselves. Anything not technical about the cars, including restructuring, performances etc belongs here.
organic

Re: 2023 Aston Martin | Aramco | Cognizant F1 Team

Original interview between Ted and Krack where Ted enquires about a possible mandated front wing change:

Polish report:

This is the polish f1 enthusiast/journalist who reports
Ted Kravitz pressed Mike Krack on the subject of misguided tweaks and changes to the car. In the conversation there was an interesting theme of changes forced on Aston Martin by the FIA. The team boss neither confirmed nor denied the...
I believe that's the source of this part of the rumour

issey
issey

Here is the interview from the guy that tweeted this with the theory of the loophole.
Now tell me there isn’t something suspicious going on

KimiRai
KimiRai

organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:31
Original interview between Ted and Krack where Ted enquires about a possible mandated front wing change:
I remember a few days ago someone said that AM were unhappy with the front wing in general, but again not sure if this is related at all and also another piece of information said that the canada upgrades did screw up the rear, so there's rumours for everyone's tastes. Personally the upgrades theory makes more sense to me but I wish we had more information as we're basically walking in darkness so we'll have to wait.
KimiRai wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 20:17
Two unreliable rumours that I have no idea where they come from say: Canada sidepods create unintended effect on the rear, and AM are unhappy with the front wing in general.
Last edited by KimiRai on 01 Aug 2023, 00:34, edited 3 times in total.

organic

Yes I have my tinfoil hat fully equipped. All aboard the crazy train to conspiracy city

For me, Ted is not asking that question if there isn't already a paddock rumour going around. People like Ted who speak to everyone in the paddock - all different teams - and has been around for so long he has connections in important places.. it wouldn't surprise me if he finds out rumours first. So him being the one to ask the question is important

Krack was evasive in the conversation, but they were going into significant detail about the technical side of their car so even if there was no foul play i can understand why he spoke as he did.

Not sure that we will find out any more about this with the summer break happening.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

scuderiabrandon wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:20
AR3-GP wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:02
scuderiabrandon wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 22:27
[

There is a lot to consider with the Canadian GP. Ferrari were really competitive, probably 2nd force but due to being out of place in qualifying had to opt for the 1 stop and couldn't really fight forward. I recall FA and LH having a battle. AM and MB were quite close in that race where I believe MB should've been much weaker due to the rear limited nature of the circuit.
Alonso had the issue that he was managing though. I think he could have dropped Hamilton by some margin without it.
I also recall him saying "it was like 70 laps of qualifying" in a post race interview
He was driving at the limit of what made sense, but at the same time the engineer was begging him to lift and coast ever lap.
A lion must kill its prey.

AR3-GP
AR3-GP

issey wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:32
Here is the interview from the guy that tweeted this with the theory of the loophole.
Where there's smoke, there's a fire...

Could it just be as simple as front wing flexing? Let's not beat around the bush, they hired a bunch of adrian newey disciples :lol:

They were very strong in the low speed, and usually a strong front wing load is required for this.
A lion must kill its prey.

scuderiabrandon

AR3-GP wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:58
issey wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:32
Where there's smoke, there's a fire...

Could it just be as simple as front wing flexing? Let's not beat around the bush, they hired a bunch of adrian newey disciples :lol:

They were very strong in the low speed, and usually a strong front wing load is required for this.
They were strong in the low speed due to there solid rear end, They were strongest in all the traction and braking zones early season.

example:

If you are looking for something to speculate upon it should be regarding the rear end of the car which has seemingly dissapeared. But from experience with my own team they lost all god traits chasing Red Bull in a straight line.

KimiRai
KimiRai

Aston Martin will take part in a Pirelli tyre test today and tomorrow with Lance and Stoffel, alongside McLaren. Hopefully it gives an opportunity to try something else than just the blanket-free tyres.

diffuser

organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:21
diffuser wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:11

So that picture doesn't do the preCanada version justice and it kind of cut off the Belgium upgrade. The PreCanada had a real minimal undercut. The Canada nad Belgium is still much deeper. They have restored the initial convex shape as opposed to a concave shape in Post Canada, Pre Belgium.

Fun fact Stroll Ran the Canada version all weekend, while Alonso ran the new version. I didn't see anything but the usual pace difference between the two. So I wonder which way they go?
Are you sure stroll ran the Canada version on Friday? I heard somewhere he damaged his final set of Belgian floor parts in his SQ2 incident and had to go back to old spec floor parts
Yes, sure he ran the upgrade. Posted pic on AMR23

KimiRai
KimiRai

Spanish sources report that the upgrade plan after the summer break will consist of a two race plan of Zandvoort and Singapore each bringing new evolutions, while the race in between of Monza there won't be any apart from circuit specific changes due to the nature of the Italian track. A journalist says that Fernando Alonso spoke to him off the record that "it won't be a huge package", though the team is confident it will be a good evolution. The same journalist states that more upgrades could be possible but that it would depend on whether they return to a performance level similar to the start of the season.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:47
organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 23:31
I remember a few days ago someone said that AM were unhappy with the front wing in general, but again not sure if this is related at all and also another piece of information said that the canada upgrades did screw up the rear, so there's rumours for everyone's tastes. Personally the upgrades theory makes more sense to me but I wish we had more information as we're basically walking in darkness so we'll have to wait.
KimiRai wrote:
27 Jul 2023, 20:17
Two unreliable rumours that I have no idea where they come from say: Canada sidepods create unintended effect on the rear, and AM are unhappy with the front wing in general.
I think he was very clear. The upgrades worked(my opinion, more DF less drag) but had unintended effect (lost some low speed traction).

With regards to the front wing, he said that he cannot confirm the front wing issue and then said the fia documents show we haven't updated the front wing.

diffuser

KimiRai wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 02:45
Spanish sources report that the upgrade plan after the summer break will consist of a two race plan of Zandvoort and Singapore each bringing new evolutions, while the race in between of Monza there won't be any apart from circuit specific changes due to the nature of the Italian track. A journalist says that Fernando Alonso spoke to him off the record that "it won't be a huge package", though the team is confident it will be a good evolution. The same journalist states that more upgrades could be possible but that it would depend on whether they return to a performance level similar to the start of the season.
Interesting that they don't want to create new parts if they're not fighting for #2 ot #3 in constructors race.

KimiRai
KimiRai

diffuser wrote:
01 Aug 2023, 03:48
Interesting that they don't want to create new parts if they're not fighting for #2 ot #3 in constructors race.
I think he meant the opposite, that they'd bring more if the desired level was not reached, though that part seems the most subjective. The important thing is (unless the guy is wrong of course) we now know the upgrade plan.

peewon

organic wrote:
31 Jul 2023, 20:56
That seems very tinfoily. I'd be shocked if it's true.

That said at the beginning of the season there were some comments from a team member that there are things that make them quick that aren't visible / non-bodywork related and I thought them odd at the time. But maybe it was nothing/ simply referring to floor or inboard suspension stuff
Is it tinfoily? This would not be the first time FIA would have put their finger on the scale in such a way. They banned the rear wing with rolled up corners last year, citing spirit of the rules yet somehow allowed Mercedes mirror mounting and front wing slot gap separators which are aero parts producing dirty air, which was the fundamental basis of the new regs.

mvfad

Two things stood out to me in the AMR23 since the preseason: braking and traction. But now these things don't seem as strong as before. I'm curious to see how the car will behave at Monza.